Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Bernardino Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 7:42 AM

Default Cops and robbers and the gun owner

Ok so I'll try to make my story short. I live about 16 miles from my parents home and got a call from my sister that my 13 year old nephew was at my parents house and called her freaking out that his grandparents (my parents) just got robbed. Apparently my little nephew walked into the garage while they were all home and saw the guy rummaging through the garage. Luckily he let my nephew go and left. My nephew called his mom who called me freaking out. I told her to call the cops and I'm on my way. Cops came and I got there just after. The cops left and no one was found. My parents are older and I'm sure nervous at their own home. I stayed for about 30 more mins and went for a drive around there neighborhood twice. As I pulled up the neighbor 2 houses down that I do not know pulled up. I mentioned what happened. She asked me to walk her house with her as no one had been home. I grabbed my flashlight and my 9mm. Anyways long story short guess who I found in the ladies back shed under a tarp. Yup there he was. I yelled call the cops now to the lady and yelled for my dad to come. I could see him in his back yard. I told the robber that if he moved I was letting him have all ten in the clip. He was frozen and stayed under the tarp. Never moved till the cops came. That sucker got tazzered. That was awesome by the way!! I think he actually was as freaked out as I was. I just kept trying to calm my self standing there. Holding someone at gun point for 10 mins gets your heart going. I never thought I would have to pull a gun on someone. Well I was wrong and last night I learned one huge fact. Just breath and relax and be calmer then the other guy.
One less looser on the street. Well that's my story. I heard it from my wife all night when I got home that I shouldn't have gone looking for him. I only replied I should have taken my 500SW and shoved that in his face. Prob woulda pissed himself. All jokes aside that was pretty rattling!!

Last edited by Paver_guy; 04-03-2013 at 8:08 AM..
Old 04-03-2013, 6:22 PM
CGN Contributor

You mean law enforcement did not do a complete sweep of the property when they first arrived? o.O

Either way, you got lucky. Good job.
Old 04-03-2013, 7:29 PM

Glad everything turned out good for you and your parents.

Dave

Old 04-04-2013, 9:39 AM

Last edited by IE31; 12-15-2013 at 7:12 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 4:58 PM

The robber was 2 backyards down. I'm not too sure the cops can just start searching other private properties randomly. They went through my parents yard thorough enough. Cops did a good job. I just had more time.
Old 04-04-2013, 9:02 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paver_guy View Post
The robber was 2 backyards down. I'm not too sure the cops can just start searching other private properties randomly. They went through my parents yard thorough enough. Cops did a good job. I just had more time.
Ah, I see. It did not click when I first read your post. Completely understandable then.

You may want to buy your parents a small dog. :S
Old 04-04-2013, 9:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Glad it worked out in your favor and cops were cool.
Old 04-05-2013, 8:43 AM

I was on private property so I think your allowed to protect
Old 04-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Keeping calm in a high stress situation like that must've been tough.
Old 04-06-2013, 4:29 PM

My question is:
What happened in the first moments when the police arrived the second time? I ask because you were holding a gun.... do you put it down and step away or do they take control of it?

Thanks for sharing your story!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 PM

Whoa! I bet that's enough excitement for the month haha Good on you for staying level headed, I'm sure staying calm in that situation was rough!
Old 04-12-2013, 9:07 AM

Glad to hear that justice and vigilance prevailed
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paver_guy View Post
Ok so I'll try to make my story short. I live about 16 miles from my parents home and got a call from my sister that my 13 year old nephew was at my parents house and called her freaking out that his grandparents (my parents) just got robbed. Apparently my little nephew walked into the garage while they were all home and saw the guy rummaging through the garage. Luckily he let my nephew go and left. My nephew called his mom who called me freaking out. I told her to call the cops and I'm on my way. Cops came and I got there just after. The cops left and no one was found. My parents are older and I'm sure nervous at their own home. I stayed for about 30 more mins and went for a drive around there neighborhood twice. As I pulled up the neighbor 2 houses down that I do not know pulled up. I mentioned what happened. She asked me to walk her house with her as no one had been home. I grabbed my flashlight and my 9mm. Anyways long story short guess who I found in the ladies back shed under a tarp. Yup there he was. I yelled call the cops now to the lady and yelled for my dad to come. I could see him in his back yard. I told the robber that if he moved I was letting him have all ten in the clip. He was frozen and stayed under the tarp. Never moved till the cops came. That sucker got tazzered. That was awesome by the way!! I think he actually was as freaked out as I was. I just kept trying to calm my self standing there. Holding someone at gun point for 10 mins gets your heart going. I never thought I would have to pull a gun on someone. Well I was wrong and last night I learned one huge fact. Just breath and relax and be calmer then the other guy.
One less looser on the street. Well that's my story. I heard it from my wife all night when I got home that I shouldn't have gone looking for him. I only replied I should have taken my 500SW and shoved that in his face. Prob woulda pissed himself. All jokes aside that was pretty rattling!!
With the incident presented as you have described it, here's a very important question to a test that WILL affect you for the rest of your life...and this is NO JOKE: If he moved...just moved to get the hail outta dodge because he didn't want to wait for the cops, would you have let him have it with all ten in the clip?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:03 AM

great job...its a tough decision to put yourself in that danger and risk your safety for your community. i think the approach was appropriate; if u hadn't had taken the initiative, he may have gotten away or just wait it out till the cops gave up looking, or even worse, he couldve made a victim out of ur neighbor...

i also feel the firearm was just as appropiate because he mightve been just brave enough to become violent or run if all you had was a bat,...

all in all, a great outcome. but of course, you wont hear the media tell stories like these. and be thankful that he didnt have a bag of skittles and didnt fight back......
Old 08-23-2013, 11:11 PM

I think the term "robbed" is used out of context here. Basically they were being burglarized. Also, do you always travel with a firearm and flashlight?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous216 View Post
I think the term "robbed" is used out of context here. Basically they were being burglarized. Also, do you always travel with a firearm and flashlight?
who doesn't?

and good on you OP. too many knuckle heads roaming around in our parts

NUNQUAM DORMIO

Old 09-03-2013, 7:48 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Good job OP. Being armed on private property with the blessing of the homeowner is not an issue. 'Robbery' is not what it sounds like, but rather an attempted burglary. Don't be surprised if it ends up being 'trespassing' when all is said and done.