Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-02-2013, 5:32 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Default Anyone else waiting to finish their AR build until the laws shake out?

I've stopped searching for uppers, rails, stocks, etc. to improve a current or start a new build as if the CA gun Laws as proposed by Steinberg pass AR's (detachable magazine semi automatic rifle) will be illegal. I believe that if its going to pass it will do so in the proposed form because all the Big D's are behind it and the other party doesn't have the votes to stop anything. Please don't even say I have a defeatist attitude, rather I don't want to dump hundreds into something that I can't use or will have to resell this year.

Just wondering if others are doing the same.
FS NIB Browning A5 12 gauge - $1,000 (over $500 off retail)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1201509
Old 03-02-2013, 5:44 AM

I was going to build Featureless, but that won't count any more if it's just a grab for all detachable Mag Semi Autos.

The search for an out of state new home intensifies.

NRA Patron Member
NRA Range Safety Officer

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. –Stephen Covey
كافر
Old 03-02-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcutt View Post
The search for an out of state new home intensifies.
I agree. ^

The only thing stopping me from completing my projects is the ridiculous prices people are asking. Even if you do find an upper at a decent price, it certainly won't come with the BCG. If any ban does pass, my belief is that current "assault weapons" will be grandfathered in and the parts will still be manufactured so I am just waiting for the prices to deflate to their pre-craze value.
Old 03-02-2013, 1:05 PM

I am assembling a complete Lower, then stopping until I know: a) what alternative AR caliber I can afford to use as 5.56 isn't going to do what I want to do and b) if I will be allowed by law to own an AR-15. Not willing to sink more at this time for something that, worse-case scenerio, I'll have to surrender or face felony charges for mere possession.
Old 03-02-2013, 1:28 PM

I am also finishing my lower build, then putting it on a back burner for a while. I can find uppers, but they are pricey. I just want to get the lower done for now. Who knows, maybe 6 months or so the prices will come back down, or maybe never. Either way, I still want the lower finished.
Old 03-02-2013, 1:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Just keep searching. All the prices have gone up is like less then 50.00. You need to visit all sights to buy before these self made capitalists do.
Old 03-02-2013, 2:14 PM

On the contrary. I'm looking for things.

Or am I?
Old 03-02-2013, 2:18 PM

I'm actually studying metallurgy, mechanical engineering, machining, etc.
Old 03-02-2013, 4:24 PM

I'm also holding on to my AR lower... It does bother me since it's my first AR (one in my avatar belongs to my cousin), and I reeeeaaaalllyyy want to complete it. But I also don't want to invest too much in it if California laws go as full retard as the legislators are aiming for.

At the very least, I guess it's prudent to wait until the panic prices drop back down and the uppers are even available in stores.
"The fundamental point [against gun control] is this: Do you take away the liberties of all, do you assume the guilt of all, because some people cannot handle that freedom properly? Imagine if you did, how many other freedoms would have to be taken away." - Peter Hitchens.
Old 03-02-2013, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Only thing keeping me from finishing my AR is $ and a reasonably priced complete upper receiver.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-02-2013, 5:35 PM

All that I'm waiting for is the prices to come back down to normal. As far as I'm concerned, I'm in a position where I have the luxury to wait and be picky about what I buy and how much I pay for it.
Old 03-02-2013, 5:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
I believe that if its going to pass it will do so in the proposed form because all the Big D's are behind it and the other party doesn't have the votes to stop anything.
I guess you didn't get the memo about the Democrats losing their supermajority.

http://www.kfiam640.com/cc-common/ne...ticle=10871490

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-02-2013, 6:16 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Once they appoint to fill Rubios seat it's back to Super Majority.
FS NIB Browning A5 12 gauge - $1,000 (over $500 off retail)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1201509
Old 03-02-2013, 7:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got my lower complete but no upper $$$, just can't afford one at this time.
Guess I'll just have to wait.
Nehemiah 4:14 ...Remember the Lord, great and awesome, and fight for your brethren, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
This is a discussion forum, that's what happens on a discussion forum.
People talk, discuss, speculate and share information.
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."~John Adams 1798
Old 03-02-2013, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
I've stopped searching for uppers, rails, stocks, etc. to improve a current or start a new build as if the CA gun Laws as proposed by Steinberg pass AR's (detachable magazine semi automatic rifle) will be illegal. I believe that if its going to pass it will do so in the proposed form because all the Big D's are behind it and the other party doesn't have the votes to stop anything. Please don't even say I have a defeatist attitude, rather I don't want to dump hundreds into something that I can't use or will have to resell this year.

Just wondering if others are doing the same.
I think there are many many citizens of kommi that is only gonna follow what the armed citizens of ny state's .....Your post here seems a to be going a bit in the wrong direction.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 03-02-2013, 9:07 PM

ive seen junk *** uppers selling for 1000-1500 and some with NO BCG !! .. however i sniped a pof-usa upper for 1500...yesterday in the marketplace ..one of the only uppers worth that price if you can even find one .. piston driven nickel plated BCG ... ahhhh... be jealous lol
Old 03-02-2013, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpaktechUSA View Post
ive seen junk *** uppers selling for 1000-1500 and some with NO BCG !! .. however i sniped a pof-usa upper for 1500...yesterday in the marketplace ..one of the only uppers worth that price if you can even find one .. piston driven nickel plated BCG ... ahhhh... be jealous lol
Naaaa, not jealous at all. My di spikes and fn serves me well enough. Only jealous if you got more ammo, mags, cool optics, 40w raygun.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 PM

I feel like I have no other option right now but
to sit and wait. Lest I am willing to spend twice
the "normal" price, that is if I even find one.

"and God said let there be VTEC. And then there was
a great earthquake. The seas boiled and the skies fell...

All fell silent as the roar of 5,600RPM echoed across the earth"

Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98 View Post
Naaaa, not jealous at all. My di spikes and fn serves me well enough. Only jealous if you got more ammo, mags, cool optics, 40w raygun.
i have a blaster lol... my DI have never failed either.. i just saw a good deal ..ahhaha( a good deal is something normally priced now lol ) and told myself i dont see why not .. i mean my birthday just passed and i didnt get myself anything so i fixed that problem
Old 03-03-2013, 12:06 AM

I started my build at the beginning of the scare when JD lowers were $119 and the billet Franklins were around $150-$180 (forgot which). I have completely built my AR. Only thing needed is a Bcm bcg and optics. I figured I would get the parts while they are still accessible as you never know what the politicians will do. Figure if the a holes come a knockin on my door I will just give them a stripped receiver and I will transfer all the parts to an 80% well actually 95% lower. Would be 100% if it wasnt for being a Rohg lower.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepimpster View Post
I started my build at the beginning of the scare when JD lowers were $119 and the billet Franklins were around $150-$180 (forