Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 PM

Default Congressman Ami Bera (D)

We have a new congressional rep in California's 7th district, and he's having a town hall forum this weekend. He hasn't specifically outlined a position on gun control, but if he's like most democrats in California, then it shouldn't be a surprise.

Still, I believe the best way to stick up for the 2nd amendment rights is to first and foremost exercise your 1st amendments, so I plan on attending Mr. Bera's forum.

Any suggestions on how to go about vocalizing my concerns on the federal government's gross infringement of gun owners' rights and why Mr. Bera should vote down any more gun control legislation?

-Ronald Reagan
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Default Town hall meeting.

Could you post the time, date and location, that would help other members see if they could show.

It would be best if at least 3 to 4 people were there so each person could ask a "loaded" question. The real thing that needs to be figured out are what are his "core values".

That being said, if you go up and start of with about "my rights" and what part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand, you may stand out in the wrong way.

You may not get the Congressman to agree with you, but you may pick up allies from the audience if you don't allienate people.

Since he is a Dem, I would probably ask the following question since many "Dems" are out of sync with their own base on "Marijuana".

The people of California voted for medical marijuana and probably will vote for legalization within the next 4 years.

70 percent plus of Californians support medical marijuana and the numbers supporting outright legalization right now is probably just over 50 percent.

Do you support the will of the people or will you support the Federal government's continued rebellion against the will of the people of this state?

Of course he will cite Federal supremacy to which I would make a comment that while the Feds may have supremacy over the states, the People have supremacy over the Feds because if they don't, then our whole system of the government operating under the consent of the governed no longer exists and our system of ordered liberty is gone.

Another question I would love to see him answer is does he agree with Republican Senator Rand Paul that Drones that are being flown over US territory should not be used to assassinate US citizens because the Obama administration doesn't want to answer this question.

Last question would be on guns, but at this point you will have Dems in the room spinning.

Aurora, Columbine, Norway and Sandyhook involved crazed, but highly intelligent sociopaths who plotted and planned to commit mass murder.

As a response to the bloodshed, some are calling for banning semi-auto rifles and cutting standard magazine capacities on the most common guns from 15 plus down to 10.

Let's say we not only got a ban passed, but that we even collected all the guns and magazines that are owned by law abiding Americans, exactly how would you stop the creation of a Black Market that would either smuggle in guns or domestically manufacture them using 3D printing and CNC machine technologies?

Nicki
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Banned

Id like to attend but I cant find a place and time either. Would you mind giving the pertinent details?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 AM

Thanks for your advice; the congressman's website is http://bera.house.gov/

And he'll be holding a town hall forum this Saturday March 9th from 12-1pm at:
Franklin Community Library
10055 Franklin High Rd.
Elk Grove, CA 95758

Basically, I'm not looking to get into a big debate or grand-stand. If anything, I want to persuade people at the event that it's in everyone's interest to preserve 2A rights. There's nothing solved by criminalizing law-abiding gun owners. It won't reduce violent crime and just leaves ordinary citizens less safe. The common thread with the Newton, Colorado, and Tuscon shootings is that all the perps had mental health issues, but seeing as how our government lets sociopaths roam free, law-abiding citizens end up suffering the consequence. So any 'assault weapons ban' is just an unconstitutional smoke-screen/power grab that doesn't even resolve the issue at hand - mental illness. I would add that leaving defenseless women and children at school without any security in place is downright stupid too.

-Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Ferox; 03-08-2013 at 12:19 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox View Post
We have a new congressional rep in California's 7th district, and he's having a town hall forum this weekend. He hasn't specifically outlined a position on gun control, but if he's like most democrats in California, then it shouldn't be a surprise.

Still, I believe the best way to stick up for the 2nd amendment rights is to first and foremost exercise your 1st amendments, so I plan on attending Mr. Bera's forum.

Any suggestions on how to go about vocalizing my concerns on the federal government's gross infringement of gun owners' rights and why Mr. Bera should vote down any more gun control legislation?
Spy!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki View Post
Could you post the time, date and location, that would help other members see if they could show.

