Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-11-2013, 9:33 PM
CGN Contributor

Location: The chair is against the wall; John has a long mustache
Default Registering a Handgun from AZ

Ok, let me apologize right now if a thread covering this already exists but i was unable to find one.

A close friend just moved here from AZ. He brought with him an XDM40 he purchased from a friend in AZ. In AZ one does not have to go to an FFL to transfer a Firearm. Now that he is in California he needs/wants to register the pistol in his name. he has a notarized bill of sale with name;ssn;b-day; serial number etc of himself and the original seller showing all important information regarding them and the weapon. What would he need to do in order to register it here is California? Biggest problem I think he may have is the person he bought it from has since moved to Florida.

Thanks for any info/help on this one guys.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Calguns Addict

This one is easy. Since he just moved here (as you say) he can just fill out this FORM and pay $19 per handgun to register the handgun. (Rifles are exempt)

As long as the mags are 10 rounds or under, no problem.

New Resident Handgun Ownership Report

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag.../ab991frm.pdf?

This works.

PS..he won't be needing any out of State paperwork or receipts.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-27-2013, 10:41 PM
PhD of Zombie Sciences
CGN Contributor

Default Re:

Pardon the intrusion, but I have a question along these lines and since the OP's question was answered I thought I could side step into another question.

I have a friend, who move here to CA from Utah a year or so ago. He did not fill out the form mentioned above when he got here. I didn't know him when he first got here, or I would have told him. What is a guy in his position to do? He is legal to own these weapons and none of them are on the roster as illegal in CA, but most were purchased at gun shows. Gun show purchases, he says, were cash and carry. Any help is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance for your time, I know it is valuable.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

He should file the form for all his handguns anyway.

See the wiki article -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Mo..._with_firearms

As Oceanbob noted in his reply, no documentation is needed for the guns other than filing the CA form.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum - most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Heller was 2008. McDonald was 2010. Things started getting bad with GCA-1968.
It takes time to unwind 40 years of bad law.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:53 AM
PhD of Zombie Sciences
CGN Contributor

Default Re:

So, being years late, he could file the form noted above and be OK? I just talked to the guy, and by all rationale, he's worried. He came into the state not thinking it was so bad, but being here for a while... well, he knows, lol. Coming from Utah... a very pro gun state and having learned about California ... he wants to destroy the guns and be done with it. I talked him off the ledge for the meantime. What is the worst that could happen? He fills out the form, is there a punishable offense for that? I mean, seriously, he keeps his mouth shut, never takes the guns out of his house vs. filling out the form and letting "them" know he has weapons. I know, not saying anything is wrong, but could he get in trouble for not have saying anything when he got here (the 30 days or whatever)? Thanks again to anyone that replies Answers are important and appreciated, it may make or break this pro 2A legal man.

Last edited by Fryall4; 04-28-2013 at 12:58 AM..
Old 04-28-2013, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

As far as I know, they care more about getting the information than anything else, so filling out the form now should be fine. Perhaps he did not move everything here until now.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-28-2013, 1:42 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryall4 View Post
So, being years late, he could file the form noted above and be OK? I just talked to the guy, and by all rationale, he's worried. He came into the state not thinking it was so bad, but being here for a while... well, he knows, lol. Coming from Utah... a very pro gun state and having learned about California ... he wants to destroy the guns and be done with it. I talked him off the ledge for the meantime. What is the worst that could happen? He fills out the form, is there a punishable offense for that? I mean, seriously, he keeps his mouth shut, never takes the guns out of his house vs. filling out the form and letting "them" know he has weapons. I know, not saying anything is wrong, but could he get in trouble for not have saying anything when he got here (the 30 days or whatever)? Thanks again to anyone that replies Answers are important and appreciated, it may make or break this pro 2A legal man.
READ THE WIKI LINK!!

No foul if the way failure to register is detected is the attempt to register.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum - most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Heller was 2008. McDonald was 2010. Things started getting bad with GCA-1968.
It takes time to unwind 40 years of bad law.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 PM
PhD of Zombie Sciences
CGN Contributor

Default Re:

Thanks guys. I did read the Wiki, just wanted a little extra clarification, and I think I got it. I'll give my friend the information and let him make his decision. It seems OK to me now with all your help.