Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 04-14-2013, 4:54 PM
CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sat. night shoot.

Our future generation of night fighters/zombie slayers.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton
Old 04-14-2013, 5:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Thx for sharing the pics!
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 04-14-2013, 7:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It was a wild weekend, Friday was really nice. Met Charles007 and he helped zero in our AR-15... Thanks Chris!!
Saturday was a great time but the wind was brutal we tough it out til nightfall. we had decided to call it, and head home..
Can't wait till the next one!! Met so many cool people!!
It also was an honor to serve as a RSO.
Thanks for the memories!!

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788
Old 04-14-2013, 8:31 PM

We found a green 9mm amo box on the left side of the range. It has "Gun Stuff" written on the handle.

PM me if it is yours!
Old 04-14-2013, 8:38 PM

By the way, I had an amazing time. If anything the wind made it more extreme! Thanks to everyone who made it happen
Old 04-14-2013, 9:17 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post
Who made the chili with the mushrooms? That stuff was good!
That would be my wife Renee. We were in the white Suburban. We were planning on staying the whole weekend in my RV but it did not get out of the shop in time. We got there a little after 11:00 am and left about 5:00 pm due to the wind. It was good to get out and try out my new AR but the winds did us in. Thanks everybody that put the event together. Can't wait until next year so we can take the RV and stay all weekend.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 PM

While cleaning up some of the sites, my wife and I found a hatchet along with its sheath that was forgotten down on the far left hand side of the firing range. PM me with the brand (to ensure it goes to its rightful owner) and we will make sure it gets back to you!

BTW: What a blast! It was our first SSZS, and despite the wind, we truly enjoyed the whole thing, from Friday to Sunday! Met some awesome new friends, and loved every minute of the weekend! Thanks to those that coordinated the event, the RSO's, and to the Calguns community in general for being so awesome, and making the weekend great!

Last edited by motosks; 04-14-2013 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: Addition!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Owner
CGN Contributor

A huge hank you to Lonewolf, Sean Casey and all of the RSOs who helped us have a rocking time. This is definitely an event that we plan to attend each year. The wind destroyed our Quick Shade and my targets but not our spirits.

It was pretty cool to meet with so many CGers who have similar interests in firearms but divergent backgrounds. Just about every ethnic background and walk of life was represented. It truly is a community reflective of society. We are all "people of the gun."

A huge thanks to all who indulged my son Joshua and allowed him to shoot everything he was interested in. He wouldn't stop talking about it on the ride back. We even had a spirited discussion about the second amendment and how it protects the rest of the Constitution.

Thanks again to all. I enjoyed meeting and talking with everyone and if we do have a 4.5, count me in!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 PM

Default pics

a couple of my photos. I was having too much fun to take a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
Am I a bad person for wondeing why the French even need guns, won't it just slow them down as they run away

Last edited by JimA77; 04-16-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 PM

Thumbs up

My First Calguns event. Showed up 2-3pm Saturday. Wind was obnoxious, still managed to fire off a few rounds but bugged out afterwards. Too bad the wind was so bad, but it was nice to see like minded folks out exercising their 2nd amendment rights and enjoying themselves. Looking forward to the next "event." THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO TOOK THE TIME TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 PM

Default Mosin Madness + one Mauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
Am I a bad person for wondeing why the French even need guns, won't it just slow them down as they run away
Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 PM

Thanks to everyone that coordinated this great event. I too left early due to the wind. First, it blew over my easy ups causing one of them to knock over my table where my brand new AR was, other than a broken bipod and a few scrapes it survived, second, it took down our tents and last but not least, as we were taking down our camp to go home, a huge gust of wind hit us, picked up our table about 5 feet in the air and carried it over more than 15 feet before it was "stopped" by my truck. So my truck now has a 2 foot dent on the fender. It was an event filled trip but well worth it.
Old 04-15-2013, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA77 View Post
a couple of my photos. I was having too much fun to take a lot.

Nice pic, Jim! Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2013, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bako88fan View Post
A huge hank you to Lonewolf, Sean Casey and all of the RSOs who helped us have a rocking time. This is definitely an event that we plan to attend each year. The wind destroyed our Quick Shade and my targets but not our spirits.

It was pretty cool to meet with so many CGers who have similar interests in firearms but divergent backgrounds. Just about every ethnic background and walk of life was represented. It truly is a community reflective of society. We are all "people of the gun."

A huge thanks to all who indulged my son Joshua and allowed him to shoot everything he was interested in. He wouldn't stop talking about it on the ride back. We even had a spirited discussion about the second amendment and how it protects the rest of the Constitution.

