Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:41 AM

Default Trap vs Skeet vs Sporting Clays

Sorry if this has been covered, but I was unsuccessful finding a answer using the search function.

Some background. Been shooting trap for a couple of years, been using a 70's vintage Wingmaster Trap that was fitted to me. Purchased it used. I am not that good, but can get 22 or 23 most of the time. My friend took me to try Skeet, but I was not very good, and using a pump I was not near quick enough to hit the second shot.

Interested in getting a semi or o/u so that I can do a little better at Skeet. I have up to $2000 to spend. Been looking at used, but no luck so far, and when looking online I am confused that there are variations for Skeet, Trap, and Sporting Clays, which I would also like to try.

What changes do they make to make it better for one over the others? I read here that one made for Sporting Clays in 28" is the best compromise if you want to shoot all three.

Clarification please.

It looks like I should also try to make one of the Skeet clinics here in Norcal, though I will have to travel a bit. From the pictures I saw from one of them, looks like they were all using semi's.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM

In general:

Traditionally/typically:

Trap guns were usually equipped with longer barrels (30"-34") and tend to shoot higher points of impact (60/40 and higher) and are tighter (usually full) choked -

Skeet guns were usually equipped with shorter barrels (26" back in the day), more open chokes -

Sporting guns were/are usually flat(ter) shooting (about 50/50 ish), 30-32" barrels -

As for stocks, you have differences in drop at comb (DAC), style (parallel comb, monte carlo, etc)

With more of today's target guns having adjustable combs, ribs, removable choke tubes, everyone going to longer barrels (30-32") etc - it's a bit more muddled - you could get something that fits you/can be fitted to you, AND get something that shoots to where you like it, and that can handle all three games fairly well.

Now, in terms of using which what for what - (again, depending on shooter preferences/shooting style, etc. ) most people say that a sporting gun will be the most versatile ...

You shoot an 870 trap gun, most of which shoot 60/40 (I don't know if you've patterned your gun). You may adjust easily to a sporting gun's POI (at a 50/50 - 60/40 POI)....oh, if you've got an 870 Trap from the 70s - do you have a fixed Mod, fixed IM, or fixed full? That may explain some additional disadvantage with skeet (as for it being a pump, you'd be surprised how fast one can get with one with a little practice )

Anyways - with 2k to spend, you have a good amount of used (and one or two new) O/Us to look for, as well as most of the good autos available.

places to look at used guns:

Jacuas
Silver Dollar
shotgun world classifieds
trapshooters classifieds

and when/if you can - try before you buy!

Last edited by RayPDA; 03-13-2013 at 1:13 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm no shotgun or clay expert by far but dabble and go every now and again.

IIRCC trap guns have a higher rib on top for the angle or something you shoot.

Not sure what makes a sporting clay gun but I know their rib isn't as extreme but its a little different.

I think you should keep going and try all 3 and see which you enjoy most or which ones you like. Get a feel then go from there when 1 you have a better understanding of what you want to do.. Like.. And get a better badic understanding of the sport and foundation..

Sporting clays is a mock up of hunting to simulate different game more for hunters or variety. Simulating rabbit and birds where each station has 3 to 4 throws from any number of different angles and distances.

I'm not 100% sure what trap and skeet is but I know its more a sport and less based on just hunting game. But the foundation is from a sporting aspect. Completly different than sporting clays but is almost the same angle every time.

Reasoning for different specialized guns being for certain game over another.
Learn what you need then buy.. Don't buy what you think you want then learn what you need.

I thought the same thing that I automatically needed a nice O/U to shoot better and fit in with the guys. I learned that an 870 can hit just as many clays as a O/U can. I think your joggin a bit before you learned to crawl. Stick to singles till you get consistent then move to doubles and in the market for a nicer O/U or auto.

But if you want a nice O/U by all means to for it. But it won't make you a better shooter. But a O/U is more specifically designed and some nice coin to guess which you want. Again just take a hit learn the sport and your style and get a little better and read on shot guns and find out which best fits you than taking a guess and hoping.

