Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 PM
KB1911_NewB KB1911_NewB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 115
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default Bear Creek 200Gr RNHB for 45ACP

Since plated or jacketed bullets are hard to come by in today's market and not to mention their prices, I thought why not give BC bullets a try. So picked up a box of 500 today and loaded 60 test rounds.

Recipe:
- 5.2gr of W231
- OAL at ~1.24"


Was at the range earlier today and was very happy with these loads in terms accuracy and recoil. I shot 30 rds each through glock 30SF and a full size 1911 with zero issues from both pistols.

No sign of leading from the barrel inspection - clean and shiny. Will keep an eye on them when I shoot 100+ rounds through each pistol.

Just wanted to share my experience with BC bullets in 45ACP. I've been shooting .38 cal of BC bullets for few months now and have been a happy customer.

Last edited by KB1911_NewB; 04-18-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Gutz's Avatar
Gutz Gutz is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Home is where I make it.
Posts: 4,174
iTrader: 47 / 100%
Default

Thanks for posting.
__________________
I like big guns and I cannot lie.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 PM
STI's Avatar
STI STI is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 590
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default

Here are some decently priced 200gr bullets if you've been having a hard time finding some http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/produ...&categoryId=14
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2013, 6:36 AM
toyotaguy's Avatar
toyotaguy toyotaguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 748
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

I love Bear Creek bullets, they are all i load in my 1911, 5.0g w231 under the 200g rnhb. Plus you can get them cheaper if you go to his shop and pick them up! Also load bc bullets in 44mag/special and 38 special with excellent results.
__________________
https://store.nwtmint.com/images/products/2011__orig.jpg
Proud NRA member.

Calguns Contributor

CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2013, 7:56 AM
dragon7 dragon7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 433
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

The BC RNHB 200gr is my go to choice now for several years if I'm not shooting jacketed bullets. Feeds reliably in the Glock compact .45 ACP pistols because it doesn't have the sharp shoulder like SWC do.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:42 AM
xbimmers's Avatar
xbimmers xbimmers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glendale, CA SoCal
Posts: 1,650
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Where can I get some BC bullets? I have some and have been very happy with the results and more importantly their low cost!
__________________
How do you travel...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM
sjd78's Avatar
sjd78 sjd78 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 236
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

I have run just under 4k of the Bear Creek 200gn RNHB bullets through my pistols. I like them so much I ordered 10k more and just received them this week! I load them over 5.0gn W231 @ 1.255" OAL. Very accurate and reliable feeding.
__________________
Sean...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM
sjd78's Avatar
sjd78 sjd78 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 236
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbimmers View Post
Where can I get some BC bullets? I have some and have been very happy with the results and more importantly their low cost!
You can get them direct from Bear Creek or Venture Outdoors sells them.
__________________
Sean...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 AM
sjd78's Avatar
sjd78 sjd78 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 236
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaguy View Post
I love Bear Creek bullets, they are all i load in my 1911, 5.0g w231 under the 200g rnhb. Plus you can get them cheaper if you go to his shop and pick them up! Also load bc bullets in 44mag/special and 38 special with excellent results.
Just curious but how much of a savings are we talking?
__________________
Sean...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Divernhunter Divernhunter is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denair, Ca
Posts: 5,754
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Probably not enough for you to drive up here. I am not sure the store price as I just go out to his place and get my bullets.
__________________
A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
NRA Life Member
SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club & NAHA Member
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-19-2013, 2:07 PM
KB1911_NewB KB1911_NewB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 115
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Probably not enough for you to drive up here. I am not sure the store price as I just go out to his place and get my bullets.
I picked up a box of 500 yesterday from Barnwood in Ripon and paid $45.99+tax.

How much did you paid from picking these up yourself at BC?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2013, 2:13 PM
KB1911_NewB KB1911_NewB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 115
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd78 View Post
I have run just under 4k of the Bear Creek 200gn RNHB bullets through my pistols. I like them so much I ordered 10k more and just received them this week! I load them over 5.0gn W231 @ 1.255" OAL. Very accurate and reliable feeding.
I normally set the OAL to 1.255" for plated/jacketed 230Gr - so not sure why for BC bullets I set the OAL to 1.23-1.24". Either way, they're very accurate and the recoil is mild so I'll stick with this recipe.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-19-2013, 2:51 PM
sjd78's Avatar
sjd78 sjd78 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 236
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1911_NewB View Post
I normally set the OAL to 1.255" for plated/jacketed 230Gr - so not sure why for BC bullets I set the OAL to 1.23-1.24". Either way, they're very accurate and the recoil is mild so I'll stick with this recipe.
No reason to change if its working for you.
__________________
Sean...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-19-2013, 3:12 PM
Revoman Revoman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego/Lakeside
Posts: 1,590
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Yeah, I discovered the RNHB a couple of years ago and really think a lot of them. Although Steve at BC states that he thinks the 200gr semi-wad is his most accurate bullet.

I have tried them both and am sticking with the RNHB for bullseye.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-19-2013, 3:24 PM
toyotaguy's Avatar
toyotaguy toyotaguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 748
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1911_NewB View Post
I picked up a box of 500 yesterday from Barnwood in Ripon and paid $45.99+tax.

How much did you paid from picking these up yourself at BC?
He knocks $5 off per box if you pick them up compared to if you order directly from him.
__________________
https://store.nwtmint.com/images/products/2011__orig.jpg
Proud NRA member.