Thanks again to all. I enjoyed meeting and talking with everyone and if we do have a 4.5, count me in!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Your son Joshua was having a blast!! he was bouncing from camp to camp..
He just needs to learn how to open the cookie box...LOL
Good meeting you and your son, hope to see you at other CalGun events!!

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Big thanks to all who contributed to this event. It was my first Calguns event and I had a great time. I was apprehensive about going, safety, not knowing anyone, but I met great people all day long. No issues. The 'sand storm' late in the afternoon was a bit much, however, it calmed down somewhat after night fall... The camp fire and sing along Saturday night was awesome, cheers! I look forward to next year.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM

Location: Glorious Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Even with the sunburns, operation desert storm conditioning on my guns, and defiant winds, it was well worth the drive. Thank you mrlonewolf for leading this event; your generosity is unparalleled. Thank you to all the range officers for their time. Thank you Andrew for leading the Mosin Madness. That was incredibly fun to shoot volleys. And a big thank you to everyone that shared their guns; being able to shoot such a wide variety of firearms with great company made this event unforgettable.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 AM
C3 Leader

Man oh man what a shoot...
While I can't say it was my favorite due to the wind, it was still a good shoot. I am SOOO glad I brought my little Coleman Tent opposed to the eazy up. My secret weapon was pushing my rifle cases against the walls of the tent, it kept the form of it even thru the strong winds....for the most part.

As always, the MOSIN MADNESS is my favorite part of the shoot. It's really only the die hards left.

The food was great, the company was great.

See everyone again next year.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisurfer View Post
The camp fire and sing along Saturday night was awesome, cheers! I look forward to next year.
What!?!?! I missed a round or two of "Kumbiya"?? Dang my life sucks!
Old 04-15-2013, 2:14 PM

Moyneur, here are your 2 photos.....not great pics but ok....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJB_4368 (1).jpg (92.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg CJB_4367 (1).jpg (95.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 04-15-2013, 3:57 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyASK View Post
I appreciated the range discipline, but bemoaned the long delay of 'range cold' for target dismantling by the early birds. It meant we lost so much light (:45 for target changes?) that I couldn't see the gong any longer.

So I tried to be a good citizen while waiting and did some range cleaning. I had no tools, no trash bags, and fully dirted my NRA gear bag.... It seems the earlier departures didn't do such a good job of picking up. And I really haven't a need for all the 223 brass. 'Cleanup brass' photo after cleaning our guns last night. Then- finally - shooter cleanup! Hah-hah.

Guess I'll have to come next year to watch the 'show'.
My photos attached..... thanks Cal Guns.
Thanks for your patience. We had people walking out about the time we were calling for a hot range messing up the program. It got so bad that towards the end I had to fire off a shot to let people know the range was hot (nothing like seeing people walking down when you are about to fire off a round on a hot range). We need to let people know when the range goes cold, you need to get downrange and take care of business or wait for the next cease fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 04-15-2013, 4:51 PM
Now in AZ

Earlier in the day it wasn't so bad, but later in the day we lost most of the left side RSO's and the wind was drowning out the megaphone. I have a few ideas on how to correct it for next year (multiple shifts or RSO's, every RSO with a megaphone, etc). I feel overall the line breaks went better this year than last, but still room to improve!

I welcome all feedback, positive and negative. If there is something that anyone wants to say, but not on the forum, feel free to PM me!
Old 04-15-2013, 5:33 PM

I remember the use of air horns last year to signal a cease fire. That seemed to work with no problems. I recommend at SSZS V the RSO's at either end of the line indicate a cease fire with one single, loud, extended blast on the air horn. Along with the horns and other participants shouting 'cease fire' we should solve the issue we had this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCasey View Post
Earlier in the day it wasn't so bad, but later in the day we lost most of the left side RSO's and the wind was drowning out the megaphone. I have a few ideas on how to correct it for next year (multiple shifts or RSO's, every RSO with a megaphone, etc). I feel overall the line breaks went better this year than last, but still room to improve!

I welcome all feedback, positive and negative. If there is something that anyone wants to say, but not on the forum, feel free to PM me!
Old 04-15-2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles007 View Post
Moyneur, here are your 2 photos.....not great pics but ok....
I'll have to stand a little more still, 4 sec exposure will do that.
You have to tell me what setting you were shooting at, I would like to try that some time.
Thanks Charles007

357 mag = 158gr FP w/ 15.63gr Alliant 2400

Last edited by moyneur; 04-15-2013 at 6:06 PM..
Old 04-15-2013, 6:40 PM
Super Moderator

I am glad that those of you that went had a good time, despite the wind. The chance to meet and put a face to a Calguns name is always a good experience. For those who had a chance to shoot for the first time, that was probably a not to be forgotten experience also.

