Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 PM

Wink Just a quick shout to Macs and Guns.

My first computer ever was an Apple IIe.
Short time after our family bought a Compaq Presario Pentium 120 on Windows 95. That took me through high school. First computer I built was a Pentium 166MMX overclocked to 223Mhz. Since then I've made a career out of Networking the Windows world. But like any technical hobby it can get expensive!! Lowered Hondas, Lifted Toyotas, Audi's with Euro parts... always something new to spark my interest.

I * JUST * got into the sport/hobby of shooting and firearms and I can honestly say I'm surprised I waited this long. LOVE IT.

I will say that Even though I grew up with Windows, I love the stability of Mac knowing I can concentrate on other facets of my life, including guns, and not have to continually worry about PC issues. With that in mind, I draw a parallel between what we talk about here (Guns) and the other equipment we use in our daily life. Everybody talks about a gun being a reliable and functioning exactly how you want it to when you need it. Well, for me that's the Mac OS. It just works.

Windows pays the bills. MACs flaunt the skills.

It's like that gun or caliber you've never shot before... try it then you get hooked.

WTB - Smith and Wesson M&P 9C, SKU 209304

My AR Pistol!
Old 03-22-2013, 1:34 PM

I started on an Atari 400 with audio tape recorder for storage that I upgraded to 16K of RAM, then to Coleco ADAM, Commodore VIC-20, Commodore64, Amiga 500, Commodore Colt 8088, Atari 1040STe, built my first 386 computer, then a 486 DX-33, 486 DX4-100, Pentium 133, Dual Pentium Pro 200Mhz. From there I've built more computers than I can remember for myself, friends, co-workers, etc....

I had a Mac PowerPC G4 and G5 and a MacBook to go with my many built PCs. I've gone through DOS (of course), OS2 Warp, several UNIX and Linux flavors, several Windows revisions, several MAC OS version, and several different proprietary OSes on earlier system.

Each OS has it's plus and minuses. I am not huge on MAC OS. Lately, depending on what the purpose of the system is, my go to OSes are Ubuntu (Linux) and Win7. But I enjoy most everything the computer world has to offer.

I recently like you have recently gotten into shooting and firearms and should be hitting my one year mark for my first purchase next month. It like all great hobbies can get expensive, but is a lot of fun!
Old 03-22-2013, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

One-click-roots for Android on Macs?
ADB Mac Drivers for Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG?

Copy a file to a COM1: port for old-printers-that-are-still-used-at-work testing?

Run Slackware Linux natively when you retire her as an old-rig, but New(er)-Server (one-trick-pony using MBR for lilo)?

Netflix? Flash (Free Streaming pr0n)?

Double-click titlebar to max/restore?

Reuse case with new guts? Add 1 stick of RAM?

Resize any windows from any corner?

Tab to the next field?

Cut a file to paste it into another folder?

With as long as it takes to do anything not related to basic use in Win8 (compared to Win7, and WinXP) I will probably opt for a desktop Linux distro instead... M$ is pissing me off with pretties, default tie-ins to MS accounts, and non-efficiency (just do what I told you to do, THEN calculate AFTER STARTING the process, MS).

Last edited by the86d; 03-22-2013 at 2:37 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 3:10 PM

Apple and linux are the way of the future.

Apple used to suck, they had hardly any programs and there was no real software for work/business but that was then.

I was a die hard PC guy but mac became better when:

-Mac switched to IBM standards. This allowed MacOS to be installed on any pc just like windows

-MacOS could be installed on custom hardware (no more having to buy a hipster machine). You could custom engeneer your pc as you need for work etc.

-Major companies started programing for both mac and pc. Work software is now available on mac. Theres nothing work wise I can think of that you can't do on a mac (10 years ago there was a ton of things a mac coudn't do)

-Mac started standardizing file formats. For example text, image, audio, video etc all works on a mac and linux the same (and pc mostly).

It used to be that nerds programmed on windows, now they program on linux.

You will see more MacOS machines and also Chrome/Linux Machines.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6B5kgBNL74
59:09-1:00:31
15:40

Last edited by the86d; 03-25-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Old 03-31-2013, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFitness View Post
Apple and linux are the way of the future.

Apple used to suck, they had hardly any programs and there was no real software for work/business but that was then.

I was a die hard PC guy but mac became better when:

-Mac switched to IBM standards. This allowed MacOS to be installed on any pc just like windows

-MacOS could be installed on custom hardware (no more having to buy a hipster machine). You could custom engeneer your pc as you need for work etc.

-Major companies started programing for both mac and pc. Work software is now available on mac. Theres nothing work wise I can think of that you can't do on a mac (10 years ago there was a ton of things a mac coudn't do)

-Mac started standardizing file formats. For example text, image, audio, video etc all works on a mac and linux the same (and pc mostly).

It used to be that nerds programmed on windows, now they program on linux.

You will see more MacOS machines and also Chrome/Linux Machines.
I think two things were Apple's saving grace. One being that their OS started to run on Intel architecture instead of PowerPC. The other was Microsoft / Bill Gates actually saved Apple Inc. when they were in dire needs.

Yes I somewhat lean towards being an apple fanboy as well. Just have to give credit to Microsoft at times, they aren't as evil/cruel as you would think. Especially when it comes to saving your competitor from bankruptcy.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 AM

WINDOWS FTW!

...and I will show myself out of the room.