Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-06-2013, 3:33 PM

I was just about to turn in my AZ CCW application. Now the question is, should I still turn it in? I don't think there is a point to anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr_223 View Post
dude, its a pump-action..You can put a live weasel or hollowed d**do on the barrel and it would be legal...
Old 03-06-2013, 4:54 PM
Internet Dictator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootSauce View Post
I was just about to turn in my AZ CCW application. Now the question is, should I still turn it in? I don't think there is a point to anymore
Depends on what permits you have. If you plan to go to New Mexico for example, the AZ permit is still good for that (whereas the Utah and Nevada permits are not). And if you want to go into establishments in AZ that serve alcohol, you need a CCW permit from somebody (no constitutional carry into bars, restaurants, etc)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.

Last edited by chiefcrash; 03-06-2013 at 5:00 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcrash View Post
Depends on what permits you have. If you plan to go to New Mexico for example, the AZ permit is still good for that (whereas the Utah and Nevada permits are not). And if you want to go into establishments in AZ that serve alcohol, you need a CCW permit from somebody...
Have FL and UT, always planned on getting NV (I like to have permits in the states I carry in) but I was going to get an AZ for NV until I could get my NV permit.

I'll probably just end up getting AZ anyway because I'm a sucker for obtaining more LTC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr_223 View Post
dude, its a pump-action..You can put a live weasel or hollowed d**do on the barrel and it would be legal...
Old 03-06-2013, 5:31 PM

tagged
Old 03-06-2013, 6:23 PM

I took my Nevada training with these people: http://www.armedandsafe.com/

Good class, went out in the desert to shoot. Since the class was on a Wednesday, went over to the sheriff's office to file application. All done in one day.

NRA Life Patron Member
SAF Life Member
Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Starting around 2007, there has been a push to reform certain aspects of NV's CCW laws.

They first pushed through the change to make NV honor other state's CCW permits. Those resistant to this allowed it to pass in 2007 with certain restrictions (database access + training equal or greater than NV).

They also pushed to change the live fire qualifications so that you no longer had to qualify with every handgun you wanted to carry. There was resistance to this as well. But, they were able to get parts of it changed in 2009 (created revolver category) and 2011 (created semi-auto firearm & revolver categories). The bill to change it again (no categories, qualify with a handgun and can carry any type of handgun) was introduced this year and is half-way through the legislature (passed the NV Senate, currently in the NV Assembly's Judiciary Committee).

Starting in 2011, they also started pushing constitutional carry and campus carry. Both those bills died in the NV Senate's Judiciary Committee due to the anti-gun committee chairman refusing to let those bills come up for a vote. Fortunately, that anti-gun committee chairman is no longer there and both those bills have been resubmitted this year.

AFAIK...
It appears the current primary focus is to keep reforming the live fire qualification and to get campus carry passed. The powers that be have stated once they get those, all focus would then be on constitutional carry (maybe the 2015 legislative session).

Side note:
The NV legislature is part-time. Meaning they only meet every two years to make/pass new laws and are only paid when they are in session.
Thanks Quiet, all good info and I was aware of the permit changes re: live fire qualification and NV has made some solid improvements here, it was a bit excessive to have to qualify with every handgun you would ever possibly want or need to carry.

So who was the anti-gun committee chairman and where did he go? I also really like your part time legislature and the fact they only meet every other year, wish that was the case here in Kaliforniastan! However my concern is if NV does not get Constitutional Carry this year, we have to wait two more years for another bite at the apple.

I really don't want to get another permit (Nevada) just to add ONE state!
Old 03-07-2013, 2:23 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Daze View Post
Thanks Quiet, all good info and I was aware of the permit changes re: live fire qualification and NV has made some solid improvements here, it was a bit excessive to have to qualify with every handgun you would ever possibly want or need to carry.

So who was the anti-gun committee chairman and where did he go? I also really like your part time legislature and the fact they only meet every other year, wish that was the case here in Kaliforniastan! However my concern is if NV does not get Constitutional Carry this year, we have to wait two more years for another bite at the apple.

I really don't want to get another permit (Nevada) just to add ONE state!
I edited the post you quoted, said the NV Senate's Judiciary Committee. Which was wrong, it was the NV Assembly's Judiciary Committee. Sorry about that.

The anti-gun Judiciary committee chairman is Assemblyman William Horne (D-Clark County D34). He was re-elected last year and is currently the Majority Leader for the NV Assembly. He left the Judiciary Committee to chair the Select Committee on the Assembly. He is originally from TX.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-07-2013, 5:03 AM

Dammit. This sucks! I've got two trips to NV planned in the next 60 days and not only can I not carry, but one is to Vegas and one is to Reno, so I can't even do my class on one trip and my app on the other! They could have at least given us enough notice that we could avoid a lapse in coverage!
Billy
Old 03-07-2013, 6:46 AM
Internet Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Daze View Post
You no longer need to qualify with every handgun. There are two "classes" of guns you can get on your permit: revolvers and semiauto. Qualify with 1 semiauto gun, you're good to carry any semiauto gun. Same with revolvers...
Quote:
Quote:
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 03-07-2013, 6:48 AM
Internet Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak View Post
Dammit. This sucks! I've got two trips to NV planned in the next 60 days and not only can I not carry, but one is to Vegas and one is to Reno, so I can't even do my class on one trip and my app on the other! They could have at least given us enough notice that we could avoid a lapse in coverage!
Billy
If you can make it during a weekday, you can do one of the 6am-2pm classes at Armed&Safe in Reno, then do the application at the Sheriff's office same-day...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-07-2013, 8:50 AM

