Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-29-2013, 8:59 AM

Default Moving to California from the UK via Texas

Hello everyone,

It looks like Uncle Sam is sending us to Northern California! We are wondering what hardware we can bring without having to worry about the local SWAT teams kicking in our door and shooting our cat or dog because they thought they saw a gun. I've read the FAQ's here and they are about as clear as mud. I credit that to the laws, not Calguns of course. Is there any quick and fast rules?

I have a gun safe currently in Texas that houses all my goodies, but am not sure what I can bring. I have several pistols, a few rifles and shotguns, several of which are the "evil looking" type that scare halfwits and schoolgirls from France.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to the good old U S of A. I've had enough Fish n Chips, Snails, and Bratwurst to last me a lifetime...

Last edited by Montag; 03-29-2013 at 9:28 AM.. Reason: Brevity
Old 03-29-2013, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

See this from the CFG Wiki
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Mo..._with_firearms
Old 03-29-2013, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
Excellent reference, too bad they changed the active duty assault weapon clause... That answers that question. Now to see about the pistols.. <sigh>

Last edited by Montag; 03-29-2013 at 9:45 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
Excellent reference, too bad they changed the active duty assault weapon clause... That answers that question. Now to see about the pistols.. <sigh>
If its not banned by name just stick a bullet button on it and get some 10 round magazines.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
If its not banned by name just stick a bullet button on it and get some 10 round magazines.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
A bullet button? I guess I haven't read far enough...
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Generally horrible advice above. Well not "bad" per se but woefully incomplete.

First, handguns. Buy pretty much whatever you want before you get here... moving in with most pistols is no sweat, but acquiring them after here is bothersome and can be expensive. However, if you have handguns with over 10 round magazines you cannot have those magazines in an assembled state in CA. You can have them disassembled though. Stupid, right? In order to use your pistol you will need to acquire a 10 round magazine for it. These are available for most popular pistols but not all... do your homework. Bringing an assembled hi-cap mag (over 10 rounds) into the state or assembling one while here is a FELONY CHARGE. I know, stupid right? As long as you don't have any pistols with forward grips or threaded muzzles, you are otherwise pretty much in the clear.

Rifles - This is where it gets complicated. There is a flow chart on this site that helps make it a whole heckuva lot easier. The reason it's complicated is because the legislature tried every way they could to make "evil" AR and AK platform guns illegal, but got swatted with some court rulings and accidentally (?) left some loopholes. A CA gun owner wishing to own a military pattern rifle can do so only by playing the legal equivalent of a game of Twister with their gun's configuration. In a nutshell:

Lower receiver cannot be banned by name - there is a list. You can not bring one of these into the state AT ALL. FELONY CHARGE.

Bullet Button - a device that makes it take longer to swap magazines by requiring you to use a tool (a bullet qualifies as a "tool") to depress a recessed catch which releases the magazine. Always install this feature first on a gun before any evil feature (such as pistol grip) is added.

Featureless - If you remove anything that qualifies as an "evil" feature from the rifle, it magically ceases to be an "assault weapon" and becomes just another semi-auto rifle. I know, stupid right? This leads to some pretty weird looking guns but they're legal and they still go bang. These do NOT require the bullet button in order to be legal.

Magazines - a rifle altered with a bullet button can never contain a magazine that holds over 10 rounds. FELONY CHARGE. Same capacity rule applies to rifle magazines as for pistol magazines. CAVEAT: you can obtain magazine blocks for most military pattern rifle magazines, which limit the capacity of the magazine to 10 rounds. The block must be installed "permanently" although there is debate on what qualifies as permanent. Epoxy or a rivet are generally considered "permanent" enough. Again, as with pistols, you can disassemble the magazines and keep them disassembled while in CA, or purchase special 10 round magazines for your rifles.

NFA items - just don't m'kay? (silencers, short barrels, FA, etc)

Special notes: SKS rifles with detachable magazines or grenade launchers. Nope, not here. You can have the GL decommissioned by welding or soldering a sleeve over it, or having it replaced with a muzzle brake. (not a flash hider) I know, stupid right? Also Taurus Judge - problematic, some consider this a short barreled shotgun - I don't want to be the test case, do you?

I think those cover the main things that someone new to our fair state would want to know before moving here. There are some areas where you can get a permit, and some where you can't - it's on a county-by-county basis at the sheriff's discretion. If that matters to you, see if you can arrange to live in one of the counties that issues.

Hope that helps. Please do check the flowcharts and other resources on this site. I've simplified somewhat in the interest of trying to hit the main points. Yes, some of it is complex. Being a lawful gun owner here is not an easy thing, and the law enforcement officers take their duties in this regard QUITE seriously. Better safe than sorry, m'kay?

Good luck with the move!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, I just re-read my post above and am already finding a lot of stuff I forgot to mention. Pistols with mags outside the grip (forward), folding rifles if they can be fired from folded position, special cases like Kel-Tec Sub 2000 which can be made to work with it's own special BB plus a buttstock extension... really, please do get into the meat of the documents here. It's not going to be quick or easy, I know. It's just part of the overhead of living in this state. You can do it if you take the time and are careful and a little bit determined about it.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 PM

Bruss01 did a really good writeup. But that's just a quick summary.

Perhaps for the time being, OP, you can just post up a list of the stuff you have and the helpful people hare can just say "yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no...".

Also, keep in mind, that just because something, as configured in TX might be illegal in CA... doesn't mean you can't make an easy, almost benign, modification to make it CA legal.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the heads up Bruss01! A great introduction. I took a look at the flow chart earlier and thought "what a fustercluck". I've pretty much lived my adult life in the southern states like Texas and Florida and never had to worry much about configurations.

I lived in California for a bit when I was younger. Half my family's from the Sacramento area. I think it's a great state that's had a run of bad luck lately. John Wayne, Ronald Reagan, and Charlton Heston all called it home. Hopefully those types can take it back one day.

I guess my Mossberg with the heatshield and Knox collapsible stock is pretty much considered a tool of the devil by California officials then?

Thanks a bunch, you've given me a lot to consider. Maybe I'll see everyone at a shoot sometime. If I end up having anything left that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post

First, handguns. Buy pretty much whatever you want before you get here... snip....

Good luck with the move!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shy 7th View Post
Bruss01 did a really good writeup. But that's just a quick summary.

Perhaps for the time being, OP, you can just post up a list of the stuff you have and the helpful people hare can just say "yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no...".

Also, keep in mind, that just because something, as configured in TX might be illegal in CA... doesn't mean you can't make an easy, almost benign, modification to make it CA legal.
Thanks for the suggestions, Shy. I'd hate to post a shopping list for someone. Heck, I can't even remember everything I have. I've been here for three years and haven't seen any of them.

BTW, I might have a .357 lever action Winchester 73 copy made by Uberti I believe. I have two 45 colt peacemakers so it might be a 45 long as well, but I'll check when I get back in town. Those guns might be the only thing legal I have!

Later...
Old 03-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hey man, I've got a Mossy 590 with heat shield, bayonet mount, Streamlight mounted up front and a Mesa Tactical 6-round side-saddle. Plenty of folks think it looks "evil" but it's all fine by Golden State rules!

You can have plenty of effective self-defense and home-defense weaponry here... you just have to dance to the beat and not put a foot wrong.

Good luck and welcome to our sunny coast!
Old 03-29-2013, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Welcome to to the US and California! Since you are from the UK, do you have any pull or influence with others from the UK? Is so, please ask piers morgan to leave the country! Hahaha😂.

Really, post a list of stuff you want to bring, and many will respond with affirm/neg regarding what you can bring to California.
Old 03-29-2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Hey man, I've got a Mossy 590 with heat shield, bayonet mount, Streamlight mounted up front and a Mesa Tactical 6-round side-saddle. Plenty of folks think it looks "evil" but it's all fine by Golden State rules!

You can have plenty of effective self-defense and home-defense weaponry here... you just have to dance to the beat and not put a foot wrong.

Good luck and welcome to our sunny coast!
I checked again and it seems it's the semi-automatic shotguns that are allowed only one "evil" feature. The heatshield and Knox stock would not fly on a Semi, but are ok on a pump. Well, I guess I get to keep one toy...

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2013, 4:17 PM

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to getting back to the good old U S of A.
You might want to check your map. The USA starts just east of CA.
Old 03-29-2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Welcome to to the US and California! Since you are from the UK, do you have any pull or influence with others from the UK? Is so, please ask piers morgan to leave the country! Hahaha��.

Really, post a list of stuff you want to bring, and many will respond with affirm/neg regarding what you can bring to California.
I'll post a list of questionable weapons I have as soon as I get to Texas and have a look in the safe.

As far as Piers Morgan goes, the general feeling over here seems to be "he's your problem now, you can keep him!" I guess they feel they gotta get a little revenge for that 1776 thing whenever they can..
Old 03-29-2013, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
You might want to check your map. The USA starts just east of CA.
California is still a great state, it's just under enemy occupation at the present time.
Old 03-29-2013, 5:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

First, handguns. Buy pretty much whatever you want before you get here... moving in with most pistols is no sweat, but acquiring them after here is bothersome and can be expensive. However, if you have handguns with over 10 round magazines you cannot have those magazines in an assembled state in CA. You can have them disassembled though. Stupid, right? In order to use your pistol you will need to acquire a 10 round magazine for it. These are available for most popular pistols but not all... do your homework. Bringing an assembled hi-cap mag (over 10 rounds) into the state or assembling one while here is a FELONY CHARGE. I know, stupid right? As long as you don't have any pistols with forward grips or threaded muzzles, you are otherwise pretty much in the clear.

Rifles - This is where it gets complicated. There is a flow chart on this site that helps make it a whole heckuva lot easier. The reason it's complicated is because the legislature tried every way they could to make "evil" AR and AK platform guns illegal, but got swatted with some court rulings and accidentally (?) left some loopholes. A CA gun owner wishing to own a military pattern rifle can do so only by playing the legal equivalent of a game of Twister with their gun's configuration. In a nutshell:

Lower receiver cannot be banned by name - there is a list. You can not bring one of these into the state AT ALL. FELONY CHARGE.

Bullet Button - a device that makes it take longer to swap magazines by requiring you to use a tool (a bullet qualifies as a "tool") to depress a recessed catch which releases the magazine. Always install this feature first on a gun before any evil feature (such as pistol grip) is added.

Featureless - If you remove anything that qualifies as an "evil" feature from the rifle, it magically ceases to be an "assault weapon" and becomes just another semi-auto rifle. I know, stupid right? This leads to some pretty weird looking guns but they're legal and they still go bang. These do NOT require the bullet button in order to be legal.

Magazines - a rifle altered with a bullet button can never contain a magazine that holds over 10 rounds. FELONY CHARGE. Same capacity rule applies to rifle magazines as for pistol magazines. CAVEAT: you can obtain magazine blocks for most military pattern rifle magazines, which limit the capacity of the magazine to 10 rounds. The block must be installed "permanently" although there is debate on what qualifies as permanent. Epoxy or a rivet are generally considered "permanent" enough. Again, as with pistols, you can disassemble the magazines and keep them disassembled while in CA, or purchase special 10 round magazines for your rifles.

NFA items - just don't m'kay? (silencers, short barrels, FA, etc)

Special notes: SKS rifles with detachable magazines or grenade launchers. Nope, not here. You can have the GL decommissioned by welding or soldering a sleeve over it, or having it replaced with a muzzle brake. (not a flash hider) I know, stupid right? Also Taurus Judge - problematic, some consider this a short barreled shotgun - I don't want to be the test case, do you?

I think those cover the main things that someone new to our fair state would want to know before moving here. There are some areas where you can get a permit, and some where you can't - it's on a county-by-county basis at the sheriff's discretion. If that matters to you, see if you can arrange to live in one of the counties that issues.

Hope that helps. Please do check the flowcharts and other resources on this site. I've simplified somewhat in the interest of trying to hit the main points. Yes, some of it is complex. Being a lawful gun owner here is not an easy thing, and the law enforcement officers take their duties in this regard QUITE seriously. Better safe than sorry, m'kay?

Good luck with the move!
What he said.

"My pimpin' is on the loose! All the freak has to do is latch on like the caboose." Mr. Whitefolks

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"Your government's the gangster, so cut the crap!!!" Chuck D.
Old 03-29-2013, 5:49 PM

Stay in Texas.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM

Just curious what base are you at in UK? I've been looking at some civilian jobs over there is why I ask.
I pledge allegiance to the Eagle with the MP5 of the United Police States of America, and to the fallen Republic which once stood, the New World Order under our new overlords, divided, with tyranny and injustice for all.
Enthusiast
Old 03-30-2013, 12:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'll post a list of questionable weapons I have as soon as I get to Texas and have a look in the safe.

As far as Piers Morgan goes, the general feeling over here seems to be "he's your problem now, you can keep him!" I guess they feel they gotta get a little revenge for that 1776 thing whenever they can..

Yeah, I figured they're still a little pissed about that. Geez, it's been 200+ years, get over it already!
Old 03-30-2013, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftop Voter View Post
Just curious what base are you at in UK? I've been looking at some civilian jobs over there is why I ask.
I'm at RAF Lakenheath. I don't know what your specialty is, but there's not much in the way of jobs unless you're a contractor. People who work for the government are getting ready to be furloughed so there will be nothing there for sure.

The only job that's hot anywhere in the government is CyberSecurity. In which case they'll send you a suitcase full of money and a date with a girl of your choosing. They're not looking for people that IT degrees who think they're hackers. They're looking for the real deal and they know them when they see them. Or don't see them I should say....
Old 03-30-2013, 8:47 AM

And whats wrong with fish & chips???????