Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-04-2013, 7:04 PM
Default Simmons Prairie Master Question

Hello all. I don't post much here and mostly just keep track of the 2nd Amendment forum. That aside, I need some help.

I just received a Simmons Prairie Master 8-32x44 scope from Natchez. I've never had a scope with turrets. Are the turrets supposed to screw all the way down so everything starts at zero? Right now, it seems they only screw down to the 2 or 3 (that is 2 or three full turns from 0). It's a "demo" scope that was highly discounted, so I wasn't expecting a lot, but this isn't making sense that the turrets do not screw all the way down to zero. Am I missing something here?

I was going to email Natchez or Simmons, but neither company seems to have an email address!

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think I may have solved my problem. I loosened the three set screws on the turrets and there were thick aluminum washers under them. By removing the washers, the turrets are pretty close to zero when screwed all the way down.

On another note, does anyone have any clue if this scope could work on a .30-06? I'm trying to decide if it will go on my Savage Axis, or on my budget build AR15.

Thanks again.

Last edited by dl351; 03-04-2013 at 7:13 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 8:12 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

What do you anticipate using the scope for?
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
I've gone to cabelas outfitter pattern for the central coast. Works so good the animals and I never see each other.
Old 03-04-2013, 8:24 PM

I anticipate mostly target shooting.

I hope to give deer hunting a try at some point with my .30-06. I bought the .30-06 as a cheap way to try hunting, but have yet to get a license. It came with a 3-9x40 Bushnell (the package deal from Savage) which I can't stand. My biggest gripe is not being able to see where I hit the target. I may just give this Simmons scope a try on my Savage, because it's awfully long for my 16" barrel AR15. My only concern is the shock from the .30-06, although since it came with a cheap Bushnell, maybe this Simmons scope will be ok for it.

If you can't tell, I tend to go for budget guns!