Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-14-2013, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Unhappy Federal Primers???

I just picked up a couple hundred Federal primers in a deal that I got and noticed a couple of things.

One was the idiotic packaging that Federal uses. Seems like a waste of money for all the extra plastic used for the tray and the fact they are stored on their sides..makes it a PIA to flip them all in the primer tray.

Second was that they were soft and malleable. I'm not reloading master by any means and have only used Winchester primers so far. But using my RCBS hand primer, not one of the Federal primers seating without some distortion. I've never dimpled a WSPP or WLPP. I called a buddy and he said the same thing was just told to him, that they're softer than CCI or Winchester.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I certainly hope that the 200 rounds that I loaded will be issue free other than looking a wee bit dimpled.

I would have posted pics, but I hit them with a magic marker ( gots to find them later at the range... ) so you can't really see the markings, but if you'd loaded these before, then you know what I'm talking about!

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2013, 7:57 PM

It's pretty widely known that Federal primers are the softest primers out there. Some Glock competition shooters like them for that reason, because they can run reduced power striker springs (lightens the pull weight) without getting light strikes. I ran a few hundred through my RCBS hand primer, and 1000 of them through my Dillon 650 & none of them gave me any problems. They have been known to detonate in the priming system of certain progressive presses, so some people avoid them. For what it's worth, the priming rod on my RCBS hand primer has put slight marks on both Winchester & CCI LPP's.

Did they have dimples or just marks? If they had dimples, your priming rod may be in backwards. Make sure the round side is down, and the flat side is making contact with the primer.

Last edited by DRAB_81; 04-14-2013 at 8:00 PM..
Old 04-14-2013, 8:07 PM

If you're hand priming then you're just fine. You just typically want to avoid the Federals in the Lee progressives. I use federal in a lot of the rounds I load in my Classic Turret.
Packaging is dumb but it is what it is.
Old 04-14-2013, 8:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Your primer tool is substandard. Get something good like a Hornady and you won't molest these primers.
Old 04-14-2013, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAB_81 View Post

Did they have dimples or just marks? If they had dimples, your priming rod may be in backwards. Make sure the round side is down, and the flat side is making contact with the primer.
hehehehe....that was the first thing I checked after the first couple of primers I seated. Good looking out!

Thanks for the fast responses and I will not let it bother me anymore.
Old 04-14-2013, 8:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Federal cups are very light and soft. ie that much packaging.
Than Oversexed & Underlaid...:D
Old 04-14-2013, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt562 View Post
In addition to having the softest cups, they use a primer compound known as "basic" which is easier to ignite.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt562 View Post
That makes sense Also, as stated here and from others I've asked, they are the easiest primers to ignite, hence the softness.

Thanks again for all the response!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:36 PM

They package their primers that way to avoid sympathetic detonation.
Old 04-15-2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
Your primer tool is substandard. Get something good like a Hornady and you won't molest these primers.
If you mean the Hornady hand priming I could not disagree more. I find my RCBS hand priming tool much superior to my Hornady hand priming tool.

to the op do you have the blue pack or the orange pack. The gold match primers that come in the orange pack are even softer than the blue. That sad I have had mine squish a little while seating but never had a problem in the 8000+ federal GM150M I have used.
Old 04-15-2013, 7:21 PM

I just had a lot of slam fires with my AR this week. Double fired three times out of ten round mag. Was using LC brass with the fed primers
Old 04-15-2013, 7:41 PM

I dimpled a couple out of about 600 i found hiding in that massive Federal packaging. Thought it was christmas until I opened the box and found 4 missing.

All went bang
Lee handprimer (old round tray kind)
Old 04-15-2013, 8:09 PM

Default Federal primers

If not for Federal primers I would be shopping for primers.

Federal and the big box, R. Lee in his book on modern reloading did not test Federal primers, rational? He said he did not test Federal primers because Federal did not donate primers to be tested. I thought it was cleaver Federal packaged their primers in the big box, it gave R. Lee something to complain about, getting the primers from the big box to the Lee small flip tray was a challenge for Lee loaders. Then, finally, Lee increased the size of the automatic hand primer flip tray, they made it in the image of the big square Federal primer tray.

Dents after firing, the dents are the same size regardless of primer hardness. The primer conforms to the protruding firing pin.

F. Guffey
Old 04-15-2013, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M27 View Post
If you mean the Hornady hand priming I could not disagree more. I find my RCBS hand priming tool much superior to my Hornady hand priming tool.
In what way? Is it the die cast pot metal construction that enamours you? I think the Hornady priming tool, machined from aluminum bar stock and steel, is superior. It does not crush primers either.
Old 04-15-2013, 8:54 PM

mine have a bit of indentation from the primer seater in my hornady handprimer, but it can be avoided by getting used to it I have seen. I just got some winchester primers though and I am ok with this not being an issue for winchester primers.
Old 04-16-2013, 6:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
In what way? Is it the die cast pot metal construction that enamours you? I think the Hornady priming tool, machined from aluminum bar stock and steel, is superior. It does not crush primers either.
It's not about the tool I'm using...I've loaded thousands of Winchester primers without incident.

