Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM

Default Question re Used Rifle Out of State Dealer to Dealer Transaction

I am working with a new FFL since I moved. He is a good guy, but is new to the business. I think he has gotten a little over his head with this issue that has come up. I'm trying to help him out, as I'd like him to continue to do these sorts of transactions for me.

I have bought a used bolt rifle from an out of state FFLdealer. It is a gun they purchased from some middle man, and they don't have any other history of ownership of the gun. They have sent the gun to my FFL and have sent their FFL information with the gun.

My FFL's issue is that he insists that if he does it as a used gun dealer to dealer transfer, he needs to enter in the previous private party owner's information (he insists that boxes for this info comes up). He thinks that this could be a problem, as he thinks that the previous owner info needs to match up with whatever is in some database -- if the info is not right, the DROS will not go through.

I'm thoroughly confused. I have talked to my previous FFL, who insists that it should just be done as a dealer to dealer transaction. He thinks that my FFL should enter the transferring dealer's information if previous owner information needs to be entered. He thinks that there is no need whatsoever to know anything about any "owners" before that.

My fear is that he is making some error as he goes through the system and it is going to mess the DROS up. I'd appreciate any DETAILED advice on what to do here. General things like "just do a dealer to dealer transaction" won't help -- I think I understand the broad strokes, but I'd like to be able to go back to my FFL and tell him specifics about what needs to be entered where in the process. I think the most helpful stuff would be describing specific values to be entered into different boxes at different steps in the system. It's hard for me because I have never actually used the DROS system.

Again, he thinks that problems could arise because this is a used gun.

I want to follow the law and I don't want to waste the money on a DROS that doesn't go through.

Last edited by Kirk_Ferentz; 03-07-2013 at 1:04 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 8:55 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk_Ferentz View Post
I am working with a new FFL since I moved. He is a good guy, but is new to the business. I think he has gotten a little over his head with this issue that has come up. I'm trying to help him out, as I'd like him to continue to do these sorts of transactions for me.

I have bought a used bolt rifle from an out of state FFLdealer. It is a gun they purchased from some middle man, and they don't have any other history of ownership of the gun. They have sent the gun to my FFL and have sent their FFL information with the gun.

My FFL's issue is that he insists that if he does it as a used gun dealer to dealer transfer, he needs to enter in the previous private party owner's information (he insists that boxes for this info comes up). He thinks that this could be a problem, as he thinks that the previous owner info needs to match up with whatever is in some database -- if the info is not right, the DROS will not go through.

I'm thoroughly confused. I have talked to my previous FFL, who insists that it should just be done as a dealer to dealer transaction. He thinks that my FFL should enter the transferring dealer's information if previous owner information needs to be entered. He thinks that there is no need whatsoever to know anything about any "owners" before that.

My fear is that he is making some error as he goes through the system and it is going to mess the DROS up. I'd appreciate any DETAILED advice on what to do here. General things like "just do a dealer to dealer transaction" won't help -- I think I understand the broad strokes, but I'd like to be able to go back to my FFL and tell him specifics about what needs to be entered where in the process. I think the most helpful stuff would be describing specific values to be entered into different boxes at different steps in the system. It's hard for me because I have never actually used the DROS system.

Again, he thinks that problems could arise because this is a used gun.

I want to follow the law and I don't want to waste the money on a DROS that doesn't go through.
1) In his A&D log it should show as Acquired from the FFL that shipped it to him
2) When he does the DROS he should click the button that says "Long Gun Dealer Sale" to process the DROS. It will not ask for seller information.
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
G+: http://google.com/+UGImportsLLCFremont / FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
New Stock Announced on G+ and Facebook.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Thank you, I will pass that along to him. Hopefully that will get him on the right track. Also, I will be checking out your store.

Last edited by Kirk_Ferentz; 03-08-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 1:43 PM

UGImports is correct. Sounds like your dealer is trying to run it as a PPT. Since it was shipped in from out of the area, it must be run as a Dealer Sale.
Old 03-08-2013, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

A firearm shipped to a firearm is just like any firearm which the FFL receives, new or used, it does not matter. It does not matter if the firearm was ever previously owned by a private party or not. The firearm is logged in the bound book with the record of who sent it to the FFL (either a FFL or a private party), the firearm's previous history does not matter. The DROS is done as a dealer sale. On the handgun DROS, there is a question as to whether it is new or used, but for long guns it does not matter and that is the only difference between a new and used firearm.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-08-2013, 3:58 PM

This all makes a lot more sense to me than what I was hearing from him. Initially, he was talking about how he could run it as a dealer sale, as a "new gun," but if it came up as being owned by someone previously (he thought based on the serial number), that could create problems. That didn't sound right at all to me and started my several week long headache.

I have talked to him now and it sounds like it should go through fine. I hope so because it looks like a great rifle.
Old 03-08-2013, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Dealer sale != new firearm. It is just something that your FFL needs to learn. You might send him here.

Dealer sale is not even accurate since that is what you use for transfers, but CA views that as a sale, except when the retailer is another CA FFL, but you still submit it as a "dealer sale".

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein