Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-04-2013, 4:46 PM

Default 22 rifle for Appleseed event

So I want to get into rifle shooting.

i don't want to break the bank, hence the .22 approach. I know that timing sucks with prices, but was curious what you think is a cost effective setup to do the Appleseed events?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2013, 4:50 PM

I just read today about that Marlin is introducing a LTR. I know many use a basic Ruger 10/22. I'm going to an Appleseed next weekend with my Winchester 69 and the 10/22 as a backup.
Old 03-04-2013, 5:06 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegs View Post
So I want to get into rifle shooting.

i don't want to break the bank, hence the .22 approach. I know that timing sucks with prices, but was curious what you think is a cost effective setup to do the Appleseed events?

Thanks.
Marlin 795 with Tech Sights and sling, less costly than a 10/22 set-up.
Old 03-04-2013, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

The 2 most popular are the Marlin 795 and the Ruger 10/22. You can use the stock sights or like other's upgrade to the Tech Sights.

Appleseed is pretty open, bring what you have. I believe there are a small number of loaner's available at Appleseed events, but you need to make arrangements with them prior. I would contact them to double check.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Old 03-04-2013, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
And more accurate out of the box too.

I used a Ruger 10/22, but will soon be purchasing the Marlin 795.
Old 03-04-2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando View Post
I just read today about that Marlin is introducing a LTR. I know many use a basic Ruger 10/22. I'm going to an Appleseed next weekend with my Winchester 69 and the 10/22 as a backup.
That's interesting. The Marlin even comes with a certificate to attend an Appleseed.
Old 03-04-2013, 6:38 PM

Savage Mark IIs are nice accurate biginner bolt actions and usually can be had for under $250 depending on model.
Old 03-04-2013, 7:20 PM

Email the director of the appleseed they have loaner guns so you wouldn't need to come out of pocket on a rifle.

Depends on the shooter I used a izhmash and missed my patch by three points and that
was using a toggle bolt. I only had 5 round mags so I needed to reload every time. I threw one of my seated shots and messed up my round count on the last stage 3,2,2,3, instead of 3,3,2,2,I was very upset. The first day I was 5 points away from qualifying with a stock 10/22 though. Any rifle will work unless it is a single shot rifle then not enough time. Use what you have and use your first appleseed to build your fundamentals. Depends on your location they even have rifles you can borrow.
Old 03-04-2013, 7:40 PM

I did the first day of appleseeds with 10/22 few weeks ago, I have moderately modified one with volquartsen hammer/spring kit, archangel target stock, and cheap tasco scope from Walmart! I love the 10/22 because of all the after market options! I believe the marlin have a good selection of aftermarket stuff, but not like the 10/22! I guess to answer your question, if you were to buy a rifle, the only thing I would strongly recommend getting is a GI sling installed. Otherwise any rifle will do
Old 03-04-2013, 7:51 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: West Oakland, low crawling up on Emeryville and Berkeley.

Wow, I *really* like that Marlin. Great idea on there part.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 03-04-2013, 8:51 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

I used an AR-22...but now we're out of the more-affordable category.
That Marlin LTR looks like just the thing.
Old 03-04-2013, 9:34 PM

Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you're just getting into it, pick up a Marlin 795 because you won't even be able to FIND a 10/22 ANYWHERE. And if you do, you won't find magazines.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 PM

I have a marlin and I got my rifleman patch with it on my first event. I would skip the tech sights and go for a cheap scope like a 3x9 simmons. Some say its cheating but I call it my handicap for my blind self.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 PM

I shot my rifleman's score with my 795 w/ tech sights. That rifle is now available as a loaner if you come to event where I am instructing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Bay Basser View Post
...I'm safe and they smell like snuggle bear now.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 PM

Just about any .22LR rifle will work for Appleseed, but it's best to have one with sling swivel studs and adjustable sights. You'll also want to pick up a military style sling because they teach sling supported shooting. Normal hunter's slings won't work because you need to attach them to your arm. The easiest way to get them is probably from the store on the Appleseed site.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Calguns Addict

IMO get a 795, but I am kind of biased lol..

Check out the Marlin 795 MEGA thread part deuce:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=607193
Lots of love for these great little rifles here on CGN
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 03-07-2013, 8:44 AM

The Marlin LTR is awesome -- I would plan on trying to find one or two more magazines for it, and possibly a set of 1.25" swivels for the GI web sling.
In the interest of absolute lowest cost, the factory LTR comes with 1" sling/swivels which are slightly less comfortable than the 1.25 variety.
Old 03-07-2013, 1:29 PM

Thanks all, will look for the Marlin or Savage Mk II.
Old 03-07-2013, 2:41 PM
Calguns Addict

If you are looking to do Appleseed I would sway you away from a bolt action.
While it has been done and could be done with a bolt action or lever action or even a tube fed.

