Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-25-2013, 6:53 PM

Default KVM switch between 2 distant computers.

I want to set up a KVM switch between 2 Windows computers so I can run them from one set of input/output devises. Problem is due to space constraints, the second computer box has to be placed 20 feet away. I can route the hardwires but will the KVM switch notice the length of the cables/wires if I extend them to the far computer? This is the KVM I was thinking of using because I can toggle from the keyboard. Cost control is important.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-...ds=linksys+kvm

Does the second computer require its own dedicated cable to my router to give it internet access?

Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time setting something like this up.
Old 03-25-2013, 8:53 PM
Calguns Addict

20 feet is pushing the distance of the video cable. You'll need to find thick gauge, shielded 20 foot cable. Try monoprice.com.

And yes, if you have an actual wired network interface, you'll need to put a network cable to that computer (or get a wifi interface for it).

Have you considered just running the box headless and use Remote Desktop, VNC, or SSH (and tunnel xterms if necessary)?

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 03-25-2013, 8:57 PM

Another option instead of a KVM is running a program like TeamViewer. This would let you remotely access any computer you have access to.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

If you only need to access your computers at home (or internal network in office) and not remotely via the internet, go with Remote Desktop. Newer versions of Remote Desktop is fantastic, you can plug in USB devices into your local computer USB port, and have it recognized and used by the remote computer.

Teamviewer is nice if you need remote access using Internet.

Last edited by bigbearbear; 03-25-2013 at 9:11 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 9:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Might be a bit too pricey of an option, but with KVM-over-IP you can run those signals over an Ethernet cable (and 20ft is nothing for it).
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:19 PM
CGN Contributor

cost would go out the window, but you could definitely get the 20+' distance with a KVM over IP setup.

edit: guess I should have refreshed first.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 PM

With Remote Desktop and TeamViewer, I don't really see the need for a true KVM setup. It's very rare that you aren going to need applications on both computers that can't be handled remotely.
Old 03-26-2013, 6:54 AM
Calguns Addict

*Home editions have no RDP service that works, if that is what you have...

VNC?
Old 03-26-2013, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

There are reasonable KVM boxes that use cat5 to transmit their video and control. They are not KVMoverIP, they simply use a network cable as the carrier, not too expensive but not cheap. Gefen and avocent make decent ones.
Old 03-27-2013, 5:07 PM

Thank you very much for your suggestion guys. The other KVM type solutions were expensive for the use I have in mind. I will try the TeamViewer remote control and see if it suffices for what I need to do. Thanks again, you guys are great!
Old 03-28-2013, 9:18 AM

I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech. They offer a wide range of smaller KVM Switch solutions and IP KVM Switch solutions. I have used a few of their KVMs for customer installations and they work well.
Old 03-30-2013, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg-s338 View Post
I want to set up a KVM switch between 2 Windows computers so I can run them from one set of input/output devises. Problem is due to space constraints, the second computer box has to be placed 20 feet away. I can route the hardwires but will the KVM switch notice the length of the cables/wires if I extend them to the far computer? This is the KVM I was thinking of using because I can toggle from the keyboard. Cost control is important.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-...ds=linksys+kvm

Does the second computer require its own dedicated cable to my router to give it internet access?

Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time setting something like this up.
Try using "synergy" client/server program. Its open source (free). It is IP based software where one computer is the server (they keyboard/mouse to use) and the other is a client. I use it for Mac/Windows/and Linux.

My linux server at home runs a graphical display connected to a 50" TV over hdmi. I use my windows workstation or my macbook pro's keyboard/mouse to control my linux server.
Old 04-02-2013, 3:50 PM

Thanks Stonith3901, I'll explore that right now!
Old 04-10-2013, 8:35 AM

Ugh.. KVM over IP devices can be really bad. The mouse won't align correctly, its just wonky. I'd avoid based on my experience. I only use them on certain devices where I don't have any choice. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2013, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslaney View Post
Another option instead of a KVM is running a program like TeamViewer. This would let you remotely access any computer you have access to.
+1 and it's free!

www.KEOKEphotography.com