Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-17-2013, 8:17 PM

Default Casting bullets

Hi all I was just got into casting bullets and I was wondering if the casted bullets have to be perfect from the base to the lube groves. Also does anyone have any tips for casting bullets?
Old 04-17-2013, 8:34 PM

The closer the bullets are to perfect, the better they will shoot. I know guys that skip some of the steps in casting and their ammo still goes bang. I like my rounds to be as good as I can make them. Look at videos on YouTube and read as much as you can.
Old 04-18-2013, 6:29 AM

Go to the castboolits website and you will find a ton of information. the base of a cast bullet is very important to the accuracy of that bullet. the sides of the bullet are not as important as the base as they will be resised by the barrell. What caliber and weight of bullet are you using.
Old 04-18-2013, 6:33 AM

for higher velocities, there are options of Paper patching and gas checks to ensure "perfect" bullet bottoms and sealing.

do not go to http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ you will start joining group buys for pretty mold blocks like this:

That make bullets like this:
Old 04-18-2013, 6:44 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemoose23 View Post
for higher velocities, there are options of Paper patching and gas checks to ensure "perfect" bullet bottoms and sealing.

do not go to http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ you will start joining group buys for pretty mold blocks like this:

OK, now you've done it
Old 04-18-2013, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
OK, now you've done it
you are welcome.. luckily group buys take 1 month too 12+ months over there.. depending who's making the molds..

I am still waiting, but it has allowed me to keep gathering "stuff" and practice on some Lee moulds once the weather gets better here.
Old 04-18-2013, 6:50 AM
Veteran Member

That one on the left has some strange frosting or crystallizing on top.. I wonder which alloy he is using?

In most cases, it really depends on the range that you will be shooting.. if under 30 yards, they don't need be perfect.. if shooting past 50 yards, I'd try to get them as perfect as possible.. it also depends on what you want to hit.. Tiny targets at long distance? Try for consistency.. 10" plate @ 100 yards.. don't need to be as perfect..
Old 04-18-2013, 7:08 AM
Calguns Addict

It's not hard to get perfect bullets. You have to cast at the correct temperature for the alloy and get it to fill out the mold. So the mold needs to be hot too. Then you need to keep the alloy hot while pouring it into the mold. What I do is this: I marry the male spout on the ladle with the female funnel in the sprue plate. I hold them together for five seconds. What this does is transfers heat to the sprue plate and gets the bases to fill out. In fact, my bases are razor sharp and if they were not made of lead they would cut skin. This slows down your casting a bit but its well worth the results. Otherwise the bases will be slightly rounded and will vary. The sprue plate is the one thing on the mold that loses heat the fastest and it just happens the quality of the base of the bullet is the most important factor in accuracy.
Old 04-18-2013, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

I occasionally shoot next to a guy at the range who casts his own bullets for his vintage rifles. He shoots in competition with these guns and is very focused on quality and consistency. The bullets he casts are more perfect in every respect than anything you could buy commerically.

I have watched him shoot 10 shots through the same hole at 100yds with open tang sights. Not a large ragged hole, a single round hole, just slightly larger than the original caliber.

The tools he uses to get these results are decidedly primitive, mainly it is about his know-how and skill.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Make sure you keep your mold at the optimum temperature, and add a bit of tin to your lead to help properly fill the cavities. Run your bullets through a sizing die for uniform sizing.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM

gemoose23 is that a Mihec mold you are showing.
Old 04-18-2013, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koehn,jim View Post
Go to the castboolits website and you will find a ton of information. the base of a cast bullet is very important to the accuracy of that bullet. the sides of the bullet are not as important as the base as they will be resised by the barrell. What caliber and weight of bullet are you using.
Well at the current moment I cast for my 45acp and I use the lee 45acp mold that I can tumble lube. But I was wondering I heard that I didnt have to size most of the time. Also I will be useing these rounds for practice and competition use
Old 04-18-2013, 7:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

my goal is just to weed out ones that cast undersize with the lee sizer die

some of the butts look rounded over but i figure at my low velocity its not critical
Old 04-18-2013, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastar310 View Post
Well at the current moment I cast for my 45acp and I use the lee 45acp mold that I can tumble lube. But I was wondering I heard that I didnt have to size most of the time. Also I will be useing these rounds for practice and competition use
Yes, you can shoot them as cast. They will prolly shoot better that way.
Old 04-18-2013, 8:17 PM