Appleseed is more suited for a magazine fed semiautomatic.

So I would not recommend the Savage MKII if you want to do Appleseed with it some day.

Big 5 and Turners should have the 795, and if not can order one.
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 03-07-2013, 2:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock6.3 View Post
Awesome!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 4:17 PM

Now I just need to find someone selling these, that's the hard part
Old 03-09-2013, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

Marlin 795 LTR. Great platform for an Appleseed. Plus the more 795 LTR's that are sold, the stronger the partnership between marlin and the Appleseed program. It was a long road getting a mfr. to build an Appleseed specific rifle. Marlin came through. There's a huge back story to this coming to fruition, and I'm personally very thankful Marlin stepped up to the plate and made this happen.

Sent from classified location using Tapatalk.
Old 03-09-2013, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
Marlin 795 LTR. Great platform for an Appleseed. Plus the more 795 LTR's that are sold, the stronger the partnership between marlin and the Appleseed program. It was a long road getting a mfr. to build an Appleseed specific rifle. Marlin came through. There's a huge back story to this coming to fruition, and I'm personally very thankful Marlin stepped up to the plate and made this happen.

People here and on other forums are eager to get one of these rifles and attend an Appleseed.

Several have stated they can't find them. Any idea when they will become available? Or Is this just part of the overall gun and ammo run?
Old 03-09-2013, 8:32 AM
Veteran Member

I think your best bet is to get on the email list with Davidson distributors. My limited understanding is Marlin is going to do a rather short first run, test the market viability, then ramp up if the first run sells well (which it should). A fully kitted Appleseed rifle for 300$ should prove to be very popular. You can build your own with a standard 795 and order tech sights and a sling from tech sights website also if you need one sooner. Good luck!, and thx for your interest in Appleseed.

Old 03-09-2013, 9:34 AM

Quote:
I think your best bet is to get on the email list with Davidson distributors. My limited understanding is Marlin is going to do a rather short first run, test the market viability, then ramp up if the first run sells well (which it should). A fully kitted Appleseed rifle for 300$ should prove to be very popular. You can build your own with a standard 795 and order tech sights and a sling from tech sights website also if you need one sooner. Good luck!, and thx for your interest in Appleseed.

Good ideas. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:

Link to Davidson distributors? Thanks.

Heck, make the deal $400 and provide some ammunition, that I cannot find either, which I find strange (hoarders going after plinking rimfire ammo?!)

Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegs View Post
Link to Davidson distributors? Thanks.

Heck, make the deal $400 and provide some ammunition, that I cannot find either, which I find strange (hoarders going after plinking rimfire ammo?!)

Thanks again!
Rifle link ... http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...spx?item=70677

Home link... http://www.galleryofguns.com/default.aspx
Old 03-09-2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
^That^

The marlin 795 with tech sites, sling, and new DIP trigger and guard will run you almost as cheap as a 10/22 (if you can find one.) and likely be more accurate right out of the box.

Last edited by wirerat123; 03-09-2013 at 3:57 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:

Just saw this for the Appleseed rifle on Davidson's Gallery of Guns.

"Due to unprecedented demand,
the Stock Watch feature
has been temporarily suspended."
Old 03-10-2013, 8:58 AM

The Stock Watch feature is down for all products, not just the Marlin 795 LTR.
Old 03-10-2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
The 2 most popular are the Marlin 795 and the Ruger 10/22. .
They may be the MOST popular however, the 10/22 huge margin in popularity and sales, but the 10/22 is last in price and last in accuracy out of the box. The 795 & 597 are arguably a toss up in accuracy, the 597 costs more than the 795, but the 597 by many is considered the best bang for buck, however that too is a matter of preference.

I grew up shooting a Marlin 60, I love that gun. I just getting back into shooting, can't afford to shoot anything bigger than a 22, grin....

After careful research, I decided I wanted an very accurate 22 with out of the box accuracy and very little mods to have a excellent performing 22 semi auto.

Remington 597 by many comparisons has the nudge on accuracy slightly over the 795 and even more over the 10/22 out of the box. Unfortunately the 597 earned a poor reputation for cycling and cartridge jams in it's early days late 90s early 2000s, due to poorly designed magazines. Now on the 3rd version of the magazine, the 597 works as well or better than the most popular 795 or 10/22.