This is the first one I have missed and I am sorry I did, but it was just too soon after my knee surgery. I know I would have been the one taken out by ambulance.

I'll be looking forward to next year's and I will once again attempt to rent some type of RV to stay for the whole shoot.

Eddie1965, remind me not to set up next to you. Bad luck would be an improvement. Hard to imagine the wind was that strong.
Old 04-15-2013, 7:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

crap. just found out about this today
Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoody View Post
funny, for some reason I thought it was in 2 weeks
Old 04-16-2013, 4:16 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Just think of it as being informed WELL in advance for next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 04-16-2013, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr James View Post
We found a green 9mm amo box on the left side of the range. It has "Gun Stuff" written on the handle.

PM me if it is yours!
Yea, its mine PM sent
Old 04-16-2013, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
With a post count like you have and you missed it??
George Patton
Old 04-16-2013, 2:28 PM

There are a few 'I Shoot Zombies - SSZS IV' shirts left over.
Asking $15/each with free shipping! I'll be donating $5 for every shirt sold to Calguns.

Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

Old 04-16-2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOf6 View Post
True story!!! Here with Lone Wolf and other loved ones at this year's zombie shoot. I just witnessed the shot of te day/night! A 13 year old phenom with a 1948 Mossen just hit and exploded a flashlight (4 inch at best) from 360 yards out. No scope, no light, 30 mile/hour wind. In the dark! Beats everything I've ever seen! Thanks for a great time!
I witnessed the shot. It was an unbelievable shot. Definately the shot of the weekend in my opinion.
Old 04-16-2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOf6 View Post
True story!!! Here with Lone Wolf and other loved ones at this year's zombie shoot. I just witnessed the shot of te day/night! A 13 year old phenom with a 1948 Mossen just hit and exploded a flashlight (4 inch at best) from 360 yards out. No scope, no light, 30 mile/hour wind. In the dark! Beats everything I've ever seen! Thanks for a great time!
I think that trumps my 500 yard pistol shot. It took me 37 rounds and a lot of guessing to get a hit. I probably couldn't do it again if I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
"9mm is for killing Europeans. For truly dangerous people you need a .45."
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
I showed up naked to ur house with cake. But you weren't home. YOur wife maced me. And I was arrested
Old 04-16-2013, 5:33 PM

Here are few pics I took wish I took more but the sand and the wind was epic. first time going was great had fun thank you Mrlonewolf and every one else also the RO on the far right was very helpful. I will be attending every year hopefully. ohh and that chilli with shrooms in it was so good. And who ever cooked the tri tip perfect. Fun Times

Old 04-16-2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhappy2013 View Post
And who ever cooked the tri tip perfect. Fun Times[
Who do I have to kill or bribe to get that tri-tip marinade recipe? That alone was (almost) enough to forgive Mother Nature.

Thanks Lonewolf, chknlyps for bringing the shirts down, all the RSO's, and everyone who made this possible. The camaraderie of the shooting community (and by extension, forums like this) never ceases to amaze me and, unfortunately, isn't duplicated anywhere else (that I can think of). Where else can one spend 8 hours in a 35 MPH sand and wind storm and then come home to 3 days worth of cleaning sand out of EVERYTHING and still say they had a great time!

Looking forward to next year already!
Old 04-16-2013, 6:28 PM
Super Owner
CGN Contributor

Was the tri tip you're talking about the single tri tip that was cooked towards the end of the potluck or was it the large quantity (like 10 lbs) worth?
Old 04-16-2013, 8:17 PM

I wish the american people could see these pics, this is what firearms means to me and to countless others in this country. Looks like you guys had some fun.

http://howtomakeeverything.com/CD3WD/INDEX.HTM
http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x39
http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957
Old 04-16-2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Was the tri tip you're talking about the single tri tip that was cooked towards the end of the potluck or was it the large quantity (like 10 lbs) worth?
well I had some from the tray at first but then I had some that came off the grill afterwords both great but the one straight off grill was yum yum yum
Old 04-17-2013, 6:45 PM

billsinca did the tri-tip. Yeah he does a great job at it. Drop him a line, and he'll give ya the details, possibly.
Old 04-18-2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrodjan55 View Post
billsinca did the tri-tip. Yeah he does a great job at it. Drop him a line, and he'll give ya the details, possibly.
I was talking about the stuff on the table. The stuff on the grill looked great too, though.
Old 04-18-2013, 8:05 PM
CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Light View Post
I was talking about the stuff on the table. The stuff on the grill looked great too, though.

Billsinca cooked all day on Friday for the members attending the event on Sat. & Sun.....

Can you please go ahead and try to bribe Billsinca and obtain the recipe for all of us....

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton