Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-02-2013, 3:44 PM

Funny....I just found some Eley team that runs well at 100 yds. in my MkII bv. It also seems to like sk std +, rws r50, and really likes midas+ and Eley tenex (can't afford it). It kind of sucks because even the "good" ammo throws off every once in awhile. I haven't tried weighing or measuring rim thickness, but some say its the way to go. I don't think I'm that into it.
Old 03-02-2013, 4:42 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtonhouse View Post
I haven't tried weighing or measuring rim thickness, but some say its the way to go. I don't think I'm that into it.
Been there, done that and didn't seem to make any difference in my groups and it takes a long time to sort ammo that way. Better to just buy the good ammo and forget it, at least that's the lesson I learned. I even got one of those accurized thingys and didn't do squat. Even the lowest end of the match ammo (Wolf and SK) shoots better than I can. Like most things you get what you pay for.
Old 03-02-2013, 4:59 PM

I guess I will keep trying out different velocity and machine numbered eley. I don't do the whole weight and rim thing. It seems like a tremendous amount of work. The wolf match is good but I seem to get that one straggler every few targets. I might have to try some sk.
Old 03-02-2013, 5:31 PM

Wolf,sk,lapua all the same. Just varying degrees of quality control based on the price per round. My mk II will not shoot wolf MT worth beans. Center x lapua is about the same as wolf for twice the price in my rifle. I just have a lot of different ammo now....everything that doesn't pass muster on the mk II gets shot out of the other,.22's. Anyone notice better results from different ammos at different yardages?
Old 03-02-2013, 8:51 PM

I just shot Remington Target Rifle for the 25 yard pistol match and I did notice an improvement, but that's a pistol
Old 03-03-2013, 6:04 AM

I'm going to try to get out today for the 50 yrd scoped. I'm taking my CZ455
Wolf match target 40 gr
Wolf match extra 40 gr
Agulia Super extra 49 gr
Aguila Sniper Sub sonic 60gr
and just for chits and giggles Aguila Super Colibri 20gr
I'll report back on the testing
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Three things:

1. When a round lands right on the ring line - does it score "inside" for the higher value, or does it score "outside" for the lower value?

2. When I downloaded the 50 yd. iron target for March as attached - I got the same target as last month - 2 x 5 shots each. Went ahead and shot them this morning.

3. Why isn't there a pistol match @ 25 and @ 15 yards using the NRA target using both eyes open with pistol between waist and shoulders? (Natural body aim match.)

=8-)
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
Three things:

1. When a round lands right on the ring line - does it score "inside" for the higher value, or does it score "outside" for the lower value?

2. When I downloaded the 50 yd. iron target for March as attached - I got the same target as last month - 2 x 5 shots each. Went ahead and shot them this morning.

3. Why isn't there a pistol match @ 25 and @ 15 yards using the NRA target using both eyes open with pistol between waist and shoulders? (Natural body aim match.)

=8-)
Question 1: If the bullet hole touches the line you score it as the higher value.

Question 2: Yes its the same target but 3 choices of the same target with different colored centers.

Question 3: I cannot post an NRA target for copy purposes, copyright infringement. Finding targets to post for use in the matches have been a challenge for some time now. The iron sight target are the sizes recommended for those distances. I created those targets for our match. If you have targets that can be legally copied feel free to send me an email with the target/s attached and I will consider their use.

Welcome to the match!
Old 03-03-2013, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Here's my submission for March:

Now people...don't laugh...it's just an AR-7 with the default thick plastic front sight that obscures the black portion of target in its entirety.

No expensive ammo either...just regular subsonic. I often had to disrupt the shooting cycle to clear a jam as the AR-7 requires high velocity to work properly. At least my groups have dropped from 8" down to 4" with the subsonic.

Total score = 79

Attachment 210641

=8-)

Last edited by mrrabbit; 12-22-2013 at 10:57 PM..
Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 PM
CGN Contributor

Gonna try the 25 yd irons tomorrow with my Wz-48. Should be interesting as the range I go to is definitely not set up for bench rest shooting so it will be off hand, and that sucker is heavy. Plus I'm a lefty so the bolt is kinda a pain, but the gun is fun and a single shot bolt should force me to concentrate more on each shot. Pics to follow!