It would be best if at least 3 to 4 people were there so each person could ask a "loaded" question. The real thing that needs to be figured out are what are his "core values".

That being said, if you go up and start of with about "my rights" and what part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand, you may stand out in the wrong way.

You may not get the Congressman to agree with you, but you may pick up allies from the audience if you don't allienate people.

Since he is a Dem, I would probably ask the following question since many "Dems" are out of sync with their own base on "Marijuana".

The people of California voted for medical marijuana and probably will vote for legalization within the next 4 years.

70 percent plus of Californians support medical marijuana and the numbers supporting outright legalization right now is probably just over 50 percent.

Do you support the will of the people or will you support the Federal government's continued rebellion against the will of the people of this state?

Of course he will cite Federal supremacy to which I would make a comment that while the Feds may have supremacy over the states, the People have supremacy over the Feds because if they don't, then our whole system of the government operating under the consent of the governed no longer exists and our system of ordered liberty is gone.

Another question I would love to see him answer is does he agree with Republican Senator Rand Paul that Drones that are being flown over US territory should not be used to assassinate US citizens because the Obama administration doesn't want to answer this question.

Last question would be on guns, but at this point you will have Dems in the room spinning.

Aurora, Columbine, Norway and Sandyhook involved crazed, but highly intelligent sociopaths who plotted and planned to commit mass murder.

As a response to the bloodshed, some are calling for banning semi-auto rifles and cutting standard magazine capacities on the most common guns from 15 plus down to 10.

Let's say we not only got a ban passed, but that we even collected all the guns and magazines that are owned by law abiding Americans, exactly how would you stop the creation of a Black Market that would either smuggle in guns or domestically manufacture them using 3D printing and CNC machine technologies?

Nicki
THIS

When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic110666_7.gif
Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Well, I went to Mr. Bera's town hall forum today, and I wasn't particularly satisfied with his response. I basically said that in order to prevent more mass shootings like the one in Newton, CT that we need to address the mental health problem in this country, and the problem is not with law-abiding gun owners.

He basically tried to play both sides of the issue, saying he didn't think a gun control law would have prevented the massacre in Newton, but he still supported universal background checks and capping high capacity magazines.

So there you go...that pretty much means he's on board with Senator Diane Feinstein's gun bill. I wish there'd been more Calgun folks there to speak out on this besides myself.

-Ronald Reagan
Old 03-09-2013, 1:34 PM

Mr. Bera held a rally at UC Davis during his campaigning for office last year (this was before the Newtown tragedy, mind you). Guess who also spoke at his rally and endorsed him? Bill Clinton. From what I recall, Mr. Bera didn't bring up any gun control issues during this talk, but it did take up a pretty decent chunk of Clinton's speech.

That being said, I don't trust him one bit, and I also assume he's on board with Feinstein and the rest of her posse.
Old 03-09-2013, 2:05 PM

Default movement

I think if we built up a critical mass at these town hall forums, we could persuade him to an 'absentee vote' on gun legislation at best...I know people want to throw in the towel, but even the smallest of victories for gun owners' count...is anyone on board? It's going to take more than just money and lobbyist groups to stem this tide of bad legislation

-Ronald Reagan
Old 03-09-2013, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Well, I went to Mr. Bera's town hall forum today, and I wasn't particularly satisfied with his response. I basically said that in order to prevent more mass shootings like the one in Newton, CT that we need to address the mental health problem in this country, and the problem is not with law-abiding gun owners.

He basically tried to play both sides of the issue, saying he didn't think a gun control law would have prevented the massacre in Newton, but he still supported universal background checks and capping high capacity magazines.

So there you go...that pretty much means he's on board with Senator Diane Feinstein's gun bill. I wish there'd been more Calgun folks there to speak out on this besides myself.
I wanted to go, but some income producing work got in the way, and that's been in as short supply for me as is rights respecting politicians. I'm glad someone of us was there. How many people came?
Old 03-09-2013, 2:54 PM

Default how many?

I was the only one there that raised 2A issues. Altogether, there was about 20 folks, most of which were concerned with funding for schools, healthcare, etc.

Here's the point though, Bera narrowly won the 7th Congressional District 51% to Dan Lungren's (R) 49% last year, so he's treading careful waters and SLOWLY laying out his plans.

If we can build a critical mass of folks concerned about 2A rights at his 'town hall' events, then I think he'd abstain from votes on gun leg, but if I'm the only one there raising concerns, then he probably votes lock-step with Pelosi and Feinstein with their gun-grab

-Ronald Reagan
Old 03-09-2013, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

I would love to have gone, but I just now clicked on this thread. If he has any more and I can get to them, I'll definitely attend. I hope I can find someone to carpool with.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 AM

Please dont bother posting about how "devious" this numnut is by not discussing gun control last fall during the campaign. Anyone who thinks that any democrat from California would not fall in line with the state democrats and the Pelosi house and Fienstein Senate is an azzhat. Please dont embarrass yourself with some stupid post about how he tricked the voters. If its from Ca and has a "D" behind its name its an anti 2nd Amendment vote.

Participating in a gun "buy back" because you believe that the
criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because
you believe that the neighbors have too many kids.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:31 PM

@ Dunnigan: Are you politically active?

-Ronald Reagan
Old 03-10-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
@ Dunnigan: Are you politically active?
Very much so. In both time and financial support to those that support the 2A. I am a one issue political animal. I have no other litmus test. It is my belief that if Ca voters (and national political issue voters)really cherished the 2A as they claim to they would also become one issue voters. Taxes, healthcare, education, abortion, defense, gay marriage, and all the other garbage that people allow to get in the way are nothing if you lose the right to defend yourself. In my view, if a man (or woman) does not think I have the right to defend myself or my family then that tells me ALL I need to know about their character and their likely votes on all the other issues. Think about it, if you cant defend your life -how the hell does any of the other issues really matter?

Im always praying that less people become "politically active" if they dont take the time to really do their homework and understand the candiate and the issues. Our problem in this country now is that we have too many politically active numnuts.

Old 03-10-2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnigan View Post
Very much so. In both time and financial support to those that support the 2A. I am a one issue political animal. I have no other litmus test. It is my belief that if Ca voters (and national political issue voters)really cherished the 2A as they claim to they would also become one issue voters. Taxes, healthcare, education, abortion, defense, gay marriage, and all the other garbage that people allow to get in the way are nothing if you lose the right to defend yourself. In my view, if a man (or woman) does not think I have the right to defend myself or my family then that tells me ALL I need to know about their character and their likely votes on all the other issues. Think about it, if you cant defend your life -how the hell does any of the other issues really matter?.
I'd agree with most of that, with at least one exception, being immigration. It is my belief that immigration overwhelms existing voters, and can be used as a toll to manipulate attitudes and votes. The recent city of LA mayoral vote is an example. LA is a city overrun with foreign born, and the ruling politiburo has managed to make the american native born feel unwelcome and unneccessary, while catering to the foreigner. As a result, the American born voter has grown apathetic and disenfranchised, leaving plenty of foreign born, and ethnic hustler type voters calling the shots. That has affected 2A in that the city wants strongly to restrict firearms, and is very stingy with concealed carry.

Taxes might be a second important issue in that well financed restrictionist-bent governments have money to use against 2A faithful.
Old 03-10-2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyatollahGondola View Post
I'd agree with most of that, with at least one exception, being immigration. It is my belief that immigration overwhelms existing voters, and can be used as a toll to manipulate attitudes and votes. The recent city of LA mayoral vote is an example. LA is a city overrun with foreign born, and the ruling politiburo has managed to make the american native born feel unwelcome and unneccessary, while catering to the foreigner. As a result, the American born voter has grown apathetic and disenfranchised, leaving plenty of foreign born, and ethnic hustler type voters calling the shots. That has affected 2A in that the city wants strongly to restrict firearms, and is very stingy with concealed carry.

Taxes might be a second important issue in that well financed restrictionist-bent governments have money to use against 2A faithful.
Again, immigration and taxes mean nothing if you cant protect yourself on the way to the voting booth or work... Dont lose sight of the forest for the trees...

Old 03-10-2013, 6:13 PM

Whatever the politician's political persuasion, if he or she is my rep, I'm going to let them know what I think. I don't have any use for apathetic naysayers on here, so anyone that's on board with advancing 2A rights, contact me and let's discuss what we can accomplish

-Ronald Reagan
Old 03-10-2013, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Please dont bother posting about how "devious" this numnut is by not discussing gun control last fall during the campaign. Anyone who thinks that any democrat from California would not fall in line with the state democrats and the Pelosi house and Fienstein Senate is an azzhat. Please dont embarrass yourself with some stupid post about how he tricked the voters. If its from Ca and has a "D" behind its name its an anti 2nd Amendment vote.
True ^, but sadly any modern R that comes from CA is a RINO anyways so it doesn't matter.
Old 03-10-2013, 7:35 PM

Smile

Quote:
In no way did I indicate that anyone should believe Mr. Bera nor any of the Dem in our state congress. I merely was trying to relate to the OP by saying that I can understand how this town hall meeting went down. Intel is always good my friend, and the more we have of it, the better.

I've done my share of pro 2A encouragement in my community: passing out flyers during the SB249 fiasco, donating monthly to CGF, and bringing "anti-gun" friends to the range (and succeeding in converting some.) It'd be wise to read in between the lines more.

And OP, donating here: http://www.firearmspolicy.org/ and writing your rep. never hurts.

Last edited by madscientist; 03-10-2013 at 7:54 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Again, immigration and taxes mean nothing if you cant protect yourself on the way to the voting booth or work... Dont lose sight of the forest for the trees...
Immigration and taxes are strategies for the future. Voting 2A in todays elections doesn't address your votes being nullified or overruled by tomorrow's voters.
Old 03-24-2013, 7:25 PM

Ami Bera held a small town hall this afternoon just a few blocks from me.
This guy is another tool of the liberal democrat regime currently in power. The turnout was weak, less than 30 people. I blasted away when he took questions, and he listened, responded, but didn't say much

On gun control, he deflected at every opportunity. he spoke about figuring out how to protect our communities, but wouldn't be specific. One other guy asked if he would vote for feinstein's bill, and to that he would only repeatedly answer that it was hypothetical, and that he needed to see a bill first. The problem with that answer is that he obviously has no desire to influence a gun bill; just vote it up or down. That tells me that he will defer to the democrat machine on guns
Old 03-24-2013, 7:32 PM

But... But... But... We got rid of "gun ban dan" we're ok now right?!?!
Old 03-24-2013, 7:46 PM

Vote him OUT!.....

2Fowl
Old 03-24-2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
As for 2A, we were screwed with him too, but now we're screwed on that and several other issues to boot.
Old 03-24-2013, 8:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Not how it works. We weren't going to be ok immediately either way, so it's a wash in that respect. On the other hand, there was a clear message that a Republican candidate cannot count on gun vote unless he supports and listens to gun owners.

The real test will be if/when there are "top two primary" Democrats facing off in general election, splitting the traditional vote with the gun vote being the swing vote. We won't know for a few years whether we are any better off, but we are not worse off on 2A.
Old 03-25-2013, 8:18 AM

For those of us who live in Bera's district...

He was "run" and financed by Nancy Pelosi - what else do you need to know?

He has consistently refused to answer where he stands on 2A issues - you'll find out only AFTER he votes one way or another. And I would not put it past them to give him a "pass" so as not to make him record a vote that might very well damage him in the upcoming election. The D's screwed Lungren during the last redistricting and made the District more liberal but it is still moderate (at worst). A fiscal conservative who doesn't get too bogged down in distractions can still win in this District. But they will have to be well funded because San Fran Gran Nan will pour millions in to help Bera remain in office.