Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 03-03-2013, 1:38 PM

Default CFL Letter

Recently was starting paperwork on a gun I got from out of state at an FFL locally, he told me we could not start paperwork until he had the CFL letter. I have seen this letter before in other gun shipments.

I contacted the seller (who has extensive CA knowledge and deals with CA all the time) and he said the AI# was what they needed and that was on the box and on the FFL transfer sheet. It obviously was approved by DOJ for shipment.

Does the receiving FFL need an actual letter or can I just tell him to look at the number?

So annoying!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 PM

Only the number is required. I think most dealers print and include the page with shipments because it is easiest.

I just pulled this directly off a Firearms Shipment Approval from the CFLC site: "This letter is provided as a convenience and does not have to be included in the firearms shipment. However, the recipient of this shipment must have the DOJ Verification Approval Number for their records."

Most firearms I receive from dealers out of state include the letter. Most of my distributors just put the number on the packing list.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby's Tactical View Post
Only the number is required. I think most dealers print and include the page with shipments because it is easiest.
I prefer getting the letter since I have had a FFL claim that lowers were handguns and one FFL who used my CFD number as the number of firearms being shipping.

Quote:
I just pulled this directly off a Firearms Shipment Approval from the CFLC site: "This letter is provided as a convenience and does not have to be included in the firearms shipment. However, the recipient of this shipment must have the DOJ Verification Approval Number for their records."
Do you have reference to exactly where this is? It could help the person.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-04-2013, 1:53 PM

I did get in touch with the seller and he had the AI# printed on the box and also on the FFL copy. He ships to CA all the time so this didn't surprise me.

Seems like the transferring FFL is just giving me a hard time. I'll call him again tomorrow and point out the AI#, if he needs the letter (thanks for clarifying that he does NOT need it) I can try and get him to print it out (all you have to do is go to the website, login as an FFL, and input the AI# to print out).

I just get annoyed because I have to drive a ways to get to my FFL. Seems like they should know the #AI number and where it is or at least tell me before hand they need the letter for their own reasons.
Old 03-04-2013, 3:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
Seems like the transferring FFL is just giving me a hard time. I'll call him again tomorrow and point out the AI#, if he needs the letter (thanks for clarifying that he does NOT need it) I can try and get him to print it out (all you have to do is go to the website, login as an FFL, and input the AI# to print out).
As far as I know, only the FFL who generated the letter can print it out. The receiving FFL can not search for the information, even with the complete number.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-05-2013, 8:55 AM

Some FFL's are now thinking that just because the CFLC letter was approved, that the gun being shipped is also approved.....WRONG! The CFLC does not, in no way, legalize your AR15 or 20 round G4 glock.