Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-23-2013, 2:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YubaRiver View Post
Are you talking about gun powder? Where charges can be measured to the 1/10 of a grain? (1/70,000 of a pound). Messing with charges by weight or volume could be deadly. And early experiments with the smokeless powder Herco showed problems with spontaneous combustion with taggants. And you want plastic going down the barrel of your rifle? Wonder what kind of solvent you would need to get that out?
I don't know what kind of chemicals are proposed for the tagants, and I'm not an expert in that area, but I can think of some things that would usable and would be a fraction of a milligram and wouldn't cause any barrel fouling. I would do something with isotopes, like pick a few elements that have, say, half a dozen isotopic variants each, and then use the ratios to do a tagging. It would not be easy to analyze this stuff but it would be possible and it would have no impact on shooters. A few micrograms of rare elements per loading would be all that's necessary, and that would have absolutely no impact on shooters, and operating cost to produce it would be very small. You could encode thousands of different batch IDs this way, so it would let investigators narrow things down, but not to the level of an individual purchaser or box of cartridges etc. Often investigators get a big help from narrowing things down, so this would be valuable.

One problem with this idea is it could be messed up completely by mixing a few different batches together when making a bomb, but most AQ terrorists lately have been buffoons.

Exposing Leftists
Zomblog
The future of California?
Old 04-24-2013, 5:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Arumba View Post
That's what is destroying the country today, all those anti-semantics.
hahahahahaha my laugh of the day. thank you.
Old 04-24-2013, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
I don't know what kind of chemicals are proposed for the tagants, and I'm not an expert in that area, but I can think of some things that would usable and would be a fraction of a milligram and wouldn't cause any barrel fouling. I would do something with isotopes, like pick a few elements that have, say, half a dozen isotopic variants each, and then use the ratios to do a tagging. It would not be easy to analyze this stuff but it would be possible and it would have no impact on shooters. A few micrograms of rare elements per loading would be all that's necessary, and that would have absolutely no impact on shooters, and operating cost to produce it would be very small. You could encode thousands of different batch IDs this way, so it would let investigators narrow things down, but not to the level of an individual purchaser or box of cartridges etc. Often investigators get a big help from narrowing things down, so this would be valuable.

One problem with this idea is it could be messed up completely by mixing a few different batches together when making a bomb, but most AQ terrorists lately have been buffoons.
The taggants they have tried were made of plastic and metal. Already powder companies track powder lots. You can find the lot on the canister
and serious shooters will use the same lots for consistancy. Just like food, the powder companies track the lots as once in a a great while a batch will escape a bit out of spec. and have to be recalled. They even have a batch in storage underwater of Unique powder from 1900 or so that they can compare with current manufacture to make sure things remain constant.

These bombers apparently used some fireworks powder combined with something else as the quantity of powder from the fireworks they purchased wasn't great enough for the bombs. So even if they were not experts, they accidently mixed powders.