Typical thread hijack about how someone wants the OP to use a different piece of equipment just because "THEY" thinks it's superior to what others are using.
Just like their signature line!

Bottom line, the Federal primers are soft, just like everyone has stated.

End of story.
Old 04-16-2013, 4:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The bad part of the packaging is that it's so sturdy that you'll keep them around thinking "I can use these for something! I can make something out of them!" But you can't. You want to, but you'll never figure out what the stupid things are good for except garbage!
Old 04-16-2013, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
It's not about the tool I'm using...I've loaded thousands of Winchester primers without incident.

Typical thread hijack about how someone wants the OP to use a different piece of equipment just because "THEY" thinks it's superior to what others are using.
Just like their signature line!

Bottom line, the Federal primers are soft, just like everyone has stated.

End of story.
And there's nothing wrong with being soft. Just the pos equipment being used to load them.
Old 04-16-2013, 5:36 PM

I just flipped a box over into my primer handloader, then wiggled it a little. After that had to flip over 7 by hand...

ruined my day
Old 04-16-2013, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
And there's nothing wrong with being soft. Just the pos equipment being used to load them.
Oh ok azz hat, RCBS equipment is POS now. You're a moron.
Old 04-16-2013, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAB_81 View Post
It's pretty widely known that Federal primers are the softest primers out there. .
That!! Just stick to Wolf and CCI; and even Remingtons & Winchesters have been good to me.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 04-17-2013, 6:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
Oh ok azz hat, RCBS equipment is POS now. You're a moron.
You're the one who's crushing primers with your totally awesome RCBS pot metal priming tool. I'm the one who's not crushing primers with my well made Hornady tool. You're the one posting about your lack of skill and understanding of the reloading process, MR Smartypants.

Last edited by J-cat; 04-17-2013 at 6:18 AM..
Old 04-17-2013, 7:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You're the one who's crushing primers with your totally awesome RCBS pot metal priming tool. I'm the one who's not crushing primers with my well made Hornady tool. You're the one posting about your lack of skill and understanding of the reloading process, MR Smartypants.
On the contrary...look how many others have laid claim that Federal primers are soft and tend to dimple. Just so you know, I loaded up some Winchester primers last night using as you would call it, substandard equipment, and didn't have one dimple....hmmm? Ya, that's it, I'm using substandard equipment.

I never posted anything resembling my lack or skill or understanding of equipment. I simply asked if anyone else ever had the problem with Federal primers dimpling or deforming. Learn to read.

You're just a troll that wants everyone to sell their equipment and buy Hornady. If I really wanted quality equipment, I'd save and buy Dillon, not Hornady.

You jacked my thread...you should be proud of yourself!

Last edited by skosh69; 04-17-2013 at 7:06 AM..
Old 04-17-2013, 7:31 AM

“You're the one who's crushing primers with your totally awesome RCBS pot metal priming tool”

Not true, It matters not (to me) what brand tool is used, there are not many I do not have from bench mounted to Lee one at a time hand primers to Herters bench mounted, it requires Herters shell holders and takes up less space.
A very disciplined reloader was getting half moon dents in his primers, he contacted RCBS, they made every effort, they sent him enough parts to build another Automatic Hand Primer. They made a special part for his hand primer, nothing got better, and he does not use Federal primers, then? He called me, I ask, “How many fail to fire primers are you getting” The answer, “NONE” Anyhow, I loaned him my two RCBS automatic hand primers with the understanding nothing would improve. And? Nothing improved.

He called me again, seems RCBS was going to send him a new shell holder, I doubt RCBS was reading the forums, but, there was a claim the problem was the shell holder so who would not want to get involved in that deal.

I called RCBS, they were aware of the problem the shooter/relader was having ‘ONLY!! with 9mm cases. Nothing else, only 9mm cases were getting half-moon dents, again, he was not using Federal primers, then they ask me if I was having the same problem and I had to say yes, before I could suggest an answer to the problem they offered to send me another shell holder, I thanked them but in all fairness I have at least 4 different styles of shell holders in 9mm, he received the shell holder. We both have Lee automatic hand primers with lots of spare parts.

Back to “it matters not (to me)....”, The Lee at the time was designed to be used with the thumb, Tilting the hand primer away from the reloader works, standing the hand primer up allows me to to use the operating handle with as many fingers as I can get on it. The handle on the RCBS is large enough to engage all fingers.

Material? R. Lee makes it a point to describe a reloader that sounds like one of the characters in a song by Jim Croce called ‘You don’t mess around Jim’.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4qUXcXuMSE

Thump operated? he was using two thumbs and 8 fingers. Again, the half moon dents were annoying, the reloader was not using Federal primers and the new shell holder did not correct the problem.

