Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default AAR: LMS Defense, Pistol 1 29-30March2013

On 29-30 March 2013 LMS Defense conducted Pistol 1 at Metcalf Range in San Jose.

WEATHER:
It was a bit overcast with cool temperatures in the morning both days, but the sun was out by 10 am. Friday was a warm, sunny day. We experienced about 30 min. of very light rain on Saturday, but warm and clear the majority of the day.

GUNS/GEAR:
Students had a variety of handguns in the class ranging from high end 1911s to the usual Glocks, a Sig and a couple of Smith and Wesson M&P 45s. I continue to be impressed with the M&P series of handguns. Several of the students shot from concealment or minimalist holsters and support equipment which is something that we strongly encourage as more often than not that is how folks will be carrying and we want students to train in the same manner they will be fighting in.

OVERVIEW:
TD 1 began with a safety and medical briefing. Beyond our normal instructional objectives the class was asked to identify their own personal training goals. As a group we identified rapid presentation from the holster coupled with accurate first round hits as a primary learning objective. Additional objectives of the students included bettering their ability to reload quickly, clear malfunctions and shoot on the move. Students ranged in experience from first time formal training to advanced level students looking to solidify skills. After covering the fundamentals of marksmanship, we moved to the range and worked on drills that emphasized presentation from the holster, grip and stance. Other topics that were covered included ready positions, and a discussion on mindset. The LMS Defense Benchmark Drill was introduced and shot. This drill is a ten round course of fire that focuses on several core skills. Students record their times and the drill is shot several more times over the course of the two days to track their improvement. Throughout the day drills alternated between speed focused drills and accuracy focused drills helping students work on balancing the two aspects of shooting. Target engagement techniques and the LMS Defense Fighting Protocol was taught and practiced as well.

TD 2 began with a safety briefing and review of the previous days skills. The training day began with the Benchmark Drill, giving students another opportunity to track their progress. We added positional shooting, forward and backward, and oblique movement, as well as the use of cover and concealment. Throughout the day the drills were designed to incorporate the material learned on TD 1 with the material that the students were learning, allowing the skills to build on each other. Liberal use was also made of dummy rounds to give the students a number of opportunities to practice their malfunction clearing drills. The day culminated with an exercise that incorporated a variety of the skills learned throughout the two days as well as a liberal use of the available area.

Once again Metcalf Range was an excellent training venue. We always enjoy coming to the bay and the facility at Metcalf is top notch.
I would also like to thank the following companies for their support of LMS Defense and our students.

XGO- Performance base layers
www.proxgo.com

Slip 2000- Extreme Weapons Lube
www.Slip2000.com

California Safe Company
www.californiasafeco.com
Cell: (530)403-9420
Email: JoshJackson@LMSDefense.com
www.LMSDefense.com
Old 04-02-2013, 1:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

www.LMSDefense.com
Old 04-02-2013, 1:07 PM
Vendor/Retailer

www.LMSDefense.com
Old 04-02-2013, 1:24 PM

I attended this class as probably the rustiest shooter in the bunch. This was my first formal training since 1999. The LMS team was absolutely superb. I walked away with a stronger skill-set, a bunch of drills to practice on my own, some great memories and a desire to immediately sign up for more training. I learned just as much from the extremely helpful advanced students as I did from the instructors.

For me this was the perfect blend of serious training and a heck-of-a-lot of fun.
Old 04-04-2013, 2:56 PM

I was the first time formal training guy. I can say with certainty that there is no substitute for good quality training.

I would recommend this class anyone who owns a gun. I knew enough to know that I would benefit from some actual hot range training. I did not know what to expect, but I was very pleased with the course. LMS provided a relaxed comfortable environment that felt and was very safe. I took away some knowledge of what I didn’t know prior to the class, drills and techniques to help improve my ‘skills.’ Beyond that it was a lot of fun, and something I look forward to do more of in the future.

I would like to say thanks to the LMS crew and my fellow participants for a great experience and a good time.