Again that wingmaster is a great shotgun to start with and can do well at all 3 styles and in the right hands do some damage. Only handycap really is doubes but that's a higher level of skill you should work up to. I can hardly take out 1 let alone 2 semi or not haha

But I hope this helped some so good luck with your purchase and future in the sport.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 03-13-2013, 1:21 PM

I am also no expert at shooting skeet and sporting clays. But, I shoot with a guy that is very very good at both. He just won his age division in skeet, he is approximately 70 years old. He sold me both of my O/U's for skeet and trap. I had an auto I was using for sporting clays. The nice thing about over understand is the fact you can change your chokes for second shots in sporting clays. I use a older Browning superposed lightening for skeet and five stand. I use my Beretta 3901 for sporting clays and sometimes for skeet. I have a Perazzi MT6 (entry level Perazzi) for trap. Check out your local skeet club boards and talk to some people there. Thatis where I ended up finding my shotguns.......except for the Beretta.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 03-13-2013, 2:28 PM

the stocks for Skeet guns and Sporting Clay guns are the same. The only difference between the two is the barrel length. In the past the favorite length for skeet was 26-in but now is 28-in or 30-in. As for Sporting clays guns, you'll find 30-in, 32-in and 34-in.

As for trap guns, they were made to be shot higher than your point of aim. You're looking at 32-in and/or 34-in. Some models have only 1 barrel (mostly in 34-in).

In your case, I suggest a skeet/sporting clay gun with 30-in barrel and a full set of chokes. That way, you can get to shoot all 3 sports.

For a $2,000 budget, all I can think of now is to get an used Beretta 682. Try call some gunshops to see if they have them. The best places to try are the shotgun ranges.
Old 03-13-2013, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayReys View Post
You shoot an 870 trap gun, most of which shoot 60/40 (I don't know if you've patterned your gun). You may adjust easily to a sporting gun's POI (at a 50/50 - 60/40 POI)....oh, if you've got an 870 Trap from the 70s - do you have a fixed Mod, fixed IM, or fixed full? That may explain some additional disadvantage with skeet (as for it being a pump, you'd be surprised how fast one can get with one with a little practice )
I have been told that it is fixed mod, but not certain.
Old 03-13-2013, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

I'm kind of in the same boat as you OP. I'd like one gun that can get by in the games you mentioned and a hunt here or there.

I'm also a member of a gun club that shoots clay twice a week. With them I have had the experience of shooting quite a few guns and have to say the Browning Citori has been my favorite (The 725 Sporter in particular). Maybe join a club or local range and try some guns out before going either O/U or Auto.

For me, I am looking for a used Citori sporter at 30". Since I shoot more clay, I'd prefer a weightier gun that won't smack me around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 03-13-2013, 3:50 PM

if your looking for a shooting buddy to learn skeet shooting with i more than willing. Im in the same boat as OP as in shooting trap, a little SC and no skeet. Would like to shoot skeet and SC more. Im in modesto btw
Old 03-13-2013, 5:16 PM

Shoot 5-Stand!
Old 03-13-2013, 6:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout323 View Post
Shoot 5-Stand!
Love it!!
Old 03-13-2013, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Since sporting clays includes both trap and skeet shots, I'd get a sporting clays gun and be done with it.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 03-13-2013 at 7:56 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Gary,

The way to do it is go to the range and shoot.....ask to try or rent different guns.

There are dozens of variation of the same model....each with different stocks(ie Strieght comb, raised, droping, semi pisrol grips, palm swells, beaver tail forearms) ribs ( high, low, tapered) ported barrels, adjustable triggers, adjustable comb......

You will go crazy

Take your time....try all the guns you can and you will find the one for YOU.

Just to add to the mess.....don't overlook hunting models. Just because it says "skeet or Sporting" in the model name does not make it the best Skeet or Sporting clays gun for YOU.