If it was not for Federal primers I would (almost) be out of primers.

F. Guffey
Old 04-17-2013, 7:35 AM
Calguns Addict

It's pretty feeble minded to launch a personal attack when you can't argue your point effectively. You don't have the experience or the mental acuity to determine what is quality in the reloading arena. You post nonsense about Federal primers and hold your RCBS tool up like its the holy grail. You are emotionally invested in your equipment. That, my friend, is a sign of mental illness. I don't want people to buy Hornady. I want people to buy quality. It just happens to be that Hornady makes a higher quality priming tool than RCBS. It is also the only Hornady product I own. I happen to own some RCBS tools as well, and Redding and Lee and some wazoo stuff too. Bottom line, they are quality tools.

What I'm trying to tell you is that I'm not condemning the brand. What you are doing is assuming everything within the umbrella of the brand is of the same quality. It is not. Grow up.
Old 04-17-2013, 9:43 AM

if this helps anyone I just received an e mail response from Lee about Federal primers with my Lee turret press and the safery prime. their response was it was OK to use Federal primers in the safety prime system because the primer being seated is seperated from the others.
Old 04-17-2013, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

What I'm trying to tell you is that I'm not condemning the brand. .
Really? You started this argument with your bashing of my choice or at the time availability of tools. Go read your first post!

Look man, this can go on for ever and ever. I'm not saying RCBS is the best, never did. You claim that I did. I came here to ask if anyone else had issues with Federal primers and YES, there have. Then there is yourself and others have not. That's great, good for you.

But to say that I'm an idiot and do not know how to reload, that I do not know what quality equipment is and every other insult that you have posted just cements the fact that you need to grow up and that you are a control freak, just like your sig line states. You think you're better than everyone and you're nothing more than an internet troll/bully.

Last edited by skosh69; 04-17-2013 at 8:04 PM..
Old 04-17-2013, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I have loaded many federal primers. All have fired and gave good performance, that is what matters. I have also loaded Alcan/Win/Rem/CCI and some from a German company. All have been good except I had some duds out of a batch of Win primers. I bought them a few years back so I just use them for plinking ammo. I do not think that is too bad since I started reloading in the early 1960's and those are the only ones I have ever had a dud/problem with.
I used a RCBS Rockchucker press primer for years. Then when lee came out with their hand primer I started using it. I also have an early RCBS hand primer without the tray. One of the lee primers left markes on just about all the primers but they all worked and fired. The newest lee primer tools I got do not do so. I have worn out 3 of them. I keep one set up for small and one for large primers.

Bottom line.----Do not worry about it. Just primer, finish loading and shoot them. Enjoy yourself. OR you can send all Federal primers to me for proper disposal
Old 04-18-2013, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

Geez... Some people really need "real life" friends to tell them they're being total D Bags sometimes.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
The main thing I like about the RCBS over the hornady is the location and type of the hinge. I find the hornady tool with the hinge it has is awkward to use and does not give as much feed back. The RCBS tool also requires less strength to use than the hornady, so says my small framed girlfriend who also reloads.

While the rcbs is "pot metal", so what, does that make it not strong enough to do its job. Can anyone please give me an example of a rcbs hand priming tool failing because of the metal it is made out of? This cast metal also alows for a more ergonomic tool.

I also find the RCBS tools feed tray to give a lot fewer flipped primers than the hornady tool, as well as different feed trays are not needed for different brand shell holders.

My hornady tool can still crush the GM150M primers I use.

I love hornady products and you will find my house and garage littered with them, but I prefer the rcbs tool over the hornady tool.

Final question, what expirence with the rcbs tool do you have that you baced your opinion off of?

Last edited by M27; 04-18-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 AM

To the op.

Do the dents make a difference in performance or is it just a looks thing?

Look at the magtech/CBC primers. They all have a indent on them.
Old 04-18-2013, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
To the op.

Do the dents make a difference in performance or is it just a looks thing?

Look at the magtech/CBC primers. They all have a indent on them.
Thank you for your constructive question. No the dimple/indention does not bother me on bit. My main objective to this thread was to ask if others have had the same experience with Federal primers.

Maybe I chose the wrong words in my initial post that which garnered the negative feedback regarding my choice of reloading equipment. But looking back at it, no I did not. I was in no way demeaning Federal, I was just asking a question/making a statement if you will. Other's took it upon themselves to point out that it was not Federal's issue, but my own and that of my equipment. I guess I should've expected a certain amount of negative/troll answers. That is just how the ball bounces.

Thank you to each and every one of you that has posted helpful/useful information regarding Federal primers.
Old 04-18-2013, 6:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Final question, what expirence with the rcbs tool do you have that you baced your opinion off of?
I started reloading 20 years ago with that tool.

It has more leverage but at the price of sensitivity.

The pot metal construction and the loose linkage induce misalignment of the primer and the case causing the primer to enter crooked and be mangled.