Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-23-2013, 8:46 PM

Default LA Gun Buyback

For those interested in finding some deals, LA is having a gun buyback at four locations in Los Angeles on May 4. The following is being offered:

Ralphs gift cards worth $100 will be handed out in exchange for handguns, shotguns and rifles.

$200 gift cards for "assault weapons" (as defined by state law)

More info can be found at:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/cbs2k...yback-program/

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal.
Janet Reno, former US Attorney General, 1993
Old 04-23-2013, 8:57 PM

So, what's the cheapest "assault weapon" we can put together? Anything under $200? Maybe we can turn in a lower receiver made from a 3D printer.
Old 04-23-2013, 9:08 PM
CGN Contributor

I wouldnt mind scalping the area looking for some relics/deals. Id give them cash over a gift card
Old 04-23-2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Truck View Post
I wouldnt mind scalping the area looking for some relics/deals. Id give them cash over a gift card
I've had that exact same idea!! Assault Weapons could be purchased and sent out of state, right?

FF
Old 04-23-2013, 9:41 PM

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Sell-Your-Parts.htm

Send them to numrich
Old 04-23-2013, 9:43 PM

Too far for me to drive (at 10mpg) for the two cruddy bolt-action 20 gauges I have.

do those Armour plates really stop 5.56 rounds ? what about 7.62. . . . Shoot-it

"Armor"...you're not in the UK. Google "affectation" . . . -hanko

Maybe it was to protect him from a hamgun. . . . chuckdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankarian View Post
To the OP: good luck with your new life in free America. I am counting the days until I will be able to escape this open air communist reeducation camp named California.
Old 04-23-2013, 9:59 PM

These "no questions asked" buy backs, do they keep some form of record for the sake of record keeping? Either by jotting down serial numbers somewhere on their computer or by issuing the seller a paper receipt?

It seems to me that if they truly want to encourage participation by enforcing the "no questions asked" policy, then it's a great way for dirty guns to be disposed of this way, but if they want to track the sellers or guns coming in by checking and recording the serial number somewhere, then nobody would bring in a suspected weapon to sell.

What do they really do with the so called "no questions asked" policy?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Participating in a gun buy back because you believe that the
criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because
you believe that the neighbors have too many kids.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

^^^This!

And that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja308 View Post
I don't know if I was unclear, but what I wanted to ask was if these gun buy backs

1.) check the serial on the guns turned in for owners' names

2.) make a note that SPECIFIC serial numbers/guns have been turned in FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

Anybody?
Old 04-24-2013, 8:24 AM

Departments who run these programs are very concerned about accountability. Not everyone runs their program the same way but there are some basic things that must happen in order to document the surrender. After the firearm is "surrendered" the serial numbers are checked through the NCIC/AFS data base. Any stolen guns are identified and a message is sent to the original agency that reported the gun stolen. those guns go back to their rightful owners or the agency that reported them stolen. Crime guns (weapons that have been ID'd as used in a crime) are also set aside. All other guns are entered into the data base as "surrendered". When you check the serial number it will show who the owner was and it will show it surrendered to law enforcement on the given date. Some surendered rare guns can be kept by crime labs. The crime lab will use in their testing process and they may petition to keep the gun in their collection (such as LA county's crime lab, forensic firearms unit)

Last edited by Charge_8; 04-24-2013 at 8:28 AM..
Old 04-24-2013, 8:34 AM

Oh, cool! I can turn in my $2,500 Norwegian 1911, my $1,500 U.S. WW1, or my $1,800 WW2 Luger, and get a $100 Ralphs gift card for each!

Day-um! Where does I go to gets in on dis here good deal? Can I buy beer and cigarettes with those gif cards? I loves me my King Cobras and Newports.

And if I goes out and steals me some more guns to turn in for more a dem gif cards, they takes 'em and axes me no questions? Shee-it, mutha fukka, what is we waitin fo?
Old 04-24-2013, 8:43 AM

Yeah this is something they just dont seem to care about.
A great way to get rid of a dirty gun with blood on it.
Just send your baby momma down turn it in and get some groceries to boot.
This is way better than the old fashioned way of dumping a dirty gun.
Old 04-24-2013, 8:44 AM

Seems like a great place for thieves to sell stolen firearms... What a stupid idea...
Old 04-24-2013, 9:26 AM

Ive witnessed a few gun buybacks and I have a few observations from them. While I dont agree with the "facts" as declared by some elected officials I can attest to a few thing.

1) 60-80% of the guns turned in are CRAP, not worth the $100 bucks given. Grandads rusted shotgun, that davis 25 auto you took apart and dont know how to reassemble, bring it down and make $100

2) Tons of folks who turn in these guns want nothing to do with them or they have no business owning them.I'ive seen it over and over. Guy pulls up and says "we have small children in the home and dont want the gun the house". Too cheap to buy a gun safe? too lazy to lock it up? or too scared to teach your kids that a gun is a tool and must be respected.

It never fails, guy pulls up driving a prius with a big Obama/Biden sticker on the back. Out comes some family relic. "This shotgun belonged to my grand pa" or "my grandfather brought this pistol back from WWII". No mater how much he is told "man this gun is a classic, you could sell it and make a lot of money" the words fall on deaf ears. youll hear people say " I dont belive in guns, i want it out of my home".

