Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 04-01-2013, 3:41 PM

Default DFG"S fund raising draws, these resources belong to us wtf.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunti...ntSchedule.pdf

I have a hard time understanding how this is accepted, that the dfg can auction off these premium tags at misc events for big money when the average hunter has almost no chance of ever getting drawing for any of these golden hunts. I was reading about some guy who regularly outbids everyone for the bighorn sheep tag,(somewhere in the range of 30 k for the tag). THE GUY DOESN'T EVEN LIVE IN CALIFORNIA. It would seem to me that these "golden tags" shouldn't be auctioned off to the highest bidder since the resources belong to all of us, and at the very least they should only go to residents of California.

It seems to me that the dfg is selling off our resources to the highest bidder, then screwing the average hunter from ever getting a chance to do one of these hunts. How does this happen, and am i wrong to be getting upset about this

Last edited by waterfern; 04-01-2013 at 4:35 PM..
Old 04-01-2013, 4:05 PM

Hahahaha, that's funny. Do you also still believe that the airwaves belong to us?

But yes, it does seem wrong. Seems like the best way would be a lottery open only to verified residents of CA.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-01-2013, 4:24 PM

I wonder if it would be possible for the hunters in California to take a stand by starting the initiative process to get a ballot proposition, where we the hunters of California take a more proactive role in how this form of government is run.
Maybe then we would stop losing our rights to hunt here and get these public workers to work for the public.

Last edited by waterfern; 04-01-2013 at 4:28 PM..
Old 04-01-2013, 4:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Well "they say" they do good things with the money.

Any ballot proposition would look anti hunting and would probably be amended to be anti hunting.

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 04-01-2013, 4:54 PM
Banned

Totally agree-hunting shouldn't go to the rich,
it ought to be by lot to every hunter

sunaj
Old 04-01-2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSpade View Post
Well "they say" they do good things with the money.

Any ballot proposition would look anti hunting and would probably be amended to be anti hunting.
Well if its a petition based proposition the wording would be done by the lawyer working for the group sponsoring the proposition. So you could write it however you want it. I think.
Old 04-01-2013, 5:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

And it could spawn counter propositions???

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 04-01-2013, 5:24 PM
CGSSA Associate

Good luck with that maybe peta or the humane society will sponsor it. These tags raise millions for habitat, transplants etc. Every hunting orginisation I can think of is for the tags. Mule deer foundation, RMEF, FNAWS, SCI, Boone and Crockett, etc.

http://www.muledeer.org/blog/mdf-sel...s-conservation
Old 04-01-2013, 5:41 PM
CGSSA Associate

"the average hunter has almost no chance of ever getting drawing for any of these golden hunts. I was reading about some guy who regularly outbid

Sure you can you just need to apply for enough of them. One of my hunting buddys has drawn several sheep tags and other once in a lifetime tags and hes broker than me. Just apply for all the best hunts in all the western states you will draw tags. Once the points start building up you will really start drawing them .lol

Apply for one once in a lifetime hunt you will be lucky to go once in your life. Apply for 40 or 50 a year you will be doing some hunting. Example Elk, Mule deer , antelope, sheep, and moose , mountain goat if they have them in 8 or 9 western states you will draw tags.
Old 04-01-2013, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragornElessar86 View Post
Hahahaha, that's funny. Do you also still believe that the airwaves belong to us?

But yes, it does seem wrong. Seems like the best way would be a lottery open only to verified residents of CA.
Not LOTTERY...auction <-------
Let me see....public recourse...fat gov making money off of it...what's new ?
Old 04-01-2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Good luck with that maybe peta or the humane society will sponsor it. These tags raise millions for habitat, transplants etc. Every hunting orginisation I can think of is for the tags. Mule deer foundation, RMEF, FNAWS, SCI, Boone and Crockett, etc.

Agreed

Old 04-01-2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:

Its not that i am against the tags, i am against what seems to be a way to take away hunting opportunities from the average hunter and place it squarely in the hands of the wealthy elite who can afford blowing 80k on a big horn sheep tag when there are only 20 available to the general public.

I looked it up and between 2009-2010 the special draws only raised 406,000 dollars for 2 years. That 's it. You can look it up on the 2011 big game digest on page 10 under "fund raising Big game tags" section.

Is that money well spent, doubt it. They probably spent more than that on overtime for the "wild justice" tv show.
Old 04-01-2013, 5:57 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Its not that i am against the tags, i am against what seems to be a way to take away hunting opportunities from the average hunter and place it squarely in the hands of the wealthy elite who can afford blowing 80k on a big horn sheep tag when there are only 20 available to the general public.

I looked it up and between 2009-2010 the special draws only raised 406,000 dollars for 2 years. That 's it. You can look it up on the 2011 big game digest on page 10 under "fund raising Big game tags" section.

Is that money well spent, doubt it. They probably spent more than that on overtime for the "wild justice" tv show.
The tags arent huge money here like in other states. The montana bighorn tag alone sells for 300,000 plus every year. I dont really mind the tags as long as each state is just doing a handful but anymore than that I could see problems if they become too popular and states essentialy start selling quanitys of tags to the highest bidder.
Old 04-01-2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
The tags arent huge money here like in other states. The montana bighorn tag alone sells for 300,000 plus every year. I dont really mind the tags as long as each state is just doing a handful but anymore than that I could see problems if they become too popular and states essentialy start selling quanitys of tags to the highest bidder.

Makes sense, except governments have always been greedy and will always take more.

Off the subject, but i was reading this over and if i am not mistaken (which i might be),someone who has a golden tag or open draw tag can swap that tag out for 2 other premium tags, strange.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGE&cad=rja
Old 04-01-2013, 6:35 PM
CGSSA Associate

I could be wrong myself but I think you are reading that wrong. I believe if you dad two regular deer tags you would have to turn one in for the golden oppurtunity tag same as you do with a plm tag. DFW does not want anybody taking more than 2 deer a year here. Nevada is different you can buy as many landowner tags as you want there,

Quote:
Makes sense, except governments have always been greedy and will always take more.

Off the subject, but i was reading this over and if i am not mistaken (which i might be),someone who has a golden tag or open draw tag can swap that tag out for 2 other premium tags, strange.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGE&cad=rja
Old 04-01-2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
It is my understanding that the money from these auctions can only be used to enhance the programs the tags are from.
There was a time when this wasn't necessary. In 1970, hunters bought 763,671 licenses. In 2012, hunters bought 278,047 licenses.
Since 1970, the DFG has had more and more of it's revenue go to non-hunter issues like pollution, toxic spills, endangered species, etc. Things that all Californians should be paying for, not just hunters and fishermen. The reason DFG changed it name to DFW is because so much of it's resources are now dedicated to fish and wildlife that are not hunted or fished for.

Old 04-01-2013, 6:41 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm with Pie. Plus CA does the lottery tags which are like $8.xx a piece or something. What I didn't realize until I read it in this years digest is that if I win that lottery for elk my $8.xx lottery ticket covers the cost of my tag. Elk tag is like $400 so I'm down with that.
Scopes for sale!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1160250