Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 03-20-2013, 5:24 PM

Default Effectiveness of bolting down a mid sized safe?

I was wondering how effective bolting down a mid sized safe is. I have extensive experience with construction and I know that it isn't super difficult to yank a bolt out of standard sub-flooring and carpet or wooden floors if it's attached to something with sufficient leverage.

My guess is that if a single guy was going to throwing his weight into the side of a mid sized safe for a minute or two it would loosen the bolts up enough for them to rip out of the floor. Now getting the safe out of the house would be a entirely different ordeal but I think its possible.

I was wondering if anyone had considered this and thought of a deterrent. I am planning on attaching multiple very large heavy duty washers to the bottom of my safe bolts to prevent something like this from possible happening.

I dont think this would ever be possible with a very large heavy safe because it would be way to much weight to move but I think people have a false sense of security when they store their guns in small to mid sized safes. What do you think? Am I crazy?
Old 03-20-2013, 5:49 PM

placement is key. Its not going to be so easy if you put it in a corner and bolt it to the wall as well as the floor.

Solidworks drafting
Old 03-20-2013, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemff View Post
placement is key. Its not going to be so easy if you put it in a corner and bolt it to the wall as well as the floor.
True. I hadn't thought of that. Do safes come with mounts on the side?
Old 03-20-2013, 5:58 PM

Just drill the sides and install a sleeve, GTG.
Old 03-20-2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtraxmc View Post
Just drill the sides and install a sleeve, GTG.
Ya that will work but my point is that a lot of people trust way to much in their safes.
Old 03-20-2013, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorr931 View Post
but I think people have a false sense of security when they store their guns in small to mid sized safes. What do you think? Am I crazy?
I tried to remove a small safe that I had lagged to the studs and I figured out very quickly that I would have to demo the wall to get the safe out. 40 years in construction for me

Sure bad guys can take the little safe but it's Slow Carry and only with the right tools. Saw-zaw, sledge, bigger pry bars

Given enough time and the right tools anyone can get into anything. So what burglar carries a battery powered Saw-zaw in their back pocket?
Old 03-20-2013, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

I have a mid sized safe and used 1/2' drop in anchors that depending on the psi of my concrete slab are rated for something like 20k pounds a piece and I used Grade 8 washers and bolts threaded into the drop ins. I have it placed in a corner of my garage and I built a wall around the safe to help prevent tipping or to limit any leverage attacking the door using a demolition or crow bar.
Old 03-20-2013, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Safes keep out the amateur criminals.
Safes slow down the pros.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 03-20-2013, 6:57 PM

Mine is practically hidden in my closet for extra measure. Probably wont keep out the really dedicated thieves, though.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 03-20-2013, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Safes keep out the amateur criminals. Safes slow down the pros.
Given enough time, anything can be moved. If they were able to put it in your house, someone can take it out.
Old 03-20-2013, 9:07 PM

If you have a sub-floor you could make a template of your bolt pattern out of a steel plate and place it under the floor, bolt through the floor and plate below. I doubt a sumo wrestler could knock that down.
Old 03-20-2013, 9:15 PM

My safe is over a 1000 lbs and I still bolted it down. The way I see it is its better to be safe then sorry. Bolting down only helps make it harder for someone to open it. Prying a safe open from its standing position would be a lot harder than prying it after toppling it over.
Old 03-20-2013, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I bolted it down nice and tight since even an 800lbs safe can be moved with the right tools with little effort. I still want to weld a thicker shell on it. Just so that it'll protect from the corner cutting.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 03-20-2013, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

You can always roll out the carpet, cut the sub flooring out.

Once you can see where the Joists are, you can marry them with 4x8 to make almost a wooden slab under where your safe will sit.

Re install the subflooring and return the carpet.

behind the safe you could screw a 3/4" piece of plywood the same dimention as your safe into the studs.

Then lag bolt the safe into your new floor and screw into the wall behind the safe.

lots of options that will help slow people down....
Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM

Its about slowing the bad guy down. I would stack midgets on top of the safe if it slows the bad guy down to piss him off!
Old 03-25-2013, 3:02 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
My safe weighs 1300 lbs empty. If someone of average size and strength throws his weight into it, nothing will happen.

Bolting a safe to subfloor is silly. That's 3/4 plywood. Now lag-bolting it to floor joists with 1/2 lags, that's a different kettle of fish. If the floor joists are not in the right place, then add bridging or extra joists in the right place. Similarly, using 1/2" concrete expansion anchors gives substantially more strength.
I have an application for this coming up, and not being 'mechanical', don't quite see this. Would someone offer a more detailed description for bolting one of the smaller (400 lb-ish) safes to a wood floor over a crawl space?

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-25-2013, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Librarian-

A typical floor is several layers of materials.
You have joists (beams)as the base layer. Based upon code, they are on 16" - 24" centers- in the case of 16" it is 16" from the center of one joist to the next.

The Joist will be a solid piece of lumber-2" x 10" or 2" x 14" and they will run the width of the house.

something like this-

On top of the joists you then fin the subflooring.... It can be either Plywood or a variation of particle board.

The top layer is your flooring- Carpet, Pergo, Tile, etc.

If you bolt into the subflooring - you have only anchored into a thin material.

If a safe is 5 feet tall, then when you pull the safe over, you have a 5 foot lever attempting to rip the safe out of the flooring.

