Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 07-16-2010, 5:30 PM

Default ACOG real or fake - how can you tell?

Hello, I'm about to purchase an AR-15 with a ta31rmr ACOG and i need to be able to tell if it's a fake. Can anyone tell me (a guy that doesn't know much about optics and has never held an ACOG real or fake) how to tell the difference? Here's a pic that I was sent of it. The seller is sure it's real but i've heard of instances where the seller was tricked and never knew it was a clone until he tried to resell it. I just want to make sure that didn't happen to him and doesn't happen to me. I don't have time to run the serial number since we're doing the PPT tomorrow (sat). Also I'm paying real used ACOG pricing for it, so it's NOT a "don't know if this $200 ACOG is real or not" situation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-16-2010, 5:48 PM

The glass will be really clear. Have you looked through other high end optics? Glass should be close to the quality of those optics.

Serial numbers on ACOGs are located in two places: The main ACOG housing has a serial number at the rear top where the eyepiece is attached and the serial number is duplicated on the eyepiece as well.

Ask for the INSTRUCTION MANUAL, WARRANTY CARD, LENSPEN, and PACKAGING.
Old 07-16-2010, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
The glass will be really clear. Have you looked through other high end optics? Glass should be close to the quality of those optics....Serial numbers on ACOGs are located in two places...Ask for the INSTRUCTION MANUAL, WARRANTY CARD, LENSPEN, and PACKAGING.
This will be my first set of quality optics, I don't have time to run the serial numbers and he said he lost the original pelican case withe the stuff in it during a move.

There's no way to tell the difference by looking at them?
Old 07-16-2010, 6:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by icentropy View Post
Depending on the clone, anywhere from not easily to very obvious.
I've got one of the JeffU clones and it's obviously a clone... no raised lettering, everything is painted (or silkscreened)... no Bible verse embedded in the serial number.

Some clones not only appear to be identical... they ARE identical. I don't know if this applies to Trijicon or not, but it certainly applies to some companies.

Companies try to save on labor so they outsource to China.
Chinese fab shop does a production run of 5,000 units for "XYZ"
What XYZ doesn't know is they also did a production run of 10,000 units that they will "launder" through another company and sell them on eBay for 20% of the price of the "real thing". The only difference is the clone will not have a valid serial number... or perhaps the clone will have a legit serial number, but it will be a duplicate of a "genuine" unit... in the above case, there are either 10,001 units out there with the same serial number, or maybe there are 15,000 units out there, with two "clones" having the same serial number as each real one.

The big problem is that this doesn't only undercut the company, it also costs them, because these "clones" are normally made with material paid for by the contracting company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-16-2010, 6:26 PM

fake acogs, also known as facogs, have a few tell tale signs you can identify. some fakes lack serial numbers, or have ink printed serials, as opposed to bevelled. sometimes they lack colored O-rings around the adjustment dials, bible verse, have non-individualized serial numbers, and different body finish.

here is a fake for comparison.

Old 07-16-2010, 6:28 PM

Well based on the pic above its got raised lettering/bible verse. I've also never seen pics of a clone with the fiber optic outside.
Old 07-16-2010, 7:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Common sense dictates that when buying something you know nothing about.....that is commonly counterfeited.....you don't buy it until you can verify it's authenticity. Cancel tomorrow until you can verify it....rushing to buy something like this can be a recipe for disaster.
Old 07-16-2010, 7:41 PM

check to see if it requires batteries, if it does its fake. Turn off the lights and see if the crosshair glow, if they dont its fake.

that acog setup runs at least 1500-2k, even on the used market it would run around 1100 in fair coniditon. If ur looking on auction sites u gotta look out for "Trijicon Style ACOG"
Old 07-16-2010, 8:10 PM

Contact Trijicon they can also do a verification once you get it. Keep the guys address and name just in case it turns out to be a bust. A fellow gun owner in the area could just drop by and sort it out...
Old 07-16-2010, 8:12 PM

Quote:
This will be my first set of quality optics, I don't have time to run the serial numbers and he said he lost the original pelican case withe the stuff in it during a move.

I would have made sure not to lose it... something is weird.... how does one lose a Pelican case. Even the small ones are not that hard to keep track of.
Old 07-17-2010, 7:57 PM

Get the serial number and run it by Trijicon. They'll be able to tell you the model you're buying and the date of manufacture.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 PM

The picture you posted is a FAKE in my opinion.

Big clue is the picture he sent you is NOT an ACOG TA31RMR

this is the TA31RMR

Old 07-18-2010, 10:33 PM

I have to disagree. There is a cover on the Docter. If it is a fake, it is a really, really good fake. The Fiber optic tube is clear, the rollpin at the top is flush and nice, and the caps are correct. The lettering looks good too.
Nick
Old 07-19-2010, 5:24 AM

Quote:
I don't have time to run the serial numbers
You spent more time typing your post and responses than it would have taken calling Trijicon to verify.

If you do not call Trijicon yourself (get the seller to take a picture of the serial number), then the only person to blame is yourself. Everyone here is trying to give you useful advise, but only Trijicon can give you absolute certainty.