Currently the major complaint about the 597 is a heavy trigger pull. There are several cures, the easiest is a Volquartsen Hammer, however the Volquartsen hammer isn't cheap, but well worth it. While cartridge ejection has been an issue in the past the Volquartsen extractor isn't expensive and resolves any issues that might occur with extraction. Newer 597 do not have that problem.

Volquartsen is a premier after market custom parts maker to improve and accurize 22 rifles, it should be noted, that Volquartsen make NO parts for the Marlin 795! I think that says something...

I recently purchased my 597 (the basic model)at Sportsman's warehouse for $170.

The bull barrel model was selling for $205.

While my 597 was in jail for 10 days, I ordered the Volquartsen Hammer and extractor, I installed the hammer, I'm waiting to see if I really need the extractor. Hammer pull is now about 3lbs (I'm not sure don't have a gauge) it will surprise me when it goes off, that is a good thing. There are other mods that can make the pull adjustable or set for very light, one free mod the others cost.

So far I have put about 1200 rounds through my 597, I have been mainly shooting 10 year old CCI Blazer, some 5 year old CCI Blazer, some new Winchester HP, and 1 100 rnd box of CCI mini mags. I have had one miss feed. ( I think this is due to the extra magazine I purchased which is stiffer/harder getting the 9th & 10 round in when load/charging the magazine. I noticed that if I press down too hard the rim of the cartridge I'm trying to shove in will crease the case of the round under it. Fortunately that magazine has loosened up a little. So far that is the only issue I have had.

I would strongly recommend that you pickup and hold a Rem 597, then immediately pickup a 795, there is NO comparison, the 795 will feel like a kid's gun, it is lighter, smaller and narrower. The 597 feels like a shooter, the forend has a design that feels good in your hand, and it fits nicely into your shoulder, it feels well balanced.

Also consider with the 597 you can choose from 12 models, I only know of the one 795 model though I think it also comes in stainless.

Do yourself a favor and check out the 597.

Last edited by walterwhite; 03-10-2013 at 7:02 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 9:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Note on the Marlin 795. I took mine to an Appleseed (started with tech-sights, then bought a scope that evening. Techsights are actually great, but my eyes aren't good enough to see the tiny targets).

The biggest problem I had with it was magazine changes. The Marlin 795 has a bit of an awkward magazine release when you are using a sling. You have to push the "lever" either UP or BACK, and it's often a two handed affair (for ME anyway). I had a hard time ejecting the mag with one hand, I mean you have to push the lever in one direction while trying to pull the magazine out the opposite direction!
Old 03-10-2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Note on the Marlin 795. I took mine to an Appleseed (started with tech-sights, then bought a scope that evening. Techsights are actually great, but my eyes aren't good enough to see the tiny targets).

The biggest problem I had with it was magazine changes. The Marlin 795 has a bit of an awkward magazine release when you are using a sling. You have to push the "lever" either UP or BACK, and it's often a two handed affair (for ME anyway). I had a hard time ejecting the mag with one hand, I mean you have to push the lever in one direction while trying to pull the magazine out the opposite direction!
The inconvenient mag change is definitely a down side to the 795, but many a Rifleman have overcome this to shoot a 210 or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Bay Basser View Post
...I'm safe and they smell like snuggle bear now.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Ideal is a magazine fed .22 Semi-Auto with a peep sight rear and possibly fiber optic front. Find an oldie but goodie such as a Savage 7 or the equivalent from Remington, Winchester or Mossberg with a peep sight rear and put a Williams fire sight on the front. A Ruger 10-22 will do as well with similar sights.

Ed
Old 03-13-2013, 6:47 AM

Mine:

Old 03-13-2013, 7:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogervzv View Post
Mine:

Where is the gun??
Old 03-13-2013, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogervzv View Post
Mine:

I've got the exact same setup, except my 10/22 is blued. love the hogue stock (ghillie green looks SOOOOO cool) and the tech-sights. I have the TSR 100, the dual aperture flip model.

I'm going to do a couple of appleseeds with my son this summer. right now we're swamped with baseball but that'll end in june. there's a few at Piru this summer.

as for 10/22 accuracy, mine is over 20 years old. with just the stock barrel and trigger it's lights out on steel out to 100 yds. maybe it's not tack driver accuracy, but for practical purposes, it's very accurate. I am not a scope guy and as I get older and my eyes age (used to have "fighter pilot vision") and now need to wear glasses, I've found that the aperture sight is close to as accurate as a scope. sometimes even more so. the only thing a scope, IMO, helps with is low light conditions since it can simply gather more light.

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.