Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Default Good LGS for reloaders?

Hello, I just took my first step toward reloading (bought Modern Reloading: Second Edition by Richard Lee) and am currently studying it. I had originally ordered a Lee Classic Turret press from midway, but since they're on about a two-month back order, I decided that I should first study up some more and then go about buying the press, so I cancelled my order.

Since I'm a new reloader, I would really like to see the actual equipment first before buying. So - I want to know of a LGS (or three) that cater to reloaders rather than just sheer gun sales in the north OC, southeast LA county areas.

FWIW I bought the book at Fowler Gun Room, and was fairly impressed by their inventory for reloading. However, I had generally avoided going there before I was interested in reloading because their gun prices were quite a bit higher than most other places.

Also - any general reloading advice to a complete newbie would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 AM

Check out Field Time Sports in Westminster off Beach Blvd. and Bolsa. They have the Hornady Classic Press in stock and a couple of Dillon equipment when I went there Friday. Very knowledgeable on reloading. Speak to Dave. Great gun shop.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, ndllana!
Old 03-24-2013, 5:23 PM

The Stockade right up the road from Field Time has a few presses set up that you can look at. I bought my xl650 there about 12 years ago. They stock some Dillon parts as well as dies and caliber conversions. They are a little pricey but they're convenient when you get in a jam. Their whole back room is devoted to handloading. I believe they're related to Fowlers
Old 03-24-2013, 5:41 PM

Fowlers and Stockade are the same owners. Their prices are a little high, but if you consider wait time, and shipping, being able to purchase on the spot sometimes is the better way. Fowlers seems to have most of the stuff you will need most of the time ( except for lately, but then NOBODY has anything right now). They conduct reloading seminars also, you should check it out next time they do one.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'll have to check out Field Time. I haven't been there yet. I know Fowlers and Stockade are owned by the same folks, but as mentioned, haven't been in either store in quite some time until I bought the book the other day.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Talking

Umm, I swore off both stores, until getting involved in reloading..

Bought powder, 2 books (Lee and Hornady), shell boxes...

Tried buying a scale from them, was too expensive, tried 2 head shops - too expensive and poorly designed..

Amazon is your friend for reloading tools... Gunbroker is your expensive friend for boolits, primers and such.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Phillips Wholesale > *

Stockade, Fowlers, and Field Time give discounts to LEO/MIL if you're qualified (or bring a friend who is). I have found that buying a few things locally beats any internet price with the discount factored in.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.