But for imperfected bullets, is it doesnt have to be perfect if it were just for practice vs the ones I used for competitions right? And if i shoot imperfect bullets, does it really affect accuracy since Im shooting under 50yards?
Old 04-18-2013, 8:39 PM

Quote:

Come on man, that's not even fair comparison to the commercially available molds. I was reading the castingboolits and I think the guy quit his day job and is making molds for all of us in the US full time now because of the demand. Maybe he'll get around to the 22 Nato and 10mm molds by this time next year. It will be worth the wait.
Old 04-18-2013, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
But for imperfected bullets, is it doesnt have to be perfect if it were just for practice vs the ones I used for competitions right? And if i shoot imperfect bullets, does it really affect accuracy since Im shooting under 50yards?
I'll put it this way: say you have a gun that shoots 3" groups at 25 yards with factory ammo. If you load "imperfect" bullets, you'll be lucky to hit paper. A 1" gun will likely shoot 6" with "imperfect" bullets. The base of the bullet must be square with the bore else gas will escape sooner on one side than the other as the bullet exits the muzzle and this will induce a wobble. Why do you think the quality of the muzzle crown is so important for accuracy?
Old 04-19-2013, 4:55 AM

I'm not holding my breath but I'm in on the Nato 22 mold group buy list! Guess there will be no rush getting any gas checks.
Old 04-19-2013, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koehn,jim View Post
gemoose23 is that a Mihec mold you are showing.
yep. 10mm/ 40S&W mold. I hope with Miha leaving his job to go mold production full time his GB times will be reduced.

Good things come to those that wait, I keep telling myself.

Quote:
If you take care of your casting factors (i.e. right lead mix, heat your mold and cast at a good temp) you'll end up with something shoot-able definitely. If they cast and you dislike them as they come out of the mold, you can always retoss into the pot, change factors to improve quality and cast again.. no loss of lead.

Last edited by gemoose23; 04-19-2013 at 6:06 AM..
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM

I see, because one thing that Im having problems with is the base.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I see, because one thing that Im having problems with is the base.
Pics.. but from the troubleshooting I have read, you aren't casting hot enough or preheating your molds.

Gotta say more here or pictures.. What mold you using, gas checks, etc?
Old 04-19-2013, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Pics.. but from the troubleshooting I have read, you aren't casting hot enough or preheating your molds.

Gotta say more here or pictures.. What mold you using, gas checks, etc?
Could also be not waiting long enough for the cast bullet to set up a little , causing wipe.

Need pics

Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones , cause I got a sling shot

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.
Old 04-19-2013, 3:00 PM

Are some of the bases ok and others rounded or are all of them bad. pjotos would help.
Old 04-19-2013, 4:40 PM

sharp bases are very important and will affect accuracy more than any other imperfection, go to the cast boolits site and read the sticky things
Old 04-19-2013, 9:29 PM

Well I use the lee 45acp 2 cavity mold with the lee 10lb pot and I use wheel weights. Everything on the bullet is good other than some bullets having small swirls on the tip of the projectile and sometimes the bullet lube area is frosted and of course the bullet base is not perfect.

It looks similar to this but not as bad.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 PM

you arent waiting for the lead to cool off enough. When casting make sure the lead solidifies before moving the sprue plate. Also make sure it is on tight. Swirls are bad. They are called wrinkles and it means its too cold. Frosting is too hot. But its better to be frosty rather than wrinkly. Good luck FYI stick on wheel weights are pure lead.
Old 04-20-2013, 6:18 AM

If you have just started recently do not use new wheel weights, they are not lead. California banned lead in wheel weights several years back. You can always buys alloy from Rotometals or get it on the internet.
Old 04-20-2013, 8:42 PM

This is what I cast yesterday

300 lyman 525 grain 12 gauge slugs

If you are like me and calculate your ammo cost by price per round to the tenth of a cent. Casting can really cut down on ammo cost.

