Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Default Any one else have their ccw?

My name is Ashley, im a 21 yr old momma. I just purchased a handgun (should be picking it up today, having issues getting second id proof due to husband has everything in his name) and will begin the long process of obtaining my ccw. I live in San Berghetto and would like to walk my kid around the block without fear. As for the 'good cause' statement what did you put? I know you have to be specific and general self defense isn't a good enough answer.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM

I have mine but I am in Solano County so YMMV. My Good Cause was essentially that I own my own business and travel with my young son out of town for business reasons(we own and show alpacas and travel to shows and other things) and I am not always aware of what kind of area our hotel may be in or familiarity of the area. Also that I am a motorcycle rider and sometimes I take single rides in areas where cell phone coverage is spotty and I want to be able to protect myself if needed should a problem arise.

I don't know about where you are because I am not sure of how stringent your county is but for mine, "self defense" was not going to cut it but also, be aware that having anything related to "feeling unsafe due to previous or recent attack" will get you blocked too if they think that you might be wanting it for revenge. This is what stopped me and my husband from putting anything in our letters regarding the violent attack that nearly killed our son while he was in school. It's a red flag for the Powers That Be. It takes a while(about 5-6mo in our county) and you can't call and check on the progress because that only slows them down. Hopefully someone who lives in your county can chime in. Get really familiar with your gun. Fire it both strong and weak side, supported and unsupported and become really proficient with it. I have two on my permit but my main carry is my XD9 Sub.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:48 PM

In Sacramento, good cause can be simply "To protect myself and my family". Generally, the less said the better.

Your local sheriff probably has info on this on his/her website. You could also check the License to Carry Forum, if you haven't already. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=179

You could also post a thread there, asking for help in getting a CCW in your county.

You might not want to tell anyone that you carry, when you do. No one needs to know that and some members have been assaulted by morons who will jerk up a shirt to expose your handgun (they think that's funny, but it is actually assault).
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 03-09-2013, 8:20 PM

My good cause is that I live alone, and travel long distances by myself. I also put that I would prefer to remain within the letter of the law while doing my travels and feel safe. I obtained my CCW in a three month period which I now find is pretty fast turnaround. At the time it seemed like a long wait. The three month wait would be after I took the course and filed my paperwork.

Good luck with that.
Old 03-09-2013, 8:24 PM

Ditto what BonnieB said about announcing that you carry. People react oddly to the situation. Of course there are times that I do just let my purse innocently "clunk" into something.... There are certain people that deserve fair warning prior to being a total ***
Old 03-10-2013, 9:41 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Tlc....good to see you! been sometime!

you're in Humbolt county.....definitely easier to get a CCW there as in Mendocino County as well.

here in Santa Cruz County? not a chance in shell........

my thoughts though are that if i had a CCW i wouldn't be telling anyone. defeats the purpose of CCW, imo.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 03-10-2013, 9:56 AM

I'm in San Diego County and it's extremely difficult to obtain a CCW here - pretty much impossible.

BK
Old 03-11-2013, 8:35 PM

I don't advertise it... But I don't hide it either. A couple of years ago our local weekly "newspaper" ran a story regarding gun permits and people in our county that have carry permits. They PRINTED everyone's name on the front page of the journal in the shape of a handgun. First, middle and last name. It's public record...

So although I don't announce it to the treetops, I don't bother to hide any aspect either. I'm not ashamed, and not really paranoid... Heck I'm armed.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
In Sacramento, good cause can be simply "To protect myself and my family". Generally, the less said the better.
This is something that I'm wondering as well, I'm waiting to take the course and apply but the good cause is something I've thought about a lot.

I'm posting this in the Ladies Forum rather than the License to Carry for sensitive reasons. I'm sure you'll understand

BonnieB: you mentioned that the less said the better, can you please expand on that?