Get a picture on of the s/n on the top where the eyepiece meets the scope body (there will be two s/n, one on both pieces) and get a picture of the laser etching on the side of the scope. The same s/n should be etched on the side.
Old 07-19-2010, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony. View Post
You spent more time typing your post and responses than it would have taken calling Trijicon to verify.
No, the problem was that i was doing a PPT trade on saturday with a guy and This ACOG was part of the deal, unfortunately i didn't have the common sense to ask for the ACOG serial number until i started getting nervous Friday night. Trijicon is closed on weekends and the guy was driving from pretty far away so i needed to get as much info as possible to be able to tell for myself when i we met FTF.

Happy ending to this story though. Did the PPT on Sat. Gun shop owner was kind enough to verify as best as he could that it was the real deal AND I called Trijicon this morning (monday) with the serial number and they said it was authentic and made end of last year! It's a sweet scope setup. My very first >$100 scope (i'm a newbie at this mostly and have only bought junk in the past), and i'm very happy with it so far.

Thanks to every one for the info.
Old 07-19-2010, 9:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice! Congrats.
Old 03-04-2013, 5:06 PM

Default BIBLICAL VERSE

Hello all. I work for TACOM AMC we field, or issue, these acogs along with multiple other pieces. I noticed alot of you were writing about a biblical verse on the acogs, there was a big push to remove this etching in the recent years as a matter of fact part of my team had to go help this process last year so just because it doesn't have this doesn't mean it's a fake one true way to tell is if you hold the scope at an angle and look through it you should see numbers on the outer edge of the lens. Hope this helps for future purchases.
Old 03-05-2013, 9:31 PM

Yep, embossed (raised) lettering, clear resin with right color and opacity to the fiber optic line, correct coloring, correct bend in fiber optic line, correct scope cap grips, etc.

It's actually pretty easy to tell a real from a fake.

1) If it takes batteries, (unless it's the new LED ACOG), it's fake
2) If it has multiple reticle colors, it's fake
3) If it appears to be a dual illumination scope (fiber optic line) and does NOT get brighter and dimmer as you move it in and out of the sun/shade, it's fake (or broken)
4) If you go into a pitch black room and the reticle doesnt glow at all, then its fake.

Side by side comparison is easy. If you know what to look for, it is very easy to spot a fake. Build quality can help indicate authenticity as well.

Glad your situation worked out. Congrats and welcome to the Trijicon owners family!
Old 03-05-2013, 9:45 PM

I have owned two genuine Acogs. A TA01NSN and a TA11.
I have also owned two Chinese clones. One was a red dot and the other was a 4x32.
They looked fairly good on the outside, but the glass wasn't crystal clear and neither had an illuminated reticule.

PS.
Congrats!

NRA,SAF,CGF
CCRKBA
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-05-2013, 9:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Best way to know its legit is just to look through it…

You can’t clone an ACOGs optical clarity at facog prices…
Old 03-13-2013, 5:47 PM

That one in the first picture is not a fake.
Too exact at multiple points.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

I have never seen or heard of a FACOG that actually is powered by Fiber Optics.

Also, the ACOG has one of the most amazing pieces of glass... with the nicest field of view ever.

I could spot a fake in a half a second.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
I have never seen or heard of a FACOG that actually is powered by Fiber Optics.

Also, the ACOG has one of the most amazing pieces of glass... with the nicest field of view ever.

I could spot a fake in a half a second.

Too bad you had a hard time spotting that fact you were missing the neck bushing for your sizing die....

Only joking man... I do hope you got that sorted out.

But I agree 100%...
Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Haha yah, back when match ammo was under a buck a pop, I was still "ok" with it... but now its just stupid, so I finally got into reloading.

It was sad.. I had everything up and ready, finally found powder and primers and am getting ready to do my first workup... and I figured out i needed bushings. SO SAD. lol
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 04-17-2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
Yep, embossed (raised) lettering, clear resin with right color and opacity to the fiber optic line, correct coloring, correct bend in fiber optic line, correct scope cap grips, etc.

It's actually pretty easy to tell a real from a fake.

1) If it takes batteries, (unless it's the new LED ACOG), it's fake
3) If it appears to be a dual illumination scope (fiber optic line) and does NOT get brighter and dimmer as you move it in and out of the sun/shade, it's fake (or broken)
4) If you go into a pitch black room and the reticle doesnt glow at all, then its fake.

Side by side comparison is easy. If you know what to look for, it is very easy to spot a fake. Build quality can help indicate authenticity as well.

Glad your situation worked out. Congrats and welcome to the Trijicon owners family!
http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produc...hp?pid=TA31H-G

ACOG's come in 3 different colors...... I just got mine today and its sick... going in a dark room and looking thru the lens and it glows green.

I just wish it was brighter. I picked up an LED flash light and shined it on the fiber element and its a lot brighter - i just wish it was like that all the time..... my only complaint. This thing is amazing otherwise!
Old 04-17-2013, 8:35 PM

just call the trijicon and run the s#...only gonna take 5mins
Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkrypt3d View Post
ACOG's come in 3 different colors...... I just got mine today and its sick... going in a dark room and looking thru the lens and it glows green.
What goodlookin1 is referencing is more of 'changing on the fly' not units with different colors as options.
Old 04-18-2013, 5:21 PM

if its 200 $ its fake unless the seller is addicted to meth .
Old 04-25-2013, 9:52 PM

looks phoney to me