If you use Lag bolts and screw into the joists, now you have a 4,5 or 6" screw sunk into solid wood... and 4,5 or 6" of wood... not just the 1/2" to 3/4" subflooring.

The trouble is that the joists most likely will not align with your safe.

So you need to remove the flooring and then attach new lumber to the joists so that you now have solid wood, attached to the joists that now sits under the mounting holes in your safe.

If you have a crawl space under your home, you could simply drill the holes and screw long screws into the safe/ flooring.

you then crawl under your home to see where the screws went. Are they into a joist or into the subflooring? If in the subflooring, you would then need to cut a new piece of lumber to be installed between the joists so that the lag bolts in the safe would be screwed into wood connected to Joists.

The additional concern is that some homes are not built with a solid piece of wood for Joists... they use a laminate - composite - joist made of wood and glue..... I am not familiar with these nor familiar with the outcome of screwing a lag bolt into one.....

I hope this makes more sense....
Old 03-25-2013, 4:47 PM

[QUOTE=connorr931;10866623]I was wondering how effective bolting down a mid sized safe is. I have extensive experience with construction and I know that it isn't super difficult to yank a bolt out of standard sub-flooring and carpet or wooden floors if it's attached to something with sufficient leverage.

My guess is that if a single guy was going to throwing his weight into the side of a mid sized safe for a minute or two it would loosen the bolts up enough for them to rip out of the floor. Now getting the safe out of the house would be a entirely different ordeal but I think its possible.

I was wondering if anyone had considered this and thought of a deterrent. I am planning on attaching multiple very large heavy duty washers to the bottom of my safe bolts to prevent something like this from possible happening.

I dont think this would ever be possible with a very large heavy safe because it would be way to much weight to move but I think people have a false sense of security when they store their guns in small to mid sized safes. What do you think? Am I crazy? [/QUOTE

Run 220 volts to the safe, see how bad a burgler wants to get in then! Lol
Ive had the same experiance with those red heads, i now use the ones with the sleves, they seem to hold much better, you could also use the epoxy they have. Thats if your bolting to concrete.
Old 03-25-2013, 6:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Librarian-

A typical floor is several layers of materials.
You have joists (beams)as the base layer. Based upon code, they are on 16" - 24" centers- in the case of 16" it is 16" from the center of one joist to the next.

The Joist will be a solid piece of lumber-2" x 10" or 2" x 14" and they will run the width of the house.

something like this-

On top of the joists you then fin the subflooring.... It can be either Plywood or a variation of particle board.

The top layer is your flooring- Carpet, Pergo, Tile, etc.

If you bolt into the subflooring - you have only anchored into a thin material.

If a safe is 5 feet tall, then when you pull the safe over, you have a 5 foot lever attempting to rip the safe out of the flooring.

If you use Lag bolts and screw into the joists, now you have a 4,5 or 6" screw sunk into solid wood... and 4,5 or 6" of wood... not just the 1/2" to 3/4" subflooring.

The trouble is that the joists most likely will not align with your safe.

So you need to remove the flooring and then attach new lumber to the joists so that you now have solid wood, attached to the joists that now sits under the mounting holes in your safe.

If you have a crawl space under your home, you could simply drill the holes and screw long screws into the safe/ flooring.

you then crawl under your home to see where the screws went. Are they into a joist or into the subflooring? If in the subflooring, you would then need to cut a new piece of lumber to be installed between the joists so that the lag bolts in the safe would be screwed into wood connected to Joists.

The additional concern is that some homes are not built with a solid piece of wood for Joists... they use a laminate - composite - joist made of wood and glue..... I am not familiar with these nor familiar with the outcome of screwing a lag bolt into one.....

I hope this makes more sense....
That helps; I sort of knew some of that. I did know that mounting to just the floor deck wasn't enough.

Yes, the probability that the holes in the safe would align with the joists does seem low.

Presume, for discussion, the holes fall between the joists; what size lumber should be used for the lag bolts to attach to - 2x4? 2x6? 4x4?

What keeps the lag bolts from tearing through the bottom of the safe? I would expect some sort of metal reinforcement, but what?

the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, chainsaw - very helpful, and not at all pitched too low. As a computer jock and a nurse, building stuff was never one of my strong skill sets!

Old 03-26-2013, 1:12 PM

Keep in mind that I was strictly talking about mid sized safes. I think the guys with 500 pound + safes are pretty safe. I think the best option is to make a template for the bolts to attach to under the floor. I would assume that would make even a relatively small safe very secure.
Old 03-26-2013, 4:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorr931 View Post
Keep in mind that I was strictly talking about mid sized safes. I think the guys with 500 pound + safes are pretty safe. I think the best option is to make a template for the bolts to attach to under the floor. I would assume that would make even a relatively small safe very secure.
I don't think that is a good assumption. That's not much different than a refrigerator; an appliance dolly could haul a safe that size/weight out of a house pretty easily. Even the big safes were probably moved into place with something like a pallet jack; if the room to get it in is still available, it can be taken out again.

Old 03-26-2013, 4:06 PM

My house is on a raised foundation. I bought a 3/16" steel plate and mounted the steel plate under the floor joists. I then ran nuts and bolts from the safe to the steel plate.
Old 04-02-2013, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

If you have a post-tension slab make sure you know where the tendons are before drilling.