Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-01-2013, 3:09 PM

Default HELP PLEASE!!!

I just reloaded my first 223 without any help. I have a crappy Lee Powder measure and it would spill a little on some of the loads...I don't know which ones, but I had an extra 6.6 grains on my tray after i seated all 50 cases.

Details:

223 loaded at 23.8 grains of H335 with a Sierra matchking 55grain projectile.

The charge is on the lighter side, but I guess with my first batch, I'm just concerned that I may have problems firing.

Option 1, I was considering pulling them all with a bullet puller and redoing the whole process to be on the safe side...i guess, i'm just not sure how low my charge can be and still be safe.

Option 2. I could weigh each one...assuming each case weights roughly the same...and find the one that were light?

Supposed to go shot these tomorrow, so I want to know if I should not or just shot them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-01-2013, 3:13 PM

Here's the quick version--Start over. Do it correctly. Option 2 will not work.
Old 04-01-2013, 3:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

After your charge the cartridges stand over the tray and shine aflashlight in each one to check that they all look the same. It only takes a minute and is a good check that each has a powder charge.
Old 04-01-2013, 3:19 PM

you can weight them all as is to check how many are much below the norm/average.

you can pull them all and reload them to the specs in your loading manual ( you got at least one right ?)

Next time you load try a "crappy" Lee Powder funnel ( you don't miss the case and drop powder on your tray)

depends on how safe and how close to minimum or maximum your charge was to begin with.

Don't blame the equipment for not getting the powder in the case unless your using all the equipment you should be using.

Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones , cause I got a sling shot

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.
Old 04-01-2013, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

Start over and pay attention! Remember you dealing with things the love to go BOOM............

XL-650 to feed the .45ACP's Les Baer, SA TRP Full Rail Operator, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman and a custom built Colt M1911. 9MM SA Range Officer and a Ruger P-85
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 04-01-2013, 3:30 PM

i was using the lee powder funnel, still some would slip out of the crack in the side...there are 50 reloads. I weight all of them, 3 are extra light...10 are on a little on the light side,

I triple checked and all of them had powder, looked about even, except for one and it was a little high, 24.2, so i redid that one.

Does anyone know the min charge for H335 on a 223 with 55 grain. What happens if its slightly undercharge, will it still fire?
Old 04-01-2013, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

Although by what you posted, it sounds like the worst that you are facing are some slightly under charged cases, which then will likely all go bang. The problem is two fold: 1) what did you accomplish? ammo that goes bang and doesn't hurt you or others around you is hardly anything to tell anyone about. 2) the ammo almost certainly won't group as the powder charges are likely all over the place. Great, some on paper, some not (it likely won't be quite that bad, I exaggerated to get my point across).

My advice is have some self respect, pull them, take what you have learned to build some quality rounds.

My favorite saying in reloading, "if in doubt, there is no doubt, pull 'em."

Whatever you decide, good luck.

PS - Get one of those clear plastic Lyman funnels and end spilt powder forever.

Last edited by Bill Steele; 04-01-2013 at 3:41 PM..
Old 04-01-2013, 3:34 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Start over... why risk it? You can weigh all the cartridges you want when your done, but its not a good indication of power content. Brass fluxuates in weight and the projectile may also.
Old 04-01-2013, 3:41 PM

I still don't know what will happen if I undercharge? I weighted and took the lightest one pulled it and it is low...22.9 grains. could this hurt me, damage my weapon...By the way, this is all just plinking ammo...not match shooting here...I'm 100% sure its not overcharged which I understand to be a big problem...but I haven't read anything regarding an under minimum charge.

That's why i decided to go on the low end to make sure I don't hit maximum pressure. This was my first time using this powder measure and am not at all pleased it(i learned on a RCBS and it was solid and didn't lose any powder on any cases)
Old 04-01-2013, 3:53 PM

Here's the lowdown, my friend. It is PROBABLY not a dangerous situation that you have found yourself in. However, what will you get out of having loaded so sloppily? The satisfaction of knowing that you didn't load a catastrophic set of cartridges?

Also, speaking generally, undercharging can be catastrophic as all get-out. Let's say you undercharge the case to the extent that the projectile doesn't leave the barrel when the round is fired. Then you shoot the next round.....what do you think will happen?

My advice is to start anew and get it right. Your haphazardly loaded ammo will not be satisfying to shoot in my estimation. Properly loaded ammo...much more so.
Old 04-01-2013, 3:59 PM

worse case. too low and you will stick a bullet in the barrel and try to shoot another round. overpressure the gun and it goes boom in the hand.

best case: lose some time redoing your rounds but it least you'll have all your body parts attached..

redo your rounds. never worth the risk.
Old 04-01-2013, 4:11 PM

okay, so everyone says redo it all....so do i need to resize the brass again? or toss it out with the new primers?
Old 04-01-2013, 4:29 PM

no. the only thing thats messed up is the powder weights.. pull all the rounds and re do your powder charges.
Old 04-01-2013, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

Many people mess up on their first reloads. I know I did.

1. Pull
2. Dump the charge
3. Recharge the case
4. Reseat the bullet

A press mounted bullet puller is your friend, get the Hornady cam lock not the RCBS twist lock. The twist lock has a tendency to twist the whole die in the press.
Old 04-01-2013, 7:49 PM

This is nothing. I had to pull apart my first 150 223 rounds and reprime 1000 LOL It happens, man, no big deal.

It kinda *is* rocket science though, so it's worth re-doing. I just use pliers, they nick but so what.
Old 04-02-2013, 3:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrextc View Post
I just reloaded my first 223 without any help. I have a crappy Lee Powder measure and it would spill a little on some of the loads...I don't know which ones, but I had an extra 6.6 grains on my tray after i seated all 50 cases.

Details:

223 loaded at 23.8 grains of H335 with a Sierra matchking 55grain projectile.

The charge is on the lighter side, but I guess with my first batch, I'm just concerned that I may have problems firing.

Option 1, I was considering pulling them all with a bullet puller and redoing the whole process to be on the safe side...i guess, i'm just not sure how low my charge can be and still be safe.

Option 2. I could weigh each one...assuming each case weights roughly the same...and find the one that were light?

You know what they say about making assumptions? Option 2 is NOT an option if you want to be safe and continue to reload and shoot. I am one crazy fool and even I know better than to do that...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitare
Old 04-02-2013, 5:59 AM

First I would pull them apart and re-do them, after I got a better powder measure or find the problem with this one and fix it. personally i take pride in my re-loads and like to see them done right.
Old 04-02-2013, 6:16 AM

Pull bullets collect powder. If your haveing trouble with your measure drop powder in try measure on scale use funnel to fill.
Old 04-02-2013, 6:24 AM

If you are incapable of making your "crappy" Lee powder measure to work, get one that you can make work for you. In the mean time, pull the rounds and hand weigh each load or make your own scoop. It's pretty easy by using an old case cut to size and soldering a brass rod to it. Or you can use a smaller load and "scoop and trickle".
Old 04-02-2013, 6:35 AM

i don't know what a crappy lee powder measure is but as others have said, start over. pull them apart. slow down, i'm not sure of your operation but in a .223 you are putting a lot of powder thru a small neck. picture an hourglass. you may not be allowing enough time for all of the powder to flow into the case.

this is just a guess.
Old 04-03-2013, 1:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback...starting the pulling tonight!