And once you get into custom molds your possibilities are endless.

I love the huge hollow point in the mold above.

Last edited by M27; 04-20-2013 at 8:47 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 9:02 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

^^^^ Those look good!
Old 04-21-2013, 6:00 AM

Love those Lyman 525 grain slugs! STS hull, 25 gr Herco, W209 primer & WAA12 wad.
Old 04-22-2013, 5:34 PM

so anyone have any tips on casting perfect bullet? Also do I need to size or can I just tumble lube and load them?
Old 04-22-2013, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M27 View Post
This is what I cast yesterday

300 lyman 525 grain 12 gauge slugs

If you are like me and calculate your ammo cost by price per round to the tenth of a cent. Casting can really cut down on ammo cost.

And once you get into custom molds your possibilities are endless.

I love the huge hollow point in the mold above.
Looking good! At first glance they looked like .177 air gun pellets.
Old 04-22-2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
so anyone have any tips on casting perfect bullet? Also do I need to size or can I just tumble lube and load them?
heat mold hot I like my boolits a little frosty ( thats hot enough that they fill out sharpley) look also if close to size like 1-2 thos over grove diameter shooting as cast with a tumble lube is Ok

check the cast boolits sight and read the sticky things all you will ever want to know about casting

you want boolits bigger than grove 1-2 tho and with a flate and fully filled out base.
Old 04-22-2013, 8:28 PM

Easy way to get your mold up to temp and stay there is to use a small electric coffee mug warmer.

Get into a rythm while your casting ,pour sing 1 potatoe 2 potatoe 3 potatoe 4 , hit sprue plate and dump, close up mold and sprue then rinse and repeat.
You'll find a rythm that works for you.

Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones , cause I got a sling shot

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.
Old 04-22-2013, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

Easier way to get it up to temp is to put your mold on top of the pot while you wait for the lead to melt.. the heat goes up.. and with the mold on top, it will warm up just fine..
Old 04-23-2013, 7:34 PM

Okay I knew that I had to wait a tad bit longer for the spur. Also when loading them, how far should the bullet be seated because Im assuming that I should stop where the bullet lub area begins. That gives me a coal of 1.25. Also should I apply a crimp or no crimp and how would I know if I need to crimp it. I placed the non crimped bullet in my barrel and it fits it perfectly.
Old 04-23-2013, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

HEY !!!!!! The thread title is spelled wrong. It should be Boolits!!!

Since we are talking about boolits, I will go ahead and post a photo of mine. They are not as purdy as the photo above, but hopefully the PID controller I am going to build will help with that. I should be getting my PID parts tomorrow

Old 04-24-2013, 4:50 AM

You will love the PID controller. I put one together at the end of last year and it sure beats using the thermostat in my pot. Nice to dial in a temperature and have it stay right there not way over/under.
Old 04-24-2013, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Okay I knew that I had to wait a tad bit longer for the spur. Also when loading them, how far should the bullet be seated because Im assuming that I should stop where the bullet lub area begins. That gives me a coal of 1.25. Also should I apply a crimp or no crimp and how would I know if I need to crimp it. I placed the non crimped bullet in my barrel and it fits it perfectly.
I prefer to seat the Bullet so it feeds reliably, with the longest COAL.

1.25 sounds like you are loading for .45 ACP. Depending on the profile of your bullet, but 1.25 sounds like a good staring point.

Crimping is done with your dies, roll or taper depending on caliber, again if 45 ACP, just a light crimp is what I prefer. (Cannot hand push my boolits in)
Old 04-24-2013, 4:22 PM

I see, I was wondering what type of moulds do you guys use or recommend for 45acp and also do you guys recommend a size/luber?