Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default 2013-2014 Fed BILL INDEX THREAD (113th Congress)

INDEX THREAD FOR 2013 Federal Bills

Procedural Note:
Bills submitted in the 113th Congress, 2013-2014, are alive until the next Congress convenes, Jan 3, 2015.

2013 Fed HR 21 J Moran - NRA Members' Gun Safety Act

2013 Fed HR 34 Bobby Rush - Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing

2013 Fed HR 35 S Stockman - Safe Schools Act of 2013

2013 Fed HR 65 SJ Lee - Child Gun Safety and Gun Access

2013 Fed HR 117 Holt - Handgun Licensing and Registration

2013 Fed HR 133 Massie - Citizens Protection Act of 2013 (Repeal GFSZ)

2013 Fed HR 137 McCarthy - background check for every firearm sale

2013 Fed HR 138 McCarthy - Large capacity ammunition feeding devices

2013 Fed HR HR 141 McCarthy - Gun Show Loophole Closing Act

2013 Fed HR 142 McCarthy - Stop Online Ammunition Sales

2013 Fed HR 226 DeLauro - Proposed $2,000 Tax Credit for turned in "Assault Weapons"

2013 Fed S2 Reid - reduce violence and protect the citizens of the United States

2013 Fed S 150 Feinstein - AW ban

==========

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...y-of-the-house

Usual gang.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum - most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Heller was 2008. McDonald was 2010. Things started getting bad with GCA-1968.
It takes time to unwind 40 years of bad law.

Last edited by Librarian; 02-11-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't know if it's been posted yet but there is a smartphone app that lets you track representatives, bills, votes, etc from your smart phone. It also allows you mark specific bills and "follow" their progress through congress. The app on my phone is just called "Congress". I am following the current bills listed at the top of this thread.

Another nice feature is that it gives contact information for all representatives, their district map, their voting record and various media, videos, news articles, etc that the rep has been featured in. Very nice app for staying up on what's going on in the den of thieves we call Washington.

Here's the link on google play but I just did a search on my phone in the playstore and found it. Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.congress

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!"
-Chesty Puller-

-Dimitri, I'm sorry they're jamming your radar and flying so low, but they're trained to do it. You know, it's, it's initiative!-

Last edited by Vanguard; 01-21-2013 at 5:22 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 PM

S.22 : A bill to establish background check procedures for gun shows.
Sponsor: Sen Lautenberg, Frank R. [NJ]

S.33 : A bill to prohibit the transfer or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices, and for other purposes.

S.34 : A bill to increase public safety by permitting the Attorney General to deny the transfer of firearms or the issuance of firearms and explosives licenses to known or suspected dangerous terrorists.

S.35 : A bill to require face to face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition.

S.54 : A bill to increase public safety by punishing and deterring firearms trafficking.
Sponsor: Sen Leahy, Patrick J. [VT]

S.82 : A bill to provide that any executive action infringing on the Second Amendment has no force or effect, and to prohibit the use of funds for certain purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Paul, Rand [KY]

H.R.236 : Crackdown on Deadbeat Gun Dealers Act of 2013
Sponsor: Rep Langevin, James R. [RI-2]

H.R.321 : Firearm Safety and Public Health Research Act of 2013
Sponsor: Rep Maloney, Carolyn B. [NY-12]

H.R.329 : To amend the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007 to encourage States to provide records to the National Instant Background Check System.
Sponsor: Rep Fitzpatrick, Michael G. [PA-8]

H.R.332 : To provide victims of gun violence access to means.
Sponsor: Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-28]

H.R.339 : To require the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to make video recordings of the examination and testing of firearms and ammunition, and for other purposes. Sponsor: Rep Gingrey, Phil [GA-11]

H.R.404 : To enhance criminal penalties for straw purchasers of firearms.
Sponsor: Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-28]

H.R.410 : To provide that any executive action infringing on the Second Amendment has no force or effect, and to prohibit the use of funds for certain purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Stockman, Steve [TX-36]

1-30-2013

2013 Fed HR 437 McCarthy - To regulate assault weapons

Last edited by Librarian; 01-30-2013 at 2:51 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 2:49 PM

Default H.R.35 -- Safe Schools Act of 2013 (Introduced in House - IH)

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.35:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Armour:

Thank you for contacting me with your support for H.R. 35, the Safe Schools Act of 2013. It's good to hear from you.

