Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > O.C. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 6:11 AM
Signal Out of Banned
CGN Contributor

Default Irvine City Council pushing Mayor Choi to re-join MAIG

I just saw this pop up on the Orange County Brady Campaign Chapter Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Orang...r/301504131508

"Why won't Irvine Mayor Steven Choi join Mayors Against Illegal Guns? Join us to ask him at the City Council meeting at about 6 pm ( The meeting starts at 3 pm and our best guess is that it will be 6 pm or later when it will be heard- Agenda item 5.3 One Civic Center Plaza, Irvine 92606"

The Agenda for the meeting tomorrow afternoon, Tuesday 3/12/13, is posted here: http://www.irvinequickrecords.com/si...doctype=Agenda

One of the last items is indeed ex-mayor, current councilmember Larry Agran (D)'s motion to urge current Mayor Steve Choi(R) to re-join the Mayors Against Illegal Guns. Here's the letter he sent to get the matter entered on the agenda.

At the very least, I will be sending a letter to Mayor Choi urging him NOT to re-join. I believe there was a letter sent by another mayor in a city in San Bernardino County several weeks ago stating his reasons why he was not joining, and I intend to take the talking points off of that. Is there anything else we should be doing, like attending this city council meeting in opposition to the Agran machine? (Would appreciate some guidance from someone who knows a lot more of how city politics works here).
Old 03-11-2013, 7:04 AM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsDX View Post

At the very least, I will be sending a letter to Mayor Choi urging him NOT to re-join. I believe there was a letter sent by another mayor in a city in San Bernardino County several weeks ago stating his reasons why he was not joining, and I intend to take the talking points off of that. Is there anything else we should be doing, like attending this city council meeting in opposition to the Agran machine? (Would appreciate some guidance from someone who knows a lot more of how city politics works here).
All of those things are good ideas! We need to let Mayor Choi know, MAIG is anti-gun and anti-freedom.
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 03-11-2013, 9:55 AM
Signal Out of Banned
CGN Contributor

In case anybody is interested, here's something I found written by a police officer urging Mayor Kang (Mayor Choi's immediate predecessor) to resign. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-236355.html

Here's the thread for the Mayor of Rancho Cucamonga resigning:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-236355.html

Are there original letters sent by constituents that resulted in this action?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 PM

I wish I could be there, but work permits otherwise. Keep up the good fight brother!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Yesterday's minutes aren't posted in the archive yet, but this article claims that a gun control resolution was unanimously approved:

Quote:
The most public interest at Tuesday's meeting was reserved for a proposal to adopt gun-control measures in the city. More than 20 members of the public remained in the council chamber past 10 p.m., about seven hours since the meeting's start, to discuss and listen to the issue. Agran, who proposed the original motion, whittled down seven recommendations to two – hiring more school resource officers with Measure BB funds and encouraging Mayor Steven Choi to join Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Several residents urged the council to enact stricter laws, noting that the mayor of what's been dubbed America's safest city should make a symbolic stand against guns. Many cited the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Conn., as an example of the need for more school resource officers. The Police Department has hired one additional officer, though funds from Measure BB won't arrive until July.

But one resident said she wished her daughter had had a gun when the 21-year-old was raped in December.

Ultimately, the council unanimously approved a substitute motion made by Councilwoman Christina Shea with a list of 10 gun-control recommendations slightly different from Agran's proposal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebar
•Adopt gun safety measures. A substitute motion proposed by Christina Shea was proposed.

Approved 5-0
Anyone know what they agreed to?