In 2008 I was raped, as soon as I got a chance found a knife and pepper spray and called 911, I sent him to jail, he got out on good behavior recently but violated his probation so I contacted police and he was sent back again, I'm not sure how long though and honestly I fear that he will be out again. I've received threats from his friends and family(all documented by police) He knows where I live and where I attend school, I also take night classes and am very often by myself.

From other people's experience, do you think it would help or hurt my case to put this as good cause?
Some people have said it might look like I'm looking for a fight knowing the history of harassment.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Watch for PM I am in same county.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexySlayer1248 View Post
This is something that I'm wondering as well, I'm waiting to take the course and apply but the good cause is something I've thought about a lot.

I'm posting this in the Ladies Forum rather than the License to Carry for sensitive reasons. I'm sure you'll understand

BonnieB: you mentioned that the less said the better, can you please expand on that?

From other people's experience, do you think it would help or hurt my case to put this as good cause?
Some people have said it might look like I'm looking for a fight knowing the history of harassment.
To expand, as you asked: Sacramento County Sheriff will approve a good cause letter "To protect myself and my family". That's all. They don't need details and if they do, they'll ask. Don't give them a reason to turn you down because you might be trigger happy about this guy.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM

I would never see a ccw as a tool or license for vengeance but I do inform other females that it can happen to you, even with the proper training(former military) because you are left without the means to defend yourself.

I see a ccw as a form of prevention and protection, I'll never know if having a ccw and merely showing the weapon could have scared him off.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Wish you could one here in Riverside County, near impossible.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM

I live in Del Note County and am currently in the process is getting properly trained and filing the paperwork and taking the class. I was under the impression that once all docs had been reviewed that it may be as little as 6 weeks. Not sure. I do know that's it's taken me 6 months to actually find a carry weapon that I am pleased with and just now waiting to be able to train with it. I'm hoping I can spend a few (10 ish)hours over the next few weeks getting myself familar with my new Kahr CW9. I'm an ok shot and can pick up an XD 40 or an HK 40 and could pull it off right now if I had to. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope I end up overly prepared. I hate being the jackwagon of the group on anything male dominated.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 AM

I'm in Santa Clara county ...
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There's lots of threads about good cause statements in the carry forum, also I think the sunshine initiative has released accepted good cause letters.

I'm in San Mateo county which is a (for the most part) no issue county here in the SF Bay Area. There's 122 people last I checked with a permit and most were retired LEOs.

When inquiring about the permit and how to apply (which isn't clear at all on their website), I was told by repeated sheriffs responding to my phone calls to not bother and not waste my money because I would be declined.

Now the two very important things to consider are:
1. If you never apply, you'll never know.
2. If you do apply and get declined, it may hurt your future chances as they are at the discretion of the local sheriff.

Keep in mind that most people will not try to get a permit. Mostly out of fear for being declined (which is a valid concern and in the majority of cases, it's a legitimate concern for a likely outcome). I was nervous about being declined but decided to try anyway. I'm glad I did.

All counties are different and good cause reasons that are accepted vary from county to county as well. So what worked for me may not work for you.

Best of luck.

edited my line item labeled #2 for clarification of my understanding
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

Last edited by kaligaran; 04-03-2013 at 1:18 PM..
Old 04-06-2013, 2:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have CCW In riverside county and have a friend who just got theirs in SB county. SB has changed their GC to be more than personal protection. You need to tie your GC to something business related. Frequent trips to the bank for your business would probably work. But I don't think SB County is issuing for personal protection reasons anymore. Sorry. Bill Murphy at Firearms Training Assoc runs their CCW class and might have more information for you if you call and ask. They asked me and my wife what our GC was before they would sign us up for their classes, so we wouldn't waste money. If you call they might help you more. Good luck
Old 04-07-2013, 6:03 AM

I live in San Diego County. Although I am unable to obtain a permit here, I have a Nevada permit which allows me to carry legally in many states.
Old 04-14-2013, 6:56 PM

I think you need to do a little more research. San Bernardino county sheriff DOES consider personal protection as a good cause..