Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 03-09-2013, 9:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question single-shot exemption ... shipping to CA FFL

Hello everyone, new guy here trying to get some advice....

I purchased a 15-22 pistol via gun broker.
He was the only seller kind enough to go through all the trouble and convert it to a CA compliant ar pistol (bullet button & sled magazine).
Found an FFL who will do the transfer as a single-shot exemption.
All is well and the firearm is now in the FFL's possession.

However while trying to get it drossed, the FFL said that they made a mistake by receiving the firearm as the "letter from ATF was missing".

During the initial arrangements with the FFL, the seller, and myself - there was nothing mentioned about any ATF letters being needed to be in compliance.

So now, we cannot move forward to get the firearm drossed until this letter is produced (faxed, emailed, etc) by the seller.

Can anyone please shed some light on this ordeal, my fellow Calgunners?
Old 03-09-2013, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

I have never heard of ATF letter being needed sounds like some gunstore FUD
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 PM

No such thing, unless he is talking about the CFLC which he needs from the FFL that sent the firearm. That is a CA DOJ requirement, not ATF and can be requested after the fact. Is the receiving FFL suggesting he needs to return the firearm to the shipper ?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Cody, thanks for feedback!

T, thanks for the feedback as well!
The firearm was sent by the seller himself and not through another FFL - which according to the receiving FFL, was fine by them.
The receiving FFL is stating that since they have "mistakenly received it without the letter", all we could do is move forward with the transfer.

So I am waiting till Monday too get the final word from the FFL, as they needed to contact the seller for this supposed required letter.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poru_desu View Post
Cody, thanks for feedback!

T, thanks for the feedback as well!
The firearm was sent by the seller himself and not through another FFL - which according to the receiving FFL, was fine by them.
The receiving FFL is stating that since they have "mistakenly received it without the letter", all we could do is move forward with the transfer.

So I am waiting till Monday too get the final word from the FFL, as they needed to contact the seller for this supposed required letter.
Yep, no CFLC required when coming from a private party to a CA FFL so that eliminates that. I'm going to have to go with FUD at this point.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks again T!

So far FUD = 2.

Any other Calgunners who would care to confirm if this ordeal is a bunch of FUD or some truth? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-2013, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

As said, most likely it is the CFLC letter and only FFLs are required to include it. Non-FFLs can not generate the letter.

Perhaps they don't realize that it was from a private party.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-10-2013, 2:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
As said, most likely it is the CFLC letter and only FFLs are required to include it. Non-FFLs can not generate the letter.

Perhaps they don't realize that it was from a private party.

Hey Kemasa, thanks for the feedback.
So pretty much FUD then right?
If it was from private party to FFL, then all they would need is a copy of the private party's DL given that the firearm being sold is in compliance!?!?
Old 03-10-2013, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poru_desu View Post
Hey Kemasa, thanks for the feedback.
You are welcome.

Quote:
So pretty much FUD then right?
Based on what you said, yes. Since I have not heard both sides, I can not say that it is 100% since there could be something which got lost in the communication.

Quote:
If it was from private party to FFL, then all they would need is a copy of the private party's DL given that the firearm being sold is in compliance!?!?
Actually, the FFL does no need a copy of the shipper's ID/DL, but many FFLs have a policy which requires it so that they know where it came from. There is no legal requirement, but then again there is no legal requirement that a FFL be willing to receive a firearm from a non-FFL.

As long as the firearm is CA legal to transfer, it can be transferred. The FFL could hold it up if they did not have what they require for the transfer, such as a copy of the sender's ID, but when it comes from a non-FFL, the is no way a CFLC letter can be included as only FFLs can generate the letter.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-10-2013, 3:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I truly appreciate your detailed explanation Kemasa, thank you very much again!

So far, 3x

Any other fellow Calgunners willing to weight in, would be greatly appreciated!