Calguns Contributor

CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-19-2013, 5:03 PM
glenntuc glenntuc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 176
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

can some one show link for web site googled it came up with outhers but not bear creek. heard good things about bc

thanks glenn
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-19-2013, 5:25 PM
toyotaguy's Avatar
toyotaguy toyotaguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 748
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

He doesn't have a website. His phone number is (209) 874-4322
__________________
https://store.nwtmint.com/images/products/2011__orig.jpg
Proud NRA member.

Calguns Contributor

CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-19-2013, 7:31 PM
glenntuc glenntuc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 176
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Thanks will give him a call
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-19-2013, 7:55 PM
KB1911_NewB KB1911_NewB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 115
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaguy View Post
He knocks $5 off per box if you pick them up compared to if you order directly from him.
Thanks for the info - good to know. Will have to make the drive there one of these days in very near future as I need several boxes in different cals.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-19-2013, 7:57 PM
KB1911_NewB KB1911_NewB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 115
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntuc View Post
Thanks will give him a call
He's normally very busy in the shop (one man operation) and hardly picks up any calls but don't give up - just keep trying and will eventually get to him.

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-23-2013, 2:28 PM
KB1911_NewB KB1911_NewB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 115
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Update:

last weekend, I shot 300 rds through my Glock 30SF and about 100 through my 1911. Upon bore inspection when I got home, no sign of leading at all on both pistols and easy to clean the barrels.

So today I decided to pick up a few thousands more of the 200Gr RNHB from BC. Next things I need is more W231 (got 1/4 of a pound left) and large pistol primers.

FYI - Per the current 2013 retail price list on BC bullets, seems the base price has gone up by ~9% compares to the 2011 price list on this particular bullets (200Gr RNHB). I don't have the 2012 price list so not sure what the price was on this bullet.

Last edited by KB1911_NewB; 04-23-2013 at 2:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-23-2013, 3:01 PM
Fishslayer's Avatar
Fishslayer Fishslayer is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SanDawg, PRK
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1911_NewB View Post
I normally set the OAL to 1.255" for plated/jacketed 230Gr - so not sure why for BC bullets I set the OAL to 1.23-1.24". Either way, they're very accurate and the recoil is mild so I'll stick with this recipe.
The 200gr RNHB over 4.6gr of Green Dot is my standard target load. Love those bullets.


They do have the stepped bearing surface. Much more than 1.24" and you could run into issues jamming the bearing surface into the rifling. They're also a .452" vice the .451 of most jacketed/plated.
__________________
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-23-2013, 3:43 PM
KB1911_NewB KB1911_NewB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 115
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
The 200gr RNHB over 4.6gr of Green Dot is my standard target load. Love those bullets.


They do have the stepped bearing surface. Much more than 1.24" and you could run into issues jamming the bearing surface into the rifling. They're also a .452" vice the .451 of most jacketed/plated.
Please elaborate more on this. these bullets appear to me just like the BC 230Gr RN with the exception of hollow base. Are you saying that even for the BC 230Gr the OAL is best if set at ~1.24"? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-24-2013, 7:10 AM
Fishslayer's Avatar
Fishslayer Fishslayer is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SanDawg, PRK
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1911_NewB View Post
Please elaborate more on this. these bullets appear to me just like the BC 230Gr RN with the exception of hollow base. Are you saying that even for the BC 230Gr the OAL is best if set at ~1.24"? Thanks.
If you look closely you see a "line" where the bearing surface ends on both bullets. I seat with this line just visible above the case mouth. IIRC the 230gr is 1.25-ish and the 200gr is 1.24-ish. I plunk test in my RIA Tactical. I've found that if they "plunk" in the RIA they will "plunk" in any of my other .45s.

The perfect OAL is going to vary a little from gun to gun.

The 230gr RN I have have a lube groove and are .67" long. The 200gr RNHB are .61" and have no groove, so they are actually quite a bit different.
__________________
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-24-2013, 8:36 AM
KB1911_NewB KB1911_NewB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 115
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
If you look closely you see a "line" where the bearing surface ends on both bullets. I seat with this line just visible above the case mouth. IIRC the 230gr is 1.25-ish and the 200gr is 1.24-ish. I plunk test in my RIA Tactical. I've found that if they "plunk" in the RIA they will "plunk" in any of my other .45s.

The perfect OAL is going to vary a little from gun to gun.

The 230gr RN I have have a lube groove and are .67" long. The 200gr RNHB are .61" and have no groove, so they are actually quite a bit different.
I just took a closer look at one of the 200gr RNHB bullets and could see the "line" you were referring to. Will keep an eye on this when I reload them again this weekend. Thanks Fishslayer.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-24-2013, 8:58 AM
Dirk Tungsten's Avatar
Dirk Tungsten Dirk Tungsten is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: the basement
Posts: 724
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Does anybody know if any retailers near Sacramento are stocking Bear Creek bullets?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-24-2013, 9:03 AM
sjd78's Avatar
sjd78 sjd78 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 236
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1911_NewB View Post
Update:

last weekend, I shot 300 rds through my Glock 30SF and about 100 through my 1911. Upon bore inspection when I got home, no sign of leading at all on both pistols and easy to clean the barrels.

So today I decided to pick up a few thousands more of the 200Gr RNHB from BC. Next things I need is more W231 (got 1/4 of a pound left) and large pistol primers.

FYI - Per the current 2013 retail price list on BC bullets, seems the base price has gone up by ~9% compares to the 2011 price list on this particular bullets (200Gr RNHB). I don't have the 2012 price list so not sure what the price was on this bullet.
Do you have the 2013 price list? If so could you please post a pic of it?
__________________
Sean...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:22 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.