Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-07-2013, 5:06 AM

Cool Google Glass and comp shooting

So there is this video out there, http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...plainer-video/

It has a presentation on the new Google Glass. You don't have to watch all of it, but there is a short video at the beginning where it shows what it would be like to wear the glasses and how they work.

I am thinking that these could be stupid useful for comp shooting! You tell it to record a vid and then you can play it back. You can have a super shooter use it so you can put yourself in their shoes.

THIS could be interesting! Imagine in the future where you could say, have the ability to zoom in down range or night vision. Hrmmmmm.
Old 04-07-2013, 5:36 AM
Banned

It would be above Open Division, maybe Alien Robot
Old 04-07-2013, 5:46 AM
Veteran Member

I like the OP's thinking, but in this specific case (trying to duplicate the movements and shots of a far superior shooter) it's a train wreck waiting to happen.

I invite the OP to shoot, say, a USPSA competition in the exact same manner as a GM.

It's important to learn that what's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander, and trying to shoot way above your skill level will teach you that lesson in a big hurry.
Old 04-07-2013, 8:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Seems really cool but as with anything.. also has a few really big draw backs. Unless they plan for this to replace smart phones, it will be add a large service charge to peoples monthly.. it will most likely be uncomfortable to some people (I'm thinking most) and for those tinfoil hatters out there, imagine what someone could see if they remotely accessed the camera in the glass - a first hand view of your life from your own eyes.

On the upside, imagine if they had the ability to correct vision with these, they could replace normal glasses. As the op said, the addition of zoom or night vision could be a phenomenal game changer. Right off the top of my head, I would love to have both a 3x and 6x magnifier mountable with the touch of a button or by voice command. Not only would it make the gun lighter, it would be a seamless and faster transition without having to carry extra gear on you. The sky would be the limit.

Interesting stuff.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 04-07-2013, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
I like the OP's thinking, but in this specific case (trying to duplicate the movements and shots of a far superior shooter) it's a train wreck waiting to happen.
Actually, I wasn't even thinking about trying to duplicate movements. Just trying to see from someone else's eyes doing something that you can relate to.

Just because you can only play Chopsticks doesn't mean that you can't appreciate Peter Nero. (Official oldphart reference to Peter Nero! )
Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM

This reminds me a the anime called dennou coil. Where people used glasses to interact with the world around them. They also used it for everyday tasked.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM

What would be nice is it if would calculate distance. Then have an app to enter dope sheets. And then tell me how much to adjust.

But then again that might make it boring.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill I Am View Post
So there is this video out there, http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...plainer-video/

It has a presentation on the new Google Glass. You don't have to watch all of it, but there is a short video at the beginning where it shows what it would be like to wear the glasses and how they work.

I am thinking that these could be stupid useful for comp shooting! You tell it to record a vid and then you can play it back. You can have a super shooter use it so you can put yourself in their shoes.

THIS could be interesting! Imagine in the future where you could say, have the ability to zoom in down range or night vision. Hrmmmmm.
They have glasses like that already called I-KAM if you are interested in a eye wear mounted camera. But I think GoPro's are probably the best when it comes to capturing action shooting because you can mount them in so many ways plus the ability to stream the video via blue tooth to your mobile phone is pretty dope.
Old 04-07-2013, 1:23 PM

I am waiting for the day when they mounted this device on ESS or other Eyepro...
Old 04-08-2013, 7:08 AM

Funny Bill I Am I was hoping that this device will take off and be used like you mentioned above. But, for $1500 starting price its a souped up GoPro camera with voice commands and some other interesting things. =)

Will be interesting to see what this device will do in a year or two from release.
Old 04-08-2013, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2oore View Post
Funny Bill I Am I was hoping that this device will take off and be used like you mentioned above. But, for $1500 starting price its a souped up GoPro camera with voice commands and some other interesting things. =)

Will be interesting to see what this device will do in a year or two from release.
Agreed. In it's first version it will probably not be much to scream about..but in say, version 10.....
Old 04-08-2013, 8:26 PM

Until it thinks and pulls the trigger....
Old 04-09-2013, 3:00 PM

Throw yourself into the abyss of the technology that only wants to serve you.

"It's a COOKBOOK!"

(I KNOW you got the Twilight Zone reference, right?)
Old 04-09-2013, 3:18 PM

Bluetooth sights that could talk to Google glasses. You could get a HUD target with a lock-on acquired indicator. Little far fetched for gen 1, but down the road. And by gen 5, when you jack them into your brain, control them with your thoughts, and let Google index your whole mind....

I was going to put the TFH smilie, but that's actually not far from reality.
Old 04-09-2013, 4:28 PM

imaging the potential of this on tac-medicine field?
instant access and display procedure and guidelines...