Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-21-2013, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplusplus View Post

It's been over 25 years for me and it was at the San Diego Navy RTC... But not much has changed.
It's been 51 years for me.
Old 02-21-2013, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Stand out all the time... always move around in formation.. ask questions..
Ask first before you do anything.. keep your voice low at all time..take your time when you get dress...

You should be GTG now...
Old 02-21-2013, 5:00 PM

Oh, and no matter how much something they have you doing doesn't make sense at the time, there is a purpose to it, and you'll eventually get what the purpose was, even if its 3 years later.
Old 02-21-2013, 5:01 PM

just remember why you're going. that's all you need to make it thru.

"There is only one thing we say to death"

| NRA Lifetime Member | CGF Contributor | First AR Build (from 80% up) |
Old 02-21-2013, 5:05 PM

So this is a question for all you old timers, when you went through and came up to Edson Range, did you ever throw Live Grenades? If so, what year was that? I was up there today and found some old Live Grenade bunkers. We didn't throw them in 06' and some of the guys I work with didn't throw them in the early 90's.
Sorry for the little high jack.
Old 02-21-2013, 6:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Move fast, no excuses. Give it your best effort and sound off. Its going to suck no matter what, just deal with it dont drop out.
3 months will seem forever but when graduation comes you will never feel so proud ever except having a baby or something.
I went in 2001, signed up before 9/11.

When Drill instructors say freeze, freeze! stop moving!! even if your damn pants are at your ankles!! if 1 does, you will all pay and you all will pay. Drill Instructor says ZEROOO!! we respond with
"freeze or die" Drill instructor says Eye balls, we said click sir and when he said Ears we say open sir. I went in Oct 22nd to Jan 18 01. We were in Camp Pendleton in Dec. Freezing our asses off by the beach in our skivvies *underwear*. Some dumb *** had to keep moving and putting his pants on after the Drill Instructor was done counting down so we had to strip down to underwear 5 times and start all over.

try to beat my range score of 231 on qual day! I shot a 236 on prequal.
I think our company top score was 239, the range high was 248 i think. Max pts was 250

Good luck!

Last edited by Darklyte27; 02-21-2013 at 6:16 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 6:26 PM

Get used to being hungry, don't suck at drill, chow to chow, bed-time to bed-time, Sunday to Sunday. Try not to think about all the planes full of free people flying out of the airport right next to you, and wishing you were on that plane. Don't have a girlfriend. Know your general orders and rank structure. Be loud - no seriously, louder. LOUDER. Use your God damn diaphragm. I didn't get my voice back until about the time I hit the Fleet. It would drive me crazy listening to all the girly voiced recruits sound off. Write letters, but not too often. Remember, recruit training is a gift to those unlucky enough to have to serve in combat. Treat it accordingly. The **** you learn there could save your life, or one of your brother's. And above all, don't disgrace my beloved Corps.
Old 02-21-2013, 6:38 PM
CGSSA Associate

Most important thing to know about MCRD is to swing by Santana's (MXN nowadays) and pick up a California Burrito and then swing by Alderbertos and get some Carne Asada fries, be careful though because they both are only about 3-5 miles away and thats alot to eat before you check in.
Old 02-21-2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQBMarine View Post
So this is a question for all you old timers, when you went through and came up to Edson Range, did you ever throw Live Grenades? If so, what year was that? I was up there today and found some old Live Grenade bunkers. We didn't throw them in 06' and some of the guys I work with didn't throw them in the early 90's.
We threw them in '90.
Old 02-21-2013, 7:34 PM

I went up there today and one of the pits was completely peppered with shrapnel. I'm sure that was the last time they threw them.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I went up there today and one of the pits was completely peppered with shrapnel. I'm sure that was the last time they threw them.
'93 too
Old 02-22-2013, 9:42 AM

Quote:
'96 too.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I threw them in 94. I think they would shut it down for a while after an accident (perhaps why your friends didn't throw in the early 90s). And I remember my bunker was well peppered.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I still remember the count downs..... 10.....9...8.0
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellts View Post
I still remember the count downs..... 10.....9...8.0
ZEROOOO.....
Old 02-22-2013, 4:06 PM

we threw in 93, I remember because some dumb *** recruit was so nervous he pulled the pin and threw it and dropped the grenade between him and the instructors feet. The instructor tossed it down range before it blew but that was the worst thrashing I ever saw later. Btw op, be sure to have fun and take deep breaths in the gas chamber, its awesome
Old 02-22-2013, 6:02 PM

^^ hahaha ^^
I remember going through there and seeing the NBC guys in flip flops, shorts and t-shirts. I thought this is going to be so easy, bwahahaha boy was I horribly horribly wrong!
Old 02-22-2013, 7:31 PM

Thanks for info guys, greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 AM

Move with speed and intensity.
Old 02-28-2013, 1:18 AM

Just remember, no matter how much stuff sucks at the time, boot camp does end. Give it your all 100 percent of the time, and don't give up. Also, help your fellow recruits, they'll remember later down the road.

The drill instructors are there to make you succeed, nothing they ask you to do is impossible.

Oh, and don't cop an attitude. That will just get you into trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-28-2013, 4:18 PM

From my son, now at MCB Honolulu, Never fall back on a run, eat the vegetarian MRE's...they have better candy and taste better cold...you don't use the heater. Use your 3 phone calls wisely! Do whatever it is, as fast inhumanly possible! The Crucible is easy if you get your teamwork down...help the slower guys, they'll help you later.
I was Navy for 22 years...easy back then!!
Old 02-28-2013, 5:15 PM
CGN Contributor

think of the military as a really hard game. learn the rules and as long as you play by them you will be fine.
Old 02-28-2013, 7:26 PM

speed and intensity.

keywords: eyeballs, ears, zero.

always be loud. very loud. you're goal is to make the DI in your face deaf. learn some knowledge before shipping off.

general orders, history, chain of command.

always be fast. lightning fast.

im sure everyone told you to never volunteer for duties or misc. but do it. the DI's pick potential recruits during the ist on friday before you meet your DI's so try to be at 20pulls, 75+ crunches, and 9min or less 1.5. get that honor grad.

breakdown:

phase1: learning/adjusting to military life. drill, formation, knowledge, etc.
phase2: sitting on bleachers getting cooked while listning to pmi. snapping in. more snapping in. ftx. then qual which goes by fast.
phase3: polishing or pretty much dicking around and seeing what you can get away with. p3 was fun since you watch the p1 recruits fk up and remember yourself at that very place not so long ago

you will hate it while you are there but afterwards, you are going to laugh at all the dumb **** you had to do. just keep in mind that the DI's dont hate you. if anything, they want to make the best of you. if you get your heavy or kill hat constantly giving you ****, it means he likes you.

i got it'd so many times during p1 that they made a mock trophy for my platoon.

p.s. let me know if bum805 is still sharpied in the bathroom at dental, the porta ****ters near edson and 2nd/3rd batt squad bays. boy did i leave my mark doing those random gear guards.
Old 03-01-2013, 8:36 AM

Threw one in 96.

NRA: Life Member
Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 AM

The first month they try to break you down and get you in the routine.
They put everyone on equal terms and drill accountability as a group. One person screws up several or the whole platoon pays for it. These are lessons than transfer to the battlefield. You screw up, someone else can get killed because of it. Got an itch? Moving a hand to scratch can give away your position and cost lives. The DI's keep you on edge and expect you to perform while distracted, dejected and under pressure.

The second month is the field and weapons training. They ease up because they want you to focus on learning and to perform well.

By the third month, you are so used to the routine and any punishment is seen as just training. You encourage each other and help those that may still be struggling to graduate. Hell we volunteer to drop down on the quarterdeck to encourage the "trainee" not to quit and push harder.

Do your best at everything and expect it not to be good enough. Don't take anything personally and roll with the punches.

Last edited by autoduel; 03-01-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 9:00 PM

Boot Camp is the easy part. SOI is the not-so-easy part. See ya when you get here
Old 03-11-2013, 6:02 AM

I will throw this out there to prevent breaking down and crying if they mention you mother, family brother, girlfriend/wife they don't know them so don't take it personally... they are just trying to get under your skin, take everything that they say in but at the same time just brush the negative stuff off your shoulders. Keep a positive attitude and those 3 months will fly by!
Old 03-15-2013, 2:27 PM

All good advice, here's some other tidbits.

Don't volunteer for anything, esp. if you don't know what you're volunteering for.

If you ask for care packages ie. sweets and baked goods, be sure that whoever is sending them sends enough for your whole platoon and not just you. Your platton mates will appreciate it and you DI(s) might bend you if don't have enough for all.

Scribe duty is good if you can get it, at the least it will get you of field day duties. If you're good with the head scribe or are the head scribe you can pick your firewatch shifts.

If you ever get your choice of firewatch shift I'd choose either the first or the last shifts. The first, you're already dressed and awake so there's no waking up early and having to change back into your cammies. Last shift, you're already dressed, your rack made, teeth brushed when reveille sounds so you avoid the morning rush to get ready.

Go to church every Sunday if you can, even if you're not religious, it gives you a bit of a break and a change in scenery. You can't totally relax but it's probably the most relaxed you'll ever be in your entire time at MCRD except for maybe the night before graduation.

When/if things get down just tell yourself it's only 3 months, it's only months, or however much longer you have to go.

Don't fall behind in anything if you can at all avoid it. Motivate yourself by telling yourself that you're not going to spend 1 day longer than you absolutely have to at MCRD. That's what helped keep me going and kept me from getting droppe, I was not going to get sent to PCP or MCP no matter what.

Study your prac whenever you DIs give you the time to do it. It may not be that interesting if you're not a reader or a history buff but you can get dropped for failing your prac and considering that it's not that hard there's no reason for you to get dropped for something so simple.

One last thing, be prepared to be up all night and all day on your first night at MCRD. You'll get dropped off at night and you'll be up all night and all of the next day playing the hurry up and wait game. You don't get to sleep until the next night so you'll be up for nearly 24 hours straight so be sure not too stay up late at MEPS the night before.

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?"
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff
during the assault on Grenada, 1983