Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-22-2013, 9:37 AM

Default Ammo buying?

So those getting butt raped on the price and buying it anyways are you actually going to shoot the ammo or is it one of those i got to have ammo things?

I myself just refuse to buy into the whole shortage thing i have some but not thousands and sure as heck aint going to pay 80 cents a round for .223

I am sure some was bought to flip it and make some money which IMO is fine you can take advantage of supply and demand if people are crazy enough to fall for it.
Old 01-22-2013, 9:39 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
aint going to pay 80 cents a round for .223
How about if it gets to $1.60 per...........will you wish you had then?

That is the way these things work. The market goes up and down, and does not care...........you, the seller or buyer, have to be right.
Old 01-22-2013, 9:41 AM
Banned

The only ones buying now are those who are trying to make a fast buck. I stocked up before, so I will wait until these idiots get stuck with ammo they don't need and purchase it back at a quarter of what they paid.
Old 01-22-2013, 9:44 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleeocinca View Post
The only ones buying now are those who are trying to make a fast buck. I stocked up before, so I will wait until these idiots get stuck with ammo they don't need and purchase it back at a quarter of what they paid.
Which would be factory .223 @.20.

Wait.

Last edited by paul0660; 01-22-2013 at 9:50 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 9:47 AM
Banned

You have to pick and choose what you purchase. Midway had 5.56 ammo today for $0.44 per round, so I bought 500 rounds. Only a fool would pay $1.00 or more per round.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
How about if it gets to $1.60 per...........will you wish you had then?

That is the way these things work. The market goes up and down, and does not care...........you, the seller or buyer, have to be right.
I reload all my rifle and at 1.60 i'd rather shoot my 300 mag more often.Been shooting for years i use to just blast away but now i kinda like to take my time and shoot at a slower pace just my way now.

As of now it cost me double to load .223 and .45 vs 6 years ago but only a couple cents more for 300 mag.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:14 PM

Unhappy stuck in the middle

It sucks though if you very recently purchased a gun and have been looking for ammo. I do have 100 rounds that I purchased with the gun. But after that, what do ya do??????
Old 01-22-2013, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffme View Post
It sucks though if you very recently purchased a gun and have been looking for ammo. I do have 100 rounds that I purchased with the gun. But after that, what do ya do??????
Be patient and wait/look for deals...depending on what caliber you bought...you shouldn't be in that bad a shape.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15robert View Post
So those getting butt raped on the price and buying it anyways are you actually going to shoot the ammo or is it one of those i got to have ammo things?

I myself just refuse to buy into the whole shortage thing i have some but not thousands and sure as heck aint going to pay 80 cents a round for .223

I am sure some was bought to flip it and make some money which IMO is fine you can take advantage of supply and demand if people are crazy enough to fall for it.

I have not purchased ammo with the exception of 22lr in a very long time. Like, 8 months or so because MY attitude is, I have the gear, I will make my own!

Except today Ammo bros got $70 for 100 rounds in 10mm.

BUT!, HEAR ME OUT I SAY! I have been hunting 10mm brass and it is hard to find and it has been getting away from me on the auctions. 10mm brass seems more costly than gold lately. I JUST got a G20 upper for my G21 and it has a cool Jpoint red dot on it and I just HAVE to try it out and since I am out of 180 gr bullets and I have about 10 10mm shells to my name, I decided to buy some factory 10mm and see how it shoots. AND I certainly plan to reload it.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 01-22-2013, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
I have not purchased ammo with the exception of 22lr in a very long time. Like, 8 months or so because MY attitude is, I have the gear, I will make my own!

BUT!, HEAR ME OUT I SAY! I have been hunting 10mm brass and it is hard to find and it has been getting away from me on the auctions. 10mm brass seems more costly than gold lately. I JUST got a G20 upper for my G21 and it has a cool Jpoint red dot on it and I just HAVE to try it out and since I am out of 180 gr bullets and I have about 10 10mm shells to my name, I decided to buy some factory 10mm and see how it shoots. AND I certainly plan to reload it.
PSA has 10mm 50 rounds for $21.99. A good deal and at the moment still in stock.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-pp-r10-1.html
Old 01-23-2013, 7:36 AM

For years, I have been buying ammo for guns I don't have. I am a firm believer that ammo will be the new barter tool, or money.
Everyone told me that I was a fool and also told me that I would be losing money.
Well, Look at me now. I am sitting on 2 pallets of ammo from .22 long rifle, to 9mm, .30-06 to .223/5.56. I had brass coming out of my ears.
And I kept all of the paperwork.
3 weeks ago, I sold all, and I do mean ALL of my surplus ammo to 3 dealers at my cost plus 10%. I made more money than if I place my very hard earned cash in some bank that charges fees and only gives me 2.3% return.
I didn't make these guys pay through there butt hole, But I didn't lose money eather. But, I did make new friends and I sold some of my inventions.
Last thing, Even if you buy one box of ammo per week, later it will be worth more in the weeks to come. Why do I say that? Because, you may have to pay a TAX and give a thumb print to buy ammo.
Old 01-23-2013, 5:14 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy-d View Post
Even if you buy one box of ammo per week, later it will be worth more in the weeks to come. Why do I say that? Because, you may have to pay a TAX and give a thumb print to buy ammo.
Wisdom in this post.
Old 01-23-2013, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
wow..usually Ammo Bros 10MM is about 24 bucks.

I went thru the same process. No one had 10MM in stock except for Ammo Bros and Midwell (?) at the Gun Show. I decided to buckle down and reload 10MM. In the meantime on various business trips out of State I did run into 10MM in gun stores. I would buy what I could find and Fed Ex Ground it to myself. Seriously. Prices were lower out of State as well. I still have 600 rounds of Ammo Brothers in a plastic tub. Bought some 155 grain berrys' and some 175 Grain Silvertip (from MidwayUSA) because I love that round from Winchester. Got my Dillon set up for 10. Ordered 1000 10MM brass cases from STARLINEBRASS.COM...(have a new order coming as well; $157 free shipping)

Been having fun with 135 Grain Noslers-moving at about 1600 FPS..now that is fun shooting...talk about a CRACK-ZIP round. Wow. So I invested a lot of effort and money to be free of Gun Stores when it comes to 10MM. It feels good to be that way.

Get reloading. Post photos of the jPoint Red dot..

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleeocinca View Post
I'm fairly new (2yrs) to firearms. Ammo prices seemed pretty stable during this time, until the recent run up. But I've always seen reference to cheaper days and folks saying wait for people who stocked up to unload their stash for good deals. Well, I havent seen anybody unloading their stash for cheap.

I don't know about cheaper days prior to 2011, which I think we're less than half of 2011 prices. Was there a big price increase during the last ammo shortage before settling back to 2011-2012 levels? Or was the big price increase the doubling of prices to 2011 levels? Just wondering if the current prices are here to stay or will it come down once people had their fill and suppliers catch up.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

why complain...it is what it is
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Been shooting for less than a full year, but hunting for a good deal on ammo is fun and exciting! Either online or in store.

As soon as ammo comes down I am buying a whole bunch of cheap (inexpensive) bear/wolf ammo and plinking my AR till my upper shatters and the BCG explodes in my face!

I just found ammo for $8.99 a box locally. Remington .223 and Independence 5.56 both same price for 20 rounds.

I believe prices will drop back to normal. And if not, high prices will just become the new normal. I just want to get some range time in and actually have ammo to use
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 PM

Hey stop thread crapping you low budget ***
Old 04-20-2013, 2:04 AM
Calguns Addict

I did most of my buying before all this jazz started, and was lucky enough to have bought enough at a good price to keep me going even though I never thought anything like this would happen. I also started reloading before all this drama started which was a wise move as I was already setup but not too long after I started to load my own the drama started...

Recently I've been focused on just getting components, but I have been patient and seeking deals as they come along. Even during the shortage I managed to find components to keep my per cost per rounds very close to what it was pre-panic.