Being an avid outdoorsman and gun owner myself, I share your support for the 2nd Amendment and firmly oppose unnecessary restrictions on law abiding gun owners. As you know, the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1990 prohibits the possession of a firearm in a school zone, which is defined as the campus of a public or private school, or within 1,000 feet of the campus grounds.

Under current law, concealed weapons permits are granted at the state level and states are able to grant reciprocity for these permits. However, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has enforced federal law within these safe zones. As a result, Representative Steve Stockman (R-TX) has introduced the Safe Schools Act, which would repeal provisions of the Gun-Free School Zone Act that prohibits the possession of firearms in school zones.

Currently, H.R. 35 awaits consideration by the House Committee on the Judiciary. Rest assured that as Congress continues to discuss this important matter, I remain committed to supporting policies that ensure the protection of the 2nd Amendment.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, do not hesitate to let me know.
Sincerely,
Duncan Hunter
Member of Congress
Old 01-29-2013, 3:10 PM
Super Moderator

Here's some good info from an experienced DC denizen.

Reposted with permission from The High Road - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=698897

This is a Public Service Announcement, I hope it will be of some use as people contact their legislators.

I worked in DC for nearly 20 years, 11 of which were spent working amongst the "movers and shakers". I have also been very politically active for nearly my entire adult life, frequently having close personal contact with my various representatives, their staffers, and other members of government. This has given me some real insight as to the actual "nuts and bolts" operation of our governmental system and how to get things done.

So most of the time it works like this;

1) Your correspondence is read by one of the staffers who goes just far enough to determine what legislation or issue it is referencing so they can assign it a category.

2) Once assigned such a category it is then usually tallied as a "FOR" or "AGAINST". At this point they don't usually get into the details of the letter and the staffer, who is responsible for thousands of pieces of mail, will probably not read any further at this time.

3) At some point down the road, usually closer to the actual discussion of the issue or legislation, the pieces of "FOR" and "AGAINST" correspondence may be read for details and information. This is also usually done by staffers who then write a summary of the talking points for the legislators to read.

Once you understand how this system works it becomes clear that you can write more effective correspondence by using the following guidelines;

1) ONE issue for ONE letter. If you have multiple legislation or issues then you have to write multiple correspondence, sorry but that is how it works.

2) Include your contact information (full name, address, phone number, etc).

3) Address the Legislator appropriately, usually "The Honorable <full name>"

4) START with a clear indication of the Issue in question and say whether you SUPPORT or OPPOSE it. This is especially important for email where the header should clearly state "I SUPPORT HR10XX" or "I OPPOSE the widget restriction bill".

5) Write a BRIEF and TO THE POINT summary of why you have your stance regarding the legislation or issue in question. Generally you should not exceed two paragraphs. If you have evidence supporting your position, reference it.

6) Close by requesting the action you want taken: a vote for or against a bill, or change in general policy.

7) Keep the pressure on...always. Set a calendar reminder or whatever you need to do so that you KEEP SENDING MAIL, this can dramatically increase the chances that your correspondence will be one of those selected for detailed reading.

And finally;

I have seen a lot of dismissal of "new" communication such as email and an ongoing perception that a physical, written, letter somehow carries more weight. I will probably offend a number of traditionalists but the simple truth is that the vast majority of legislative offices prefer email. It is easier to handle, store, retrieve, sort, and read. This trend is getting stronger as electronic systems become increasingly capable of "reading" the emails and creating summary reports.

The WORST thing you can do is send a hand-written letter! If you must send physical mail, type it or do a computer print-out.

Good Luck!

ZeSpectre

===============

Don't forget FAX'd letters and polite phone calls!

