Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-26-2013, 4:34 PM

Default Carbine Class Optic for the poorly sighted

Dear Calgunners,

I have a carbine class later this year and need some help picking out an optic.

I'd love to use a Eotech or Aimpoint red dot, but, because my eyes suck, those are out (I see a nice snowflake).

I also need something with an adjustable Diopter (eyepiece). This takes out ACOGs and Elcans

I want the dot to be daylight visible and true 1x (1.1x) power.

Top end isn't very critical, neither is a ballistic retical

At this point I think the Trijicon TR24 best meets my needs. I guess a Swaro 1-6 or S&B Short Dot would work too, but those are pricey. I'd like to keep this under $1K. If anyone has any better ideas, please let me know...
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 PM

I might have found a solution, It looks like the trijicon reflex sights should work. If anybody has experience with these, id be very interested to hear
Old 02-27-2013, 6:52 AM
Trigger Warning
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hi,
I use use both TR24R and Red Dots that have small dots. And my eyes are lousy too. You may have a problem with some of the Trijicon reflex sights too.

You may want to check out my current favorite the Trijicon SRS. It has a very small dot 1.75 moa and very very wide field of view when mounted at the rear of the receiver due to its design.

The TR24R is probably the most flexible. It is very fast, the glass works well, it is good for poor eye sight. There are downsides to the reticle beyond 100 yards, but that's because the triangle reticle is really designed for speed over longer range accuracy.

I also, have a couple T-1s which are very nice optics and you will probably see many guys (or gals) using the T-1 at the carbine course. The dots are not as good for my eyes.

Then there are the TA44 and TA47s. These 1.5X ACOGS are cool because they offer some very useful reticles.

I have not used these, but this would be my first choice to try for CQB.
http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produc...?pid=TA44SR-10

Then there is the Leupold VX-6 too, which I have not tried.

You really need to check some of these out before buying any of them. If you don't have time to check them all out buy a T-1 or TR24R. You can always sell it later.

In a time of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act... --George Orwell
Old 02-27-2013, 8:47 AM

Thanks for the great input Scottsbad. I saw a good deal on a Trijicon RMR dual illuminated with a 7MOA dot and bought it. I had the LED version before and really liked it except for the blooming I saw with the dot. From what I have read, the dual illuminated should have minimal issues with astigmatism. I'll give it a try, and if its not a precise as I need for my AR, I can always toss it on my Glock and get the TR24r.

Last edited by calshipbuilder; 02-27-2013 at 8:56 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Trigger Warning
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by calshipbuilder View Post
Thanks for the great input Scottsbad. I saw a good deal on a Trijicon RMR dual illuminated with a 7MOA dot and bought it. I had the LED version before and really liked it except for the blooming I saw with the dot. From what I have read, the dual illuminated should have minimal issues with astigmatism. I'll give it a try, and if its not a precise as I need for my AR, I can always toss it on my Glock and get the TR24r.
calshipbuilder,
Where did you get the RMR? I'm looking for one for my Arsenal SGL21 and I don't really want to spend MSRP for an AK sight.

Hope it works for you.
Scott

In a time of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act... --George Orwell
Old 02-27-2013, 1:53 PM

Manventure outpost, less than 400 shipped, use code WinterManVenture at checkout. I then picked up a larue mount for $79 shipped.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 PM

Well, I instantly regret that purchase. Its worse than the LED RMR I traded away. Looks like the TR24 is what I'm gonna need. Anyone in SD have one I can look through? I'll post the RMR dual illuminated with LaRue mount in the for sale section. The SRS was also a no-go, cluster of grapes as well.