Man this sucks I should get my AZ CCW in the mail very soon and the only reason I got it was to carry in NV....Time to plan a trip to Vegas for the CCW training.
Old 03-07-2013, 2:06 PM

Quote:
You no longer need to qualify with every handgun. There are two "classes" of guns you can get on your permit: revolvers and semiauto. Qualify with 1 semiauto gun, you're good to carry any semiauto gun. Same with revolvers...
Thanks Chief, I know...that's why I used the past tense "was excessive" and this should get even better with the pending NV legislation changing live fire qualification to a single handgun qualification to carry anything legal to carry!
Old 03-07-2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonzin View Post
Well that's just dandy.

Not sure I understand why NV does not accept CA,, we have live fire qual.

The state of California doesn't mandate live-fire, individual issuing agencies may require it.

Last edited by mej16489; 03-07-2013 at 2:25 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 03-07-2013, 2:23 PM

NV doesnt recognize Texas CHL either... But Nevadas is recognized here
Old 03-07-2013, 3:16 PM
Banned

Let's be honest here- Nevadians hate Californians and the Chiefs know that the Cali people are easily getting these AZ permits and skating into Nevada. They want their share of the money pie.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-07-2013, 5:07 PM
CGN Contributor

Taking the Nevada class this Sunday in Reno for $60.
http://www.armedandsafe.com/
Will need to make another trip up to turn in the paperwork. Thought I could do it in Las Vegas when I'm there in two weeks but I found out that it has to be submitted to the Sheriff in the county where the course is taken...
Old 03-09-2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
If you can make it during a weekday, you can do one of the 6am-2pm classes at Armed&Safe in Reno, then do the application at the Sheriff's office same-day...
Good thinking. Thanks for the tip.
Billy

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-09-2013, 9:50 PM
Banned

Just to be clear- a Washoe County CCW will work in Clark County?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertexplore View Post
Just to be clear- a Washoe County CCW will work in Clark County?
The NV CFP issued by any NV Sheriff is good throughout the state of NV.

So, yes. If you get your NV CFP from the Washoe County Sheriff Department, than it will be good in Clark County.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
The NV CFP issued by any NV Sheriff is good throughout the state of NV.

So, yes. If you get your NV CFP from the Washoe County Sheriff Department, than it will be good in Clark County.
Thanks brother.
Old 03-11-2013, 2:04 PM
CGN Contributor

The Nevada CFP is good in all counties throughout the state. The point I was making is:
1) Nevada residents must submit through their county of residence (like CA).
2) Non-residents must submit to the sheriff in the county in which the course was taken. Don't ask me why... $$$
Old 03-11-2013, 2:57 PM

Bummer. At least I got to use it once...

Just putting it out there..
Old 03-11-2013, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

I plan on going to Frontsight for a 4 day defensive handgun class sometime soon. Any way I can tie this to submitting for a NV CCW?

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
I plan on going to Frontsight for a 4 day defensive handgun class sometime soon. Any way I can tie this to submitting for a NV CCW?
Front Sight does a 1 day conceal carry course (it provides training certificates for NV, UT & FL). Which you can add to the end of a 2 day or 4 day handgun course.

The Front Sight CCW course is used to apply in Nye County.

Nye County Sheriff’s Office Headquarters
1520 E. Basin Avenue. Pahrump, NV 89060
CCW application accepted/processed only on Tue-Thu 0800-1500 hours.

Old 03-12-2013, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaction View Post
I took my Nevada training with these people: http://www.armedandsafe.com/

Good class, went out in the desert to shoot. Since the class was on a Wednesday, went over to the sheriff's office to file application. All done in one day.
The Scheels class ends a 5:30. So was the sheriffs office open past 5:30 for applications?

Edit: Nevermind ,, I see they have a 6AM class.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity

Last edited by zonzin; 03-12-2013 at 6:37 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 3:27 PM

As CA residents, can we open carry in NV?

I'm planning on heading up to Reno for my CCW eventually. In the interim, when I am on nature hikes in South Lake can I open carry?

From what I am reading online we can... But figured I would ask the group for confirmation...
Old 03-14-2013, 3:47 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Open carry of loaded firearms is legal for any non-prohibited person.

While open carrying...

It is not legal to carry in prohibited areas (schools, colleges/universities, day care facilities, Gov owned/operated buildings/property).

It is not legal to have loaded rifle/shotgun in/on a vehicle.

Any private property owner can ask you to leave their property for any reason. Failure to do so, can result in a trespassing citation.

Old 03-14-2013, 3:55 PM

^^^ THANK YOU ^^^
Old 03-14-2013, 3:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
No, because California laws apply in Nevada and Nevada laws don't apply to Californians.
Old 03-17-2013, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Hines View Post
No, because California laws apply in Nevada and Nevada laws don't apply to Californians.
Nonsense. This is wrong in every way.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Hines View Post