Take your time shoot more then you shop.....find what you like and then shop.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra870 View Post
if your looking for a shooting buddy to learn skeet shooting with i more than willing. Im in the same boat as OP as in shooting trap, a little SC and no skeet. Would like to shoot skeet and SC more. Im in modesto btw
I would be interested in going. I mainly shoot trap at Escalon and Manteca, and tried skeet at Linden.

Some have suggested renting, but I am not aware of any places locally that rent. I may be able to ask someone to try theirs, but I normally do not like to ask, especially since some of these shotguns go for big money. Funny though, I offer up my guns if someone shows an interest.

I am not in a big hurry, just have an interest. I shot by BIL's older Browning o/u 20g once. That was a sweet gun, but I am not necessarily stuck on getting a o/u. In the meantime I will continue with my Wingmaster.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Old 03-14-2013, 3:20 PM

I think the nearest place to shoot skeet is rooster ranch but thats a drive for you. I think waterloo has a skeet range too
Old 03-14-2013, 4:59 PM

Linden has clays and skeet. I want to try rooster ranch sometime.
Old 03-16-2013, 4:02 PM

I've been using my girlfriend's Browning O/U (dunno what is exactly, it's one of the last Belgium made ones) and it's got the nice 28" barrel. He's let me loan it out from him indefinitely, no doubt to get me hooked. I indirectly suspect he'd let me keep it if I became his son-in-law but I digress.

Regarding all the remarks about 'try before you buy' I can't even begin to tell you how true this has been. I shoot at YSA (Davis, CA) and the regulars have some rockstars on their shoulders. All of them have been extremely helpful between tips, pointers and test drives. Show them you're a safe, responsible, enthusiastic new shooter and many of them will talk your ear off all day. In the past week I've probably shot more rounds with someone else's shotgun then my own.
Old 03-16-2013, 4:29 PM
Veteran Member

The only guns the guys at my gun club let me borrow are all over $2,000.00 to start. Lol.

Quote:
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 03-17-2013, 9:56 PM

Went to rooster on saturday and got in a round of skeet and a few trap rounds. Skeet is definitely my new favorite game
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Isn't there a place to shoot in Stockton? Stockton sportsmanship club? I also think there might be a place in Turlock.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshnasi View Post
The only guns the guys at my gun club let me borrow are all over $2,000.00 to start. Lol.
Too funny. I have the same problem! I was telling the RSO that I was hot to trot on a Browning Citori XT trap but I wanted to shoot one before I potentially spent that kind of money. I go to fill my vest for a round and he puts a brand new, fired once (round) into my hands and said: If you shoot all 25 then you'll let ME shoot your hat.

Regarding the Stockton question:

http://www.stocktontrapandskeetclub.com

Found that, can't speak to it (never been) but they've got one of the nicer websites for a range.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 AM

Turlock sportsmans club is only trap. Its pretty unorganized for there fridaynight trap shoots and there is always a few people drinking before going to the line
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Default ><

There is also Rooster Ranch in Newman ....Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays

http://roosterranchonline.com/clays.htm

Coyote Valley Sporting Clays (San Jose) and Birds Landing ( Fairfield/ Susuin) rent shotguns

If you want to come to one the NorCal Skeet Clinic and try some different guns, your more than welcome......I'll be posting April clinic dates soon
Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
Too funny. I have the same problem! I was telling the RSO that I was hot to trot on a Browning Citori XT trap but I wanted to shoot one before I potentially spent that kind of money. I go to fill my vest for a round and he puts a brand new, fired once (round) into my hands and said: If you shoot all 25 then you'll let ME shoot your hat.
Pretty close to my experience, a few guys are pushing for me to get the Browning Citori 725 Sporter.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM

I'm in the same boat as OP. Bought a 870 last fall, killed a few ducks with it, and have been shooting clays (launching with a hand thrower out in a field). Would like to get into trap/skeet/sporting clays and look into an over under sometime this year. O want to hit up that North CA clinic when I can.