Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 3:35 PM

Does anyone do any shooting for the Taft IDPA? They are doing the compitition on feb 18th and I was wanting to go out there and shoot. Do I have to be a member to try it out or sign up ahead of time or can I just show up and shoot?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-01-2012, 8:48 PM

I do. I'm part of the match staff.

On the 18th we're doing a classifier. You're more than welcome to come shoot it.

IDPA rules say that a shooter is supposed to be an IDPA member after shooting just 1 match...

PM any further questions if you'd like.

If you're on Facebook look at http://www.facebook.com/groups/taftidpa/
Old 02-09-2012, 6:03 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I just found this thread and a couple of things.

#1: Sorry I am not telling people about my secret squirrel spot. There are a couple of reasons. First, the more people that know about it, the more people show up when I want to go there to shoot. Am I selfish? Yes. I like going to my secret squirrel spot and shooting without anyone else to worry about. Second, people like to shoot up the targets that are there and they break.

The nice thing about our secret squirrel spot is if you spend enough money at my gun shop, I will probably take you there someday. I have done that for many customers. It is what it is. Move to Taft and create your own secret squirrel spot if you don't like it.

#2: If you think an indoor range out to run itself a certain way and they don't, good for you for not doing business there. Vote with your wallet. Personally I would never shoot at an indoor range in Kern County unless Craig Powers was running a CCW class, the range was having some other regularly scheduled match, or Wayne Marden worked there and I wanted to see him. Other than that, I can drive 5 minutes in any direction from where I live and shoot however I want. So if I am going to go to an indoor range with a bunch of other people I have no idea how they behave, I would be glad they had some fairly strict rules, even if I don't like them.

#3: For you regular Kern County types, please join The Taft Sportsmen's Club. For $25 a year you get unlimited access to our private range. The rifle shots are only 175 yards max, but we have four pistol bays and it is a great place to go enjoy an afternoon or day. Plus you will also get our newsletter that keeps you in tune with our IDPA matches, trap shoots, and soon .22 action shooting matches. We received $40K in Friend of NRA grants this year so the Taft Sportsmen's Club is really putting some effort into our shooting programs for fun for the whole family.

#4: For those of you who go target shooting in the Carrizo Plain, remember there is no target shooting in the Carrizo Plain. You can only hunt there. I didn't realize this either for sometime until the rangers let me know that this Geocache might not be acceptable. Nice place for a picnic or to sight in your rifle. So I changed the name to "Nice place for a picnic, no sighting in your rifle". I love the Carrizo Plain! I hope to make a Carrizo run on Monday and maintain some of my Geocaches and generally just wander around heavily armed and enjoy freedom.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 02-24-2012, 4:29 PM

Range Name: Rankin Field
Address: 20000 Road 140 Tulare ca 93274
Indoor or Outdoor? Outdoor
rifle, pistol and/or trap?: Pistol 3 to 30 yards/ 100 yard long gun
OLL Friendly?: Yes
Rankinfield.org
Old 03-17-2012, 5:42 PM

5 Dogs for me + being a member of the cowboy range is great too. Great for the Grand kids and a place to have lunch.
Old 04-03-2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredx10sen View Post
5 Dogs for me + being a member of the cowboy range is great too. Great for the Grand kids and a place to have lunch.
I agree that 5-Dogs is a great place to bring the family to shoot. Safe, friendly, and comfortable.

I was searching BLM maps and this forum to find a legal place to go shoot on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursdays. I seen the gentleman who posted the directions to the "Tupman Spot" so I headed out there today to find it.
When I got there it did look like a safe location to shoot. Far enough from the main road and also had earthen berms to shoot into. Unfortunately the location is seriously polluted and needs a massive clean up. It does look like it gets used by shooters ALOT... It is anything but a comfortable place. I would not take my wife or daughters out there to shoot. I was looking at the BLM map and there is a small section of BLM land near it but it is not on it.

I am continuing my search for a week day shooting spot. If anyone knows of a good one please PM me.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan83 View Post
I agree that 5-Dogs is a great place to bring the family to shoot. Safe, friendly, and comfortable.

I was searching BLM maps and this forum to find a legal place to go shoot on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursdays. I seen the gentleman who posted the directions to the "Tupman Spot" so I headed out there today to find it.
When I got there it did look like a safe location to shoot. Far enough from the main road and also had earthen berms to shoot into. Unfortunately the location is seriously polluted and needs a massive clean up. It does look like it gets used by shooters ALOT... It is anything but a comfortable place. I would not take my wife or daughters out there to shoot. I was looking at the BLM map and there is a small section of BLM land near it but it is not on it.