Edit: well, I had to leave work early to pick up a "sick" child from school. I say "sick" because he has acted like normal ever since he got home, but his "sore throat" was bad enough when he was at school for them to call me to pick him up. So, SOMEONE is going to bed early tonight, and I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited by peterabbits; 03-04-2013 at 3:20 PM.. Reason: Added new info.
Old 03-05-2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterabbits View Post
Edit: well, I had to leave work early to pick up a "sick" child from school. I say "sick" because he has acted like normal ever since he got home, but his "sore throat" was bad enough when he was at school for them to call me to pick him up. So, SOMEONE is going to bed early tonight, and I'll try again tomorrow.
Bummer! I've been there...but not today!

I made it out to Prado Olympic Shooting Park. Nice range, met some good people, I'll go back.

25y Rifle Bench - 120

50y Rifle Bench - 96

50y Scoped Bench - 165

(I know it looks like 4 shots on the upper right but there's 2 on the 10 ring edge)
bluearmflames, All I can say is - you're the man! It is really hard to keep that damn scope straight - every heartbeat bounces the reticle all over the place. You nailed it!
Old 03-05-2013, 6:53 PM
CGN Contributor

My showing was so poor they don't even deserve pics. I'm going to have to try to bench rest it tomorrow. Definitely helped e cut ack on ammo consumption though.
Old 03-05-2013, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

Double TAP

5.56 vs. 308? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=267737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
You are not a mall ninja. You are a defender of mall ninjas.

Last edited by nrakid88; 03-05-2013 at 8:07 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

I got really lucky and had a very calm breeze on my back all day. Very consistent, cool, pleasant weather. Not sure how well my shooting will stack up to you old timers, but I feel pretty accomplished for my first match!

43 for scoped 100 yard rifle

55 for offhand 25 yard iron sight pistol

112 for 25 yard iron sight rifle- I am really happy with this one!

No coincidence here, I have been saying that I would try this match for about a year... those prize t-shirts were enough to get me off the fence... hopefully I can stay in the running.

Since Im already posting, I think I would have won the 100 yd scoped if I hadn't practiced so much, got my barrel warm and my eyes tired i guess.

And does this seem like a normal group growth? Two five shot groups on the right at 25 yards (made scope adjustment between the two), and the left is a five shot 100 yard group. Maybe its a lot bigger because I am using supersonic ammunition?

Had a great time, may get out again before the month is over!

Quote:
Old 03-06-2013, 6:33 PM

And does this seem like a normal group growth? Two five shot groups on the right at 25 yards (made scope adjustment between the two), and the left is a five shot 100 yard group. Maybe its a lot bigger because I am using supersonic ammunition?

Had a great time, may get out again before the month is over![/QUOTE]

What type rifle?
what type ammo?
A group shot at 25 yds will generally always be smaller than a 100 yard group.
And yes, high velocity ammo is generally not as accurate as subsonic due to the whole sound barrier thing...
Welcome to the matches!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtonhouse View Post

What type rifle?
what type ammo?
And yes, high velocity ammo is generally not as accurate as subsonic due to the whole sound barrier thing...
Welcome to the matches!!![/QUOTE]

If you want to do better consider the following:

1. If your're okay budget wise, purchase match quality ammo. In other words buy the more expensive Standard Velocity and High-Velocity ammo. The more expensive quality ammo alone will make an incredible difference.

CCI Select
CCI Green
CCI Pistol Match
Lapua Center-X

...provided as examples...

2. If you are on a very tight budget, go with SubSonic ammo in the 1025-1050 fps range. Keeping the round just below the sound barrier can turn an 8" group into a 3-4" group.

Aquila SuperExtra 40gr Solid Nose
CCI SubSonic

=8-)
Old 03-06-2013, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Covington, the gun is a early 90's Marlin model 60. Its much more accurate with blazer bulk, but chokes every third round. i was shooting federal bulk for those groups. i need to find a tighter grouping round for it that is reliable, but im lucky to find ANYTHING these days.

Oh well i know ill need a bolt to run with you guys in the long run.
Old 03-06-2013, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
What type rifle?
what type ammo?
Welcome to the matches!!!
If you want to do better consider the following:

1. If your're okay budget wise, purchase match quality ammo. In other words buy the more expensive Standard Velocity and High-Velocity ammo. The more expensive quality ammo alone will make an incredible difference.

CCI Select
CCI Green
CCI Pistol Match

2. If you are on a very tight budget, go with SubSonic ammo in the 1025-1050 fps range. Keeping the round just below the sound barrier can turn an 8" group into a 3-4" group.

Aquila SuperExtra 40gr Solid Nose
CCI SubSonic

3. Then you have quality SubSonic that can be very expensive...but you'll be astonished at the difference it makes.

=8-)[/QUOTE]
Old 03-06-2013, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

Ive got the money for green tag, just cant find it.

Thanks for the advice
Old 03-06-2013, 7:18 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

~nrakid88~
Math and smart people tells us that every little movement you make at the rifle magnifies the further out the distance goes. Add all of the variables starting with the manufacturer and ending when the round hits the paper and it can make a huge difference between targets at 25 and 100 yards.

Good shooting and welcome to the matches!
Old 03-06-2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrakid88 View Post

First, welcome to the match. Your skills will improve if you continue to shoot with us and learn from what others post about their rifles, scopes and ammo choices.

As far as your 25yd versus your 100yd groups those are pretty typical of high velocity ammo. Most .22lr high velocity ammo will be pretty accurate @ 25yds when shot from a rifle in good condition. However it will spread the group at 50yds and really spread at 100yds. What your 100yd target shows is two distinct two shot groups and one flyer. This is typical of lower priced ammo at that distance. Subsonic ammo of match grade quality would produce a tighter group and lessen the chance of any fliers when shot from the same rifle under the same conditions, wind, temperature, etc..

I will use just about any ammo when practicing trigger control, breathing and sight picture and don't expect much precision. Then switch to some match grade ammo for the more serious shooting. Wolf Match Target or SK Std+ are both good starting points for match grade ammo. Unfortunely it is very hard to find these days with the ammo shortage we currently have. Another choice that works well for some is CCI Standard Velocity (Turners Outdoor has it sometimes if you have one in your area). As with most .22 rifles they can be picky on the ammo they like so experiment with a small amount of ammo until you find the one your rifle/pistol prefers then buy a bunch.
Old 03-06-2013, 7:30 PM

Marlin 60 is an accurate gun generally. If and when things get back to normal, consider doing some ammo testing off a bench if you havent already. You might not have found the magic ammo yet. Every. 22 has its preferences. What works well in someone elses model 60 might not give you the same performance.
Old 03-06-2013, 9:18 PM
Veteran Member

Im seeing a lot of great advice already, this is a really welcoming match. i always have fun shooting 22, but ive never felt such a challenge doing so. I've got a small stock of practically every cheaper ammo, and a bit of wolf match extra... so i will have to see what each of my guns like. Though i'm sure you guys will beat me... this month.

Last edited by nrakid88; 03-06-2013 at 9:21 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Im seeing a lot of great advice already, this is a really welcoming match. i always have fun shooting 22, but ive never felt such a challenge doing so. I've got a small stock of practically every cheaper ammo, and a bit of wolf match extra... so i will have to see what each of my guns like. Though i'm sure you guys will beat me... this month.
I started in these matches around 4 years ago and was just about where your are now. Bought a lot of bulk ammo and started shooting. As my skills improved I bought some better ammo and now I occasionally win one or two of the matches. I have learned alot along the way and now enjoy every outing to the range. A great bunch of folks here willing to help and the group of shooters is beginning to grow. An old joke, one hippie met another on the street and asked, "how do I get to Carnegie Hall?" The other hippie answered, "practice man, practice."
Old 03-07-2013, 4:44 PM

Light rain, calm wind today but did shoot the 50yd Iron Sight target. CZ UltraLux and Wolf Match Target ammo. Score 116.