3) There are a few people who turn in guns for legitimate financial needs. Old folks on fixed incomes mostly. They get rid of a rusty goose gun and now they have $100 bucks for food/beer or whatever.

4) Yes, you do ocasinally get the criminal who dumps his gun at these things. Wether its a stolen gun or a gun used in a crime.

5) The rarest appearance of them all is the legitimate gun owner showing up at one of these things. If he does show up its because he has another motive (ill take this crap Lorcin and get a $100 bucks and use that $100 for a gun I really want). I have yet to meet a real red blooded gun owner say "I'm here turning in my guns to lower crime".

these are just some candid observations.

Last edited by Charge_8; 04-24-2013 at 9:31 AM..
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM

So does the seller receive a receipt WITH THE SERIAL # on the paper as proof that pistol/rifle/lower with serial # 424552 has been turned in on 10/10/2010 for any future reference?

Or is it all just all on words? If indeed receipts are issued, then its not really "no questions asked" is it?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No receipt you put in back of car or truck they take firearm you roll forward and get your voucher and you leave.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 PM

The issue of receipts has come up. Again i can only attest to what I have seen.

If the individual wants a receipt the serial number is documented on report memo (a small sheet of paper with agency contact info).

A few days later after the gun has been processed he/she can get a copy of the surrendered firearm report face sheet (the cover page of the report indicating the who, what, when) and a DOJ print out showing the gun was surrendered. the print out will show the owners info and the words "surrendered firearm". They then can keep that as proof the gun is gone.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Wonder if they'd take a stripped lower...basically have an infinite supply kicking around.
Old 04-26-2013, 1:23 PM
Banned

Would they give $100 for a piece of pipe that has an endcap drilled for a nail and a pistol grip duct taped on?
Old 04-26-2013, 4:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtM View Post
Wonder if they'd take a stripped lower...basically have an infinite supply kicking around.
Why? The chance to sell it to a citizen, that could actually use it to exercise their right to keep and bear arms, would be a better idea. Especially today. Do you realize how many people are currently looking to buy a lower?
Old 04-26-2013, 4:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintelligentsia View Post
For those interested in finding some deals, LA is having a gun buyback at four locations in Los Angeles on May 4. The following is being offered:

Ralphs gift cards worth $100 will be handed out in exchange for handguns, shotguns and rifles.

$200 gift cards for "assault weapons" (as defined by state law)

More info can be found at:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/cbs2k...yback-program/
So I can get and extra $100 just for putting a forward grip on my jennings?
Old 04-28-2013, 8:46 PM

Just out of curiosity... If an AR15 lower receiver is what counts as the "assault weapon", will they give you $200 for a stripped lower receiver? or do they require complete rifles?

Lets pretend there wasn't a shortage right now. If I were to buy a poly AR15 strippled lower receiver for like $75+tax and dros, could I then sell it to the state for $200, and pocket a $80 profit? 'just sayin'
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 PM

If the ATF considers a 2 liter bottle that can be put on a pistol a silencer (and firearm)...could I sell each back for $200?
Old 05-04-2013, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

I'm curious if anyone was able to make a deal today?
Old 05-04-2013, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_8 View Post
Ive witnessed a few gun buybacks and I have a few observations from them. While I dont agree with the "facts" as declared by some elected officials I can attest to a few thing.

1) 60-80% of the guns turned in are CRAP, not worth the $100 bucks given. Grandads rusted shotgun, that davis 25 auto you took apart and dont know how to reassemble, bring it down and make $100

2) Tons of folks who turn in these guns want nothing to do with them or they have no business owning them.I'ive seen it over and over. Guy pulls up and says "we have small children in the home and dont want the gun the house". Too cheap to buy a gun safe? too lazy to lock it up? or too scared to teach your kids that a gun is a tool and must be respected.

It never fails, guy pulls up driving a prius with a big Obama/Biden sticker on the back. Out comes some family relic. "This shotgun belonged to my grand pa" or "my grandfather brought this pistol back from WWII". No mater how much he is told "man this gun is a classic, you could sell it and make a lot of money" the words fall on deaf ears. youll hear people say " I dont belive in guns, i want it out of my home".

3) There are a few people who turn in guns for legitimate financial needs. Old folks on fixed incomes mostly. They get rid of a rusty goose gun and now they have $100 bucks for food/beer or whatever.

4) Yes, you do ocasinally get the criminal who dumps his gun at these things. Wether its a stolen gun or a gun used in a crime.

5) The rarest appearance of them all is the legitimate gun owner showing up at one of these things. If he does show up its because he has another motive (ill take this crap Lorcin and get a $100 bucks and use that $100 for a gun I really want). I have yet to meet a real red blooded gun owner say "I'm here turning in my guns to lower crime".

these are just some candid observations.
This^^^^
Old 05-04-2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja308 View Post
Like the analogy, but it sure made my sphincter tighten.
Old 05-04-2013, 9:33 PM

Was watching the news tonight and LAPD showed that someone turned in a WWII German MP40. Isn't that gun a collectors item?

Old 05-04-2013, 10:04 PM

When I see the news reports about these events they always stipulate the gun must be in working condition to be accepted. I think that rules out stripped AR receivers.