Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

View Poll Results: Have you Had a Negligent Discharge?
Yes I admit I Have. 21 23.08%
No Im Safe with my Firearms. 66 72.53%
This Guy Needs to run a Search Next Time. 4 4.40%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2013, 1:03 PM

Default So Im Sure it's Been Asked Before...

How Many People Here Have Had a Negligent Discharge?
Go On throw Those Hands up, And Regale us With your Tale.
Old 03-29-2013, 2:08 PM

Yeah........

That poor bed didn't stand a chance.....

It happened to me after 30 years of responsible, safe, and otherwise uneventful firearms ownership.

So, I was going to the range, and had decided that My nightstand piece needed some practice. So, I grab my range bag and throw it on the bed. I reach into the nightstand, grab my piece, and throw that on the bed with it's back-up mags. I reach into the range bag and pull out my gun rug. Now normally I unload the firearm before I grab the gun rug, so I was already out of sequence. Then I wondered if I had my extra mags in the range bag, and stopped to look inside. They weren't in there, so I went and grabbed them from the gun room. Instead of taking a moment to collect my thoughts, I proceeded to get the gun ready for transport. Somewhere in my head I thought I had removed the mag and unloaded the gun. So I racked the slide to confirm empty. A ROUND COMES FLYING OUT!! Now that should have been my "sit your azz down, and think" moment. Instead I just assumed that I forgot to rack when I unloaded, so I pointed the gun straight down at the bed and pulled the trigger.

Gosh, that was loud!

So this happened at about 09:00. I promptly went and sat down on the couch, waiting for the police to arrive. After a half an hour, when they didn't show, I went back and surveyed the damage. I had shot straight through the bed to the floor, ruining my wife's good comforter. I sent her a text.....she was less than impressed!

In all fairness, if it wasn't for this states stupid transport laws, I would have just packed up and gone to the range. That doesn't excuse the fact that the only rule I did follow was the safe direction rule.

That's my story...... point and laugh if you must.

ETA: I still have the bullet, I made a necklace out of it. Just a reminder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213
Maybe I should quit my job and just OC all day until my money train pulls up and unjustly arrests me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
OK, I don't know everything about Congress (except that it's the opposite of "progress" )
Old 03-29-2013, 2:16 PM

I don't keep my guns chambered at home. My carry piece usually isn't chambered either. Too many kids around for me. So no AD as of yet and hopefully never.
Old 03-29-2013, 2:30 PM

I've never had negligent discharge, but I think that's because I don't own any guns and have never shot any.
Old 03-29-2013, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbarnie View Post
I've never had negligent discharge, but I think that's because I don't own any guns and have never shot any.
Where are you barnie? We need to take you out shooting.....NOW!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213
Maybe I should quit my job and just OC all day until my money train pulls up and unjustly arrests me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
OK, I don't know everything about Congress (except that it's the opposite of "progress" )
Old 03-29-2013, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF/EMT Nick View Post
Superbarnie don't need no guns, he a dinosaur dressed in pimp purple.

Never had an nd but I try my best to follow the four rules as best I can.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 03-29-2013, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Nope.... Ive been shooting guns for 15 years, but a good 6 or 7 of those years was spent with my dad hovering directly behind me and checking/double checking my clearing practices. I have now owned guns for almost 3 years with no parental supervision, and glad to report no incidents (I pray it will stay that way)
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong; Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong; Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown, Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

Whatever doesn't kill me... better start running.
Old 03-29-2013, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Last weekend..........Got my first DQ at a 3 gun match. A primer failed to go off. I had the rifle pointed horizontal at the targets, pulled the charging handle and ejected the round from my AR and sent a new one home.........I heard and felt it go off. Oh crap. No one told me to stop so I finished the course of fire. Luckily it was the last stage and I already had shot the others. Match director DQed me. I followed all the rules, except keep your bugger hook of the bang switch when you don't want to shoot.

Now, I will be practicing the habit of putting my booger hook on the bullet button when I am not engaging a target. Luckily, I have never set off a round at home.

Last weekend, I also set off my 460 mag revolver when I was still half a second from intending to pull the trigger. I was slow firing in single action. I was looking at the target when I cocked the hammer. I must have had my finger on the trigger a tad too soon. Single action is so light that you can't feel it move when the shot breaks. The gun went off, with a light 460 load, but it still hit the target.

When I compete with a shotgun or pistol, I take my finger off the trigger and hold it off to the side when moving. I need to slow down and pay more attention to moving my finger out of the way no matter what type of shooting I am doing.

I don't normally load a gun at home and I triple check the chamber and magwell when I pickup a gun. Hopefully I won't be posting any updates here.

As far as match DQ's go, they said it is when, not if, you have one. When you push the clock, stuff happens.

At home, it should never happen, but none of us is perfect either.
Old 03-29-2013, 5:45 PM

Fortunately has never happened to me. I don't chamber until I'm ready to fire at home. I don't want to end up as an anti-gunner's statistic
Old 03-29-2013, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I've come close to a premature discharge but I've spent enough time here to learn how to keep that from happening...

Old 03-29-2013, 7:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I had a broken right hand I am right handed, it was in a cast and was hurting, I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I just finished cleaning my 1911.

I normally,...
visually cleared chamber, drop slide release, point weapon at 45 degree angle at ground, pull trigger, insert loaded magazine, place on desk top.

what I did...

Visually cleared chamber, loaded magazine, dropped slide, pulled trigger at a 45 degree angle, sat there wondering why my ears were ringing while looking at smoldering hole in carpet.
Old 03-29-2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
Last weekend, I also set off my 460 mag revolver when I was still half a second from intending to pull the trigger. I was slow firing in single action. I was looking at the target when I cocked the hammer. I must have had my finger on the trigger a tad too soon. Single action is so light that you can't feel it move when the shot breaks. The gun went off, with a light 460 load, but it still hit the target.
Similar situation for me. Was getting ready to fire my S&W 686 for the second time out on BLM land, cocked the hammer, and was lowering the gun to aim at the target. Finger was on the trigger. They say when properly squeezing the trigger, you should be somewhat surprised when the gun goes off, we'll I was definitely surprised, but not because of properly squeezing the trigger. I ended up firing well above my intended target. Luckily I was at least pointing down range. Hair trigger in SA. Finger off the trigger until I intend to fire. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezcalfud View Post
Because a Glock looks great in the case and then when you take it home it feels like you're holding a Costco pack of Kielbasa.
Old 03-29-2013, 7:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Yes, luckily it was at a time where it wasnt a big deal at all

Was shooting the plate rack at Richmond rod and gun with my shotgun, another guy was resetting it (with a rope pull, not manually!) and I lost count of my shots. Anyways, thought I was empty, was still pointing down range but didnt have the shotgun shouldered very well and popped off the last round. Didn't feel great.

Not very exciting, I know.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 03-29-2013, 9:05 PM

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who have had a negligent discharge and those who are gonna have a negligent discharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W.
For California they will be shipped non-destuctively blocked to 10 rounds to comply with the stupid and hateful decrees of our stupid and hateful insane clown Marxist moron bandit overlords in that festering moral and intellectual dung heap known as Sacramento.
Old 03-29-2013, 9:09 PM

no but i have pulled a handgun out of the safe and accidentally pulled the trigger on it (always in a safe direction) before checking it. there was a snap cap in it but it still gave me the chills.
Old 03-29-2013, 9:28 PM

I was rabbit hunting with my regular hunting buddy, working a rock pile from different sides and when we were finished with our hunt we began to move toward one another to touch base. I had my shotgun pointed straight up in the air, walking over a broken rock pile toward him and was de-cocking the shotgun when I lost my footing and the shotgun discharged straight up into the air. He looked at me and said "Duck hunting, eh?". I was really embarrased and he still kids me about it sometimes. It's definatlely a learning experience, and one I don't want to repeat.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Nope.. I hope and pray that it won't happen..

"its hard to face the problem if the problem is your face"
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 PM

No, I haven't, But like most things in life it's probably a matter of "when" and not "if". I did get the chance to see my cousin shoot a hole in the roof of his parents garage when we got back from duck hunting one time. That was pretty damn funny after the fact

Last edited by motox917; 03-29-2013 at 10:13 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

First day I brought my very first gun back home. I was playing with magazines and loading and unloading and... I pulled the magazine, then pulled the trigger, bang.

Since then I've had a deep and abiding paranoia about whether my gun was loaded.
"Ecuador offers the United States $23 million a year in economic aid, an amount similar to what we were receiving under the tariff benefits, with the purpose of providing human rights training that will contribute to avoid violations of people's privacy, that degrade humanity," --Fernando Alvarado
Old 03-30-2013, 7:14 AM

Still envying the fact you have a "gun room" maybe I can put the wife's sewing machine in the basement... Hmm maybe not.
Old 03-30-2013, 7:28 AM

Nope, not yet. I just hope the when/if it does happen, it happens as safely as possible.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 03-30-2013, 8:13 AM
Irritable Smut Lordô
CGN Contributor

I had an unintentional discharge, but it wasn't negligent.

I'd just bought a new M44, and it was my first time taking it out to the desert to shoot. Because it was the first time, and it was non-refurbed, I was being more cautious than normal, because of the Mosin-Nagant's particular sear arrangement. Even though I'd dry-fired it quite a few times and racked the bolt a lot, I'd never had a problem ... but the first time I chambered a round (with the rifle safely pointed downrange and finger off the triffer, although not completely shouldered because the bolt is so long) sure 'nuff, the sear didn't hold, and the round fired when I closed the bolt.

That was also the last time that particular rifle has fired. I haven't gotten around to replacing the sear yet, so I keep the bolt separate from the gun just to make sure I don't accidentally grab it for use.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 03-30-2013, 8:19 AM
Free Mustache Rides
CGN Contributor

I have had one...was pulling my xd45 out of the safe and accidentally pulled the trigger. Ruined a box of 45, scared the sh*t out of me, and my ears were ringing for a few hours.
Old 03-30-2013, 8:20 AM

Hopefully never.
It sounds like he doesn't own any mil-surps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
What does T&A mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
What does TaN mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joea View Post
What does T, A & F mean?
Old 03-30-2013, 9:46 AM
Patient@GunAddictWard
CGN Contributor

Nothing yet, keep you posted...
Old 03-30-2013, 9:55 AM

No but I did go the range once and when I pulled the slide back on my 9 my HD round popped out. :0
Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF/EMT Nick View Post
I live in the LA county area. I've actually been trying to get a chance to visit a range nearby and maybe rent a gun but with the ammo craze, I figured it would even if I rent a gun it would be hard to find some ammo to shoot.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
I had an unintentional discharge, but it wasn't negligent.

I'd just bought a new M44, and it was my first time taking it out to the desert to shoot. Because it was the first time, and it was non-refurbed, I was being more cautious than normal, because of the Mosin-Nagant's particular sear arrangement. Even though I'd dry-fired it quite a few times and racked the bolt a lot, I'd never had a problem ... but the first time I chambered a round (with the rifle safely pointed downrange and finger off the triffer, although not completely shouldered because the bolt is so long) sure 'nuff, the sear didn't hold, and the round fired when I closed the bolt.

That was also the last time that particular rifle has fired. I haven't gotten around to replacing the sear yet, so I keep the bolt separate from the gun just to make sure I don't accidentally grab it for use.
Reminds me of the guy I know who bought a break action shotgun at a garage sale and when he first closed the action (with a round chambered) it shot. He found out really quickly why it was so cheap.

No ND for me as of now. Knock on wood.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbarnie View Post
I live in the LA county area. I've actually been trying to get a chance to visit a range nearby and maybe rent a gun but with the ammo craze, I figured it would even if I rent a gun it would be hard to find some ammo to shoot.
The range should have ammo for rental guns. In fact all the ranges I have been to insist that you use their ammo.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Warmongering Pacifist
CGN Contributor

No, but I came close to getting shot in the *** by an idiot who did have one.

Americans who are not self-reliant and depend on government to take care of them are not Americans. You cannot depend on government and be free.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:54 AM

Are there many handguns that can't be decocked without a trigger pull? (Similar to how the AR-15 operates) I'm not understanding these trigger pulls on unloaded handguns.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:56 AM

One.
A friend hands me his .308 that had "custom work".
He had painted the whole gun, bolt too. It was not easy to cycle and kept sticking.
I couldn't shut the bolt, so *negligently* I propped it up for more leverage and gave her a what for.
Driving the bolt home activated his super custom low speed high drag 1 lbs trigger.
I sent a .308 at a 45 degree angle into orbit. The lesson?
Don't trust friends gear and remember muzzle awareness.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM

These are all great cautionary tales.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:47 PM
CGN Contributor

Have not had a negligent discharge as of yet. Thank God!
Old 03-30-2013, 1:37 PM

no kids yet
Old 03-30-2013, 4:39 PM

closest I would say I've ever came to one was a few years ago shooting my dad's old high standard duramatic .22, gun doesn't lock back on the last round so when the dry shot came I dropped the mag and racked the slide a couple of times without looking put on safe and walked back to the truck to reload when I got back and looked I realized it didn't eject and grab the last round that failed and when I took safe off and pointed down range... bang damn thing worked when I didn't even think it was loaded didn't sit well with me at all and even tho I was safe and handled properly it was a wake up call to always rack and look in chamber when done not just rack no matter how many times you do it.. totally my fault and since then I always make sure everything is cleared before done shooting... and I've never had anything chambered in the house just a precaution I always take my big dog and cool demeanor always gave me reassurance that If something happened in house id be quick to load and be at the ready when needed magazines are always filled and guns are always In reach tho.
Old 03-30-2013, 6:14 PM

I've had a slam fire, but I had it pointed in a safe direction so put a 12ga target load into the grass down range.