Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-08-2013, 6:57 PM

Question Bay Area - where to try tactical gear

I've started shooting 3-gun recently and realized I really need a molle vest or a plate carrier to hold all the magazines. Probably some other gear too, like a combat shirt.

The only big brick-and-mortar gear store I know is Galls in SF, but last time I was there they downsized the shop and didn't have much.

Are there any other shops with good selection of tactical nylon?
Old 04-08-2013, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

You definitely don't need a molle vest or any tactical gear for 3 gun.

Plus there really aren't stores to try stuff on. Just see what gear you like from what others use and buy online.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelogic View Post
You definitely don't need a molle vest or any tactical gear for 3 gun.

Plus there really aren't stores to try stuff on. Just see what gear you like from what others use and buy online.
^^^^ This! Go see what others are using first or you will just wind up with a big old box of useless stuff out in back with the beer cans
Old 04-09-2013, 9:26 AM

Get one of those plate carriers with Molle, that way you can use it for armor too.
They have those shingle mag pouches that will hold 8 AR mags.
Thats what I would get
Multicam
Old 04-09-2013, 9:50 AM

I haven't been doing 3 gun that long, but I can't recall ever seeing anyone wearing a vest
Old 04-09-2013, 3:00 PM

I've been shooting 3 gun (USPSA) since 2002 and have never seen anyone with a vest. Take that back, IDPA Multi-Gun LOL!, really only at Superstition Mystery Mountain 3 Gun, when the trooper class guys were shooting did I see any vests. +1 to what joelogic and GeoffLinder wrote. Go to a match and see what the other shooters are using.
Old 04-09-2013, 7:35 PM
Banned

Why do you think the Grand Masters run the gear that they run?
Because it works, that's why....
Old 04-09-2013, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Why do you think the Grand Masters run the gear that they run?
Because it works, that's why....
Oh now you've gone and made sense............I guess it is cheaper and more to the point. In the long run.
Old 04-10-2013, 5:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"The Almost Everything Store" in Tracy has molle gear and he's involved in the 3-gun at Chabot. I thought he had a store in SF, too.

I've been to the store in Tracy and bought my mag pouches there. Good people. Here's the website:

http://www.armor-up.com/
Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck View Post
"The Almost Everything Store" in Tracy has molle gear and he's involved in the 3-gun at Chabot. I thought he had a store in SF, too.

I've been to the store in Tracy and bought my mag pouches there. Good people. Here's the website:
http://www.armor-up.com/
Thanks, I'll check them out. I've actually met John Condon in Chabot once but didn't know he had a tactical shop.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
I've been shooting 3 gun (USPSA) since 2002 and have never seen anyone with a vest. Take that back, IDPA Multi-Gun LOL!, really only at Superstition Mystery Mountain 3 Gun, when the trooper class guys were shooting did I see any vests. +1 to what joelogic and GeoffLinder wrote. Go to a match and see what the other shooters are using.
Most guys run AR-15s and Kydex belt pouches. I want to run AK47 with full-size mags, so this setup won't work well.

I've checked a lot of youtube videos for a typical USPSA 3-gun gear setup, and they all run high-tech belts and a lot of pouches around. Even magnetic holsters The configuration is changed during the match depending on the stage they gonna run. Well, it's just gaming. The matches I go to are more real and combat-oriented, while still a lot of fun. For instance we do not drop long guns in the middle of the stage, one needs to keep it on the sling after transition to the secondary.

Let me clarify - I shoot 3-gun because it's fun but also because I can develop and test my combat gear system if I ever need it. It's very unlikely of course so basically it's just a hobby, and the thought I know how to effectively run my combat-ready system just makes me comfortable I don't care if I loose a couple of seconds in some stages because I didn't game.
Old 04-11-2013, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmca View Post
I haven't been doing 3 gun that long, but I can't recall ever seeing anyone wearing a vest
There are a few cases I've seen them used. Trooper class is one, MGM people use them. Also, I've seen a couple people use them when shooting "CA-legal" aka 10-rounder class. Seems to be the only way to hold enough mags.

Then there is the new case, since the 2-up and quad load stuff is better popular I've seen a few folks using vests to hold the shot shells instead of a massive belt.
Old 04-11-2013, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidimus View Post
Most guys run AR-15s and Kydex belt pouches. I want to run AK47 with full-size mags, so this setup won't work well.

I've checked a lot of youtube videos for a typical USPSA 3-gun gear setup, and they all run high-tech belts and a lot of pouches around. Even magnetic holsters The configuration is changed during the match depending on the stage they gonna run. Well, it's just gaming. The matches I go to are more real and combat-oriented, while still a lot of fun. For instance we do not drop long guns in the middle of the stage, one needs to keep it on the sling after transition to the secondary.

Let me clarify - I shoot 3-gun because it's fun but also because I can develop and test my combat gear system if I ever need it. It's very unlikely of course so basically it's just a hobby, and the thought I know how to effectively run my combat-ready system just makes me comfortable I don't care if I loose a couple of seconds in some stages because I didn't game.
You can try my warbelt setup, kydex setup, Taco setup or chest rig setup at the next Chabot 3-gun Carbine or Tac Rifle match. I won't be hard to find since there is typically a grand total of one AKM user there.

Last edited by Caseless; 04-11-2013 at 9:41 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-11-2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseless View Post
You can try my warbelt setup, kydex setup, Taco setup or chest rig setup at the next Chabot 3-gun Carbine or Tac Rifle match. I won't be hard to find since there is typically a grand total of one AKM user there.
Thanks, that'll be really helpful! I think I already know who you are. Unfortunately I'll be out of CA on May-5, so I guess I'll see you June-1 unless you decide to go to a Tac Handgun.
Meanwhile I'll buy some HSGI TACOs - they seem to be the best universal pouches, and I need to use some other mags besides AK's.
Old 04-11-2013, 6:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Come out to Chabot on Cinco-de-Mayo and get a look at the other shooters. I know one guy will be there who uses an AK with 10 round mags (still full-size). He wears a Molle vest - because he needs 5-6 mags every stage.
Old 04-12-2013, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidimus View Post
Thanks, that'll be really helpful! I think I already know who you are. Unfortunately I'll be out of CA on May-5, so I guess I'll see you June-1 unless you decide to go to a Tac Handgun.
Meanwhile I'll buy some HSGI TACOs - they seem to be the best universal pouches, and I need to use some other mags besides AK's.
June has been reserved for annual pilgrimage to MGM Ironman.
Apr Tac HG has been replaced by multigun match to prepare for the above event.

I think you already have the right approach for your setup. Using Tacos is the way to go. My experience has been the double rifle Tacos is a bit cumbersome for small and medium frame folks. The Double Decker TACO is still the most versatile model.