Contact info for the Senate: http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

Contact info for the House: http://www.house.gov/representatives/ and http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum - most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Last edited by Librarian; 01-29-2013 at 3:14 PM..
Old 01-30-2013, 9:54 AM

Librarian,

Here are a few bills not listed on this thred.

HR 437, assult weapons ban *submitted yesterday*
S.33, S.34, and S.35

There are a few military out of state residence (like me) that have Senators and Congressmen that are on the fence on these issues. The more info you give us helps us contact them with relevant info.

S 33, 34 and 35 have threads - just cleaned up the topic so the posts with links are more easily seen; I'll get the other two shortly.

As a practice, let's keep this thread low-volume - just posts with the links to the Calguns bill threads, and 'maintenance' posts, like this one - NEW BILL! AUGH!

// Librarian

Last edited by Librarian; 01-30-2013 at 2:40 PM..
Old 01-30-2013, 2:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantedamean View Post
I think SB 179 a gun trafficking bill was just announced too.
Don't find that one either in CA (which uses "SB") or Federal which uses "S.").

Might be along soon ..

Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

2013 Fed HR 538 Engel - FN 5.7 and armor piercing ammo

2013 Fed HR 793 Sanchez - tax handguns to fund buybacks

Last edited by Librarian; 02-22-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 5:06 PM

Librarian,

You can find all the current federal firearms/ammo/2A related bills & resolutions here:

http://firearmspolicy.org/federal
Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
I don't know if it's been posted yet but there is a smartphone app that lets you track representatives, bills, votes, etc from your smart phone. It also allows you mark specific bills and "follow" their progress through congress. The app on my phone is just called "Congress". I am following the current bills listed at the top of this thread.

Another nice feature is that it gives contact information for all representatives, their district map, their voting record and various media, videos, news articles, etc that the rep has been featured in. Very nice app for staying up on what's going on in the den of thieves we call Washington.

any alternative to this app that you can recommend for me...!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 5:23 PM
Super Moderator

2013 Fed S 649 Reid Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013
Introduced March 21, 2013

Old 04-02-2013, 7:20 AM

Mandatory Insurance: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...13hr1369ih.pdf
Old 04-11-2013, 8:50 PM

2013 S. 691 High-Capacity Ammunition Magazine Ban of 2013

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...113s691pcs.pdf
Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Cornyn's S 1908 https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s1908 introduced Jan 9, 2014

Old 02-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default H R 3590 Latta

This Act may be cited as the “Sportsmen’s Heritage And Recreational Enhancement Act of 2013” or the “SHARE Act of 2013”.
http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th/house-bill/3590

Calguns thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=891883

Old 02-10-2014, 1:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Librarian, will there be a new 2014 federal bills sticky?

This thread popping back up about gave me have a heart attack when I saw the list in the first post till I realized it was last year. And that borderlines on the 8th amendment for cruel and unusual punishment!
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 02-11-2014, 9:26 AM

since there was no sandy hook recently, I doubt it will be as long....
Old 02-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Librarian, will there be a new 2014 federal bills sticky?

This thread popping back up about gave me have a heart attack when I saw the list in the first post till I realized it was last year. And that borderlines on the 8th amendment for cruel and unusual punishment!
No.

This is the 113th Congress list, all of 2013 and 2014 - things submitted to the Feds can be brought back at any time. Unlike California, there is only one important date, the beginning of the new Congress in January 2015.

But I'll edit the thread title to reflect that.

Old 03-06-2014, 5:58 PM
Super Moderator

New bill - http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-...bill/2068/text

Senate Bill 2068

...... This Act may be cited as the "Handgun Trigger Safety Act of 2014''.

That is, 'personalized guns'.

Markey of MA, Co-sponsor Warren of NY

Introduced,
Read twice and referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.

Old 08-07-2014, 1:48 PM
Super Moderator

New Bill

Honda, CA-17 H.R.5344 - To prohibit the purchase, ownership, or possession of enhanced body armor by civilians, with exceptions.

Calguns thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=967373

Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 PM

It's quite interesting that the majority of these bills some how include the words, safety, or protection in them. In reality we need our guns for those exact reasons. Rather ironic in my opinion.