I am continuing my search for a week day shooting spot. If anyone knows of a good one please PM me.
why is it not a comfortable place if i may ask? i have never been there

Last edited by MixedMotives; 05-04-2012 at 4:06 PM..
Old 04-27-2012, 7:07 AM

Don't forget the Kern County Gun Club. Only thing is with them, it's strictly a trap/skeet/sporting clays range. Great if you're into it like me. I just wish we had more NSCA style shoots.
Old 04-27-2012, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR213 View Post
Don't forget the Kern County Gun Club. Only thing is with them, it's strictly a trap/skeet/sporting clays range. Great if you're into it like me. I just wish we had more NSCA style shoots.
Hold that thought for a little while. It may, hopefully, be a possibility soon.

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 04-27-2012, 6:13 PM

With any luck it will be. I know this weekend Tim Bradley is doing an exhibition shoot.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM

Holding our first ever GSSF Indoor Match this Sunday, June 10 at Ole Boy Outdoors. We are kindda excited about it.

Check out our schedule for details.

http://www.oleboyoutdoors.net/

Old 06-07-2012, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDalum97 View Post
I called the BLM office on Pagasus. They said there is no BLM land in or around Bakersfield where it is legal to shoot. He said that doesn't stop people, but the closest legal land is in Sequoia National Forrest. Can anyone else confirm if they have heard this from BLM?
I talked to a woman at the Field office on Pegasus yesterday. She advised that, with the exception of Carrizzo Plains and any other marked "National Monument", it is legal to shoot on any of the "yellow" spots on the BLM land maps.

Be Advised: From my searching forums and such, BLM sells land and the "yellow" BLM spots on an older map may no longer be public. Finding some of these spots is difficult sometimes. I'm still looking for an piece of public land not too far from NW Bakersfield for my rifle shooting.

For handguns:
OLEBOY OUTDOORS is great. I've been going there about once a week for a couple months. Great people, awesome range, and everything you need to shoot if you want a "one stop" range session (make sure you have a firearm in your possession if you want to rent a gun). And introduce yourself to Slab at the range counter. He's a very cool guy.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:10 AM

Someone I know said you can shoot somewhere off Breckenridge ..anyone know if this is true

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-02-2012, 6:11 PM

New guy here, is there any official word on that spot near the Elk Reserve?

From all the shells and trash it looks pretty damn popular, but is it actually legal?

Also, would there be any problems with firing 7.62x54 rounds south towards the hills?
Old 11-26-2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMotives View Post
Someone I know said you can shoot somewhere off Breckenridge ..anyone know if this is true

There is no legal place that I know of to shoot on Breckenridge. It is clearly marked almost everywhere that this is the case. However if you take a dive on that road, there are several obvious places that people do shoot. I would never risk it as your gunshots will be heard from miles away and the chances a LEO shows up are pretty good. That being said I have gone out by myself test fired a dozen or so rounds on a shotgun, quickly packed up and headed home. Every time I've done it I've gotten the attention of ranchers, so if you're gonna be there more than a few minutes, don't risk it.

Last edited by Yehosha; 11-26-2012 at 2:35 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssCommander View Post

From all the shells and trash it looks pretty damn popular, but is it actually legal?

Also, would there be any problems with firing 7.62x54 rounds south towards the hills?
Just got off the phone with the BLM and the lady told me there are places in Taft, Lake Isabella, and a few other places it is allowed, but nowhere on the Carrizo Plain is it legal because it is a national monument.

For $4 you can buy a map from the BLM office at 3801 Pegasus Dr that shows all legal locations to shoot. I don't have one or I'd post a copy, but as soon as I get one I'll post a copy for everyone to see, so there will be no debate on where it is/isn't legal to shoot on BLM land.
Old 11-30-2012, 9:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMotives View Post

Guess it depends on where. If your anywhere near Comanche, Ron'll call the Sheriff. If you're on Comanche, I'll call the sheriff. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_electron View Post
PE card? LOL! Any green kid out of engineering school can get that with a few years of experience.
Old 11-30-2012, 9:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehosha View Post
There is no legal place that I know of to shoot on Breckenridge. It is clearly marked almost everywhere that this is the case. However if you take a dive on that road, there are several obvious places that people do shoot. I would never risk it as your gunshots will be heard from miles away and the chances a LEO shows up are pretty good. That being said I have gone out by myself test fired a dozen or so rounds on a shotgun, quickly packed up and headed home. Every time I've done it I've gotten the attention of ranchers, so if you're gonna be there more than a few minutes, don't risk it.
Um, it's private property, you shouldn't be shooting there in the first place.