Old 03-07-2013, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Light rain, calm wind today but did shoot the 50yd Iron Sight target. CZ UltraLux and Wolf Match Target ammo. Score 116.

Damn!...that's good!
Old 03-08-2013, 6:08 AM

Here's my first try for the march 15 yrd pistol, benched. Ruger 22/45 Docter red dot CCI mini mags.
A weak 105 with lots of room for improvement.

Old 03-08-2013, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoSD View Post
Here's my first try for the march 15 yrd pistol, benched. Ruger 22/45 Docter red dot CCI mini mags.

looking good fredo, there is plenty of time for more target posting. me and tim are going this weekend to a 50 yard indoor range.
Old 03-08-2013, 7:16 AM

Hi! Where is this range or match at?
Old 03-08-2013, 7:17 AM

Quote:

Nice shooting. Keep at it. I shot my pistola at that target as well. Only problem was that when I finished the target didn't have any holes in it. I think I need more PRACTICE.
Old 03-08-2013, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigkimber View Post
here is this link to the Calguns rimfire matches

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=714932
Old 03-08-2013, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigkimber View Post
Shoot where you like and post up your targets. Loads of fun, follow the link 10X posted all targets and rules are there.
Old 03-08-2013, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando View Post
Damn!...that's good!
No kidding, beat me by four at TWICE the distance. Kudos.

Have you mounted a scope on that Lux? Im wondering if the stock would be too awkward for scoped work, I like the idea of 1 gun for iron and scoped shooting. I have a feeling my .22lr cmmg conversion upper doesn't have what it takes.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2013, 9:16 AM

Quote:
No kidding, beat me by four at TWICE the distance. Kudos.

Have you mounted a scope on that Lux? Im wondering if the stock would be too awkward for scoped work, I like the idea of 1 gun for iron and scoped shooting. I have a feeling my .22lr cmmg conversion upper doesn't have what it takes.
I changed out the stock as the original stock was awkward to use with a scope due to the "hogback" design where the comb of the stock drops dramatically from the grip to the butt end. So I put the rifle in a Boyds Thumbhole Varmint stock which is better suited for scoped shooting. Worked much better than the orignal stock using a scope. I then put the aperture sights on the rifle and it is so accurate with aperture sights I elected to use those on this rifle. Its kind of a pain to change the sights around from scope to apertures. Gotta re-zero both everytime. Also the rifle is actually an UltraLux.

Last edited by Izzy43; 03-08-2013 at 9:19 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

10xhobby and myself are making the trip to a 50 yard indoor range in Grass Valley Saturday AM if there is anyone near us that would like to join. (Northern Cali - Sacramento area-ish)

We have plenty of targets printed and anyone is welcome to join us!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyme View Post
10xhobby and myself are making the trip to a 50 yard indoor range in Grass Valley Saturday AM if there is anyone near us that would like to join. (Northern Cali - Sacramento area-ish)

We have plenty of targets printed and anyone is welcome to join us!
I wish I could but I'm on the wrong end of the State. I was in your area several years ago and I love it. Have fun.

I got out this morning and produced this:
15y Pistol Bench - 106
Old 03-09-2013, 4:09 PM

100yrd scoped total, 55.
Maybe next week I can shoot it again.

Old 03-09-2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
100yrd scoped total, 55.
Maybe next week I can shoot it again.

Looks like the lower right shot broke the line of the 10 ring. 56?
Old 03-09-2013, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Looks like the lower right shot broke the line of the 10 ring. 56?
It's close, when I place a round in the hole it gets into the 10 ring but I wanted to err on the side of caution.
Old 03-09-2013, 6:42 PM

Default March Match Targets

Lazyme and myself went to The Range, a very nice indoor range in Grass Valley, they even had a 50 yard indoor shooting range with 4 lanes. We were able to shoot rifle and pistol. I also shot Lazyme's Savage MKII with iron sights for the first time, what a nice rifle.

Here are my targets that I shot today:
50 yard scoped 182
50yard iron sights 102
15 yard pistol offhand 106

Attachment 212963

Attachment 212964

Attachment 212965

Last edited by 10xhobby; 04-09-2013 at 3:38 PM..