Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-24-2013, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Default Case Prep Questions

I just finished sorting and tumbling some 7.62 x 39mm brass I got yesterday, and I've got some questions.

#1. I've got dozens of brass cases that have been tumbled, but still appear to be permanently discolored. Not just 7.62 x 39mm, but also 9mm and .223/5.56mm.

I need to let some of it tumble longer/again, but is there any concern if the cases do not return to bright and shiny brass? Will discoloration impact the integrity or longevity of the brass? Any tips for "removing" the discoloration?

#2. I ran my freshly tumbled 7.62 x 39mm brass through my universal Lee decapping die (to deprime) and I noticed when I finished, before cleaning out the "spent primer catch", that there were multiple small primers among the large primers. I immediately further sorted my brass.

I found all headstamps were either Fiocchi or Winchester. Those all had large primer pockets. But then I found some brass with an R-P headstamp, which I found stands for Remington-Peters. But 17 cases had small primer pockets and 13 had large primer pockets.

So, that having been said, should I use small rifle primers for those 17 cases with small primer pockets? Or should I pick up some small rifle Magnum primers to compensate for the smaller primer?

If it makes any difference, these rounds will be used with an AK (NOT an SKS or Mini-30, etc).
Old 03-24-2013, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPlinker View Post
I just finished sorting and tumbling some 7.62 x 39mm brass I got yesterday, and I've got some questions.

#1. I've got dozens of brass cases that have been tumbled, but still appear to be permanently discolored. Not just 7.62 x 39mm, but also 9mm and .223/5.56mm.

I need to let some of it tumble longer/again, but is there any concern if the cases do not return to bright and shiny brass? Will discoloration impact the integrity or longevity of the brass? Any tips for "removing" the discoloration?
Probably not an issue, but post some pics of the brass so we can take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPlinker View Post
#2. I ran my freshly tumbled 7.62 x 39mm brass through my universal Lee decapping die (to deprime) and I noticed when I finished, before cleaning out the "spent primer catch", that there were multiple small primers among the large primers. I immediately further sorted my brass.

I found all headstamps were either Fiocchi or Winchester. Those all had large primer pockets. But then I found some brass with an R-P headstamp, which I found stands for Remington-Peters. But 17 cases had small primer pockets and 13 had large primer pockets.

So, that having been said, should I use small rifle primers for those 17 cases with small primer pockets? Or should I pick up some small rifle Magnum primers to compensate for the smaller primer?

If it makes any difference, these rounds will be used with an AK (NOT an SKS or Mini-30, etc).
No experience loading this round, so I'll let others comment. These are all brass case, right?
Old 03-24-2013, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNOS67
Probably not an issue, but post some pics of the brass so we can take a look.
I will try and get some pictures as I continue to process brass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNOS67
No experience loading this round, so I'll let others comment. These are all brass case, right?
Yes. This is ALL brass, NOT steel cased. It's also Boxer primer, but I did find 1 Berdan primed brass case in the mix. I won't be using it.
Old 03-24-2013, 9:51 PM
Calguns Addict

DEFINITLY not an issue. you don't need to tumble brass at all. tumblers post-date the introduction of brass cartridges.

You can use small rifle or small rifle mag. Just don't expect the same performance if you switch. MAYBE the performance will be the same, but without testing, you wouldn't know. And you might get into trouble if you are running max loads and switch to mags.

Better to just pick (one or the other) and just go for it. OR, pick one (small or large primers) and sell the rest.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Hmmmm Hands
CGN Contributor

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48796
Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 PM
Calguns Addict

You will be fine using small primers mag or reg in the cases. I tend to use mag primers in my loads anyway. I always use mag primers with ball powder. Never had a problem even at max loads and have loaded for many years.