Go out to 5 Dogs, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_electron View Post
PE card? LOL! Any green kid out of engineering school can get that with a few years of experience.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I've been out there a couple of times over and across the "al Qaeda" bridge. It is perfectly safe to shoot there. The group I go with takes out rakes and does an area cleanup. We need to organize and see others do this more often before we lose the place.

I've shot 7.62x54r rounds towards the southern hills (targets, of course) and had a great time. Hope to see you out there. We are going Friday morning.
Old 01-11-2013, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bako88fan View Post
I've been out there a couple of times over and across the "al Qaeda" bridge. It is perfectly safe to shoot there. The group I go with takes out rakes and does an area cleanup. We need to organize and see others do this more often before we lose the place.

I've shot 7.62x54r rounds towards the southern hills (targets, of course) and had a great time. Hope to see you out there. We are going Friday morning.
Interested in this location. Willing to share?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well since you asked 5 times... Lol

Head out west from Bakersfield on Taft Hwy. Turn right on Tupman Road and head north. Go through the town of Tupman. Head about 2 miles north. You'll see a large yellow pole in an upside L shape. It's next to a Creek. Head west on the dirt road following it along the Creek. Once you see the bridge, cross it and you're there. Hope to see you out there.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Head out west from Bakersfield on Taft Hwy. Turn right on Tupman Road and head north. Go through the town of Tupman. Head about 2 miles north. You'll see a large yellow pole in an upside L shape. It's next to a Creek. Head west on the dirt road following it along the Creek. Once you see the bridge, cross it and you're there. Hope to see you out there.
Ok so I'm looking at the map I got from BLM today and there is nowhere anywhere near the location described that is legal to shoot, so it appears it's yet another place where people do shoot, that they're not supposed to.
Old 01-23-2013, 1:02 AM

So as promised here's a pic of each map. Click the the thumbnail to get the full size image. I only bought the Taft area map, because I don't need the others, but I took a pic on my phone of the smaller maps of each area surrounding Bakersfield that they have available for viewing in the BLM office.

All Yellow areas are BLM land, and I was told that any yellow area that is easily accessible by paved public roads is ok to shoot on. Note that all areas in the Carrizo Plain are off-limits since it is a national monument.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for providing the maps. The place I mentioned doesnt appear to be on the carrizo and it is at the Northernmost tip of BLM property. The northern edge is bordered by private farmland.
Old 01-25-2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for providing the maps. The place I mentioned doesnt appear to be on the carrizo and it is at the Northernmost tip of BLM property. The northern edge is bordered by private farmland.
Either you are really bad at directions, or you are nowhere near BLM land. As I stated above the YELLOW areas are BLM land, and the spot you gave directions to is not even close to BLM land.

Last edited by Yehosha; 01-25-2013 at 3:33 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 6:54 AM

Quote:

Sorry buddy, I don't know what the heck happened. Seems there have been a lot of multiple posts lately. Thanks for the directions though, much appreciated!
Old 01-28-2013, 7:04 AM

Anyone else have any secret squirrel shooting spots they are willing to share?
Old 02-04-2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:

Well I took a ride out to this spot today. Boy is that place thrashed! Unfortunately it's not quite what I had in mind. I'm going to keep looking and see if I can find a spot that is better taken care of.
Old 02-04-2013, 8:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I tried organizing a cleanup through here but no one showed any interest. I cleaned up quite a bit Saturday out there. Problem is, there are a large group of dirt bags who can't clean up after themselves. I can't imagine what their homes look like.

I know another spot too. Opposite side of the valley. If you're interested, I will PM. It is a secret spot and very few know about it. Always clean, too.
Old 02-05-2013, 6:13 AM

Quote:
I tried organizing a cleanup through here but no one showed any interest. I cleaned up quite a bit Saturday out there. Problem is, there are a large group of dirt bags who can't clean up after themselves. I can't imagine what their homes look like.

I know another spot too. Opposite side of the valley. If you're interested, I will PM. It is a secret spot and very few know about it. Always clean, too.
PM sent!
Old 03-15-2013, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Been out to that area a couple of times. Its a hell of a drive to get to there from where I am but its been fun the couple times I went.

There used to be a shooting spot southwest of Buttonwillow off the 58 just beyond the aqueduct. It was fenced off by Chevron a few years back did you ever make it out there?

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTp View Post
So if you do ban me you will hear from my lawyer as to why you think you can violate peoples civil rights
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
Oh for ****s sake, now there are two of them.This is the type of **** anti's point to when they want to make us all look crazy.
Old 03-15-2013, 9:28 PM

I'm taking my brother out there tomorrow, I will see about taking some bags, rakes and shovels.

There where a lot of gunners out there, and I swear someone had a freakin cannon.

Last edited by thepunisher; 03-16-2013 at 3:51 PM..
Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 AM

tagged