That said... I buy to shoot, not to resell or horde. I could sell and make some money but I really have no idea what my replacement cost would be, so I don't bother thinking about it since I paid a fair price for what I have with the intent to enjoy it.
Old 04-20-2013, 5:19 PM

Default ammo info if u have it

hi guys i picked some ammo at a gun show the ammo was sold in a factory sealed see through bag with a sticker that reads 223 federal never fired 100 rounds has any one els picked up ammo like this at a gun show if so can u tell me if it is non-corrosive or corrosive yes i know u guys may be wanting to know why the hell i would by ammo that is sold like that well its because its the only 223 ammo i could get nobody els had any 223 even at the gun show most venders were sold out of ammo by the time i got in and it was all i could get but now i need to know if its corrosive or non-corrosive if you guys know please let me know thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 6:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Punctuation is a powerful thing...

Old 04-20-2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellayella View Post
why complain...it is what it is
I wouldnt call it a complaint nor it is what it is.

Prices are hard to swallow and people are not sure if its wise to buy. Fair enough, i see the delema.

If people are having problems with prices now consider this:

1. They are trying to pass a .5 cent per round tax.
2. They are trying to make all purchases face 2 face. That means a middle man will be selling u ammo and will charge u a fee.
3. U will be paying sales tax if it goes thru a middle man.

After taking this into account, $1.50+ a round may be the future.
Plan for it now while u have time.

Sad times indeed.
Old 04-20-2013, 7:25 PM

Default ammo info if u have it

hi guys i picked some ammo at a gun show the ammo was sold in a factory sealed see through bag with a sticker that reads 223 federal never fired 100 rounds has any one els picked up ammo like this at a gun show if so can u tell me if it is non-corrosive or corrosive yes i know u guys may be wanting to know why the hell i would by ammo that is sold like that well its because its the only 223 ammo i could get nobody els had any 223 even at the gun show most venders were sold out of ammo by the time i got in and it was all i could get but now i need to know if its corrosive or non-corrosive if you guys know please let me know thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 9:24 PM

If you don't know if it is corrosive, act like it is and clean your gun immediately.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

If I had more cash, I would actually buy some just to have extra. All the ammo I have bought has been used. I was going through some classes and needed it. Now I am done with the classes, I need more ammo for practice. It is a never ending cycle.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 34" ported barrels & removable Chokes
BT-99 with 34" ported barrel, adjustable comb, removable chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 04-22-2013, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
If I had more cash, I would actually buy some just to have extra. All the ammo I have bought has been used. I was going through some classes and needed it. Now I am done with the classes, I need more ammo for practice. It is a never ending cycle.
High ammo users sometimes benefit from another shooting related hobby, called reloading.

I once felt it was a never ending cycle of acquiring ammo from LGS to feed range trips, shooting with friends, BLM visits.

Reloading has made the pressure of "ammo availability" a lot less. It is difficult to find primers, powder and some bullets, but they are out there too be had. But once you get a little stockpile of powder and a couple bricks of primers, you'll never feel worried about not having ammo for the next practice session or class.

Blah blah, read this forum stickies for reloading 101, ask questions when you have questions.....
Old 04-22-2013, 7:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
Punctuation is a powerful thing...

I liked that one.
Old 04-22-2013, 7:33 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdy1922 View Post
Holy cow.
Old 04-22-2013, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
Holy cow.
Not only that, but the jackwagon posted it twice without changing anything

Eta: check his posts. He posts that crap in everyone else's threads
Old 04-22-2013, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

11 out of his 14 posts are that same crap.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 04-22-2013, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
Wisdom in this post.
You may also find your self sitting on a pile of ammo because if you think the Libs will allow private party ammo sales then I have a bridge to sell you in Havasu.
The libs have already ststed thet they want to stop private party ammo sales and I believe this will be in their bill as well as the permit, Taxes and thumb prints.
Remember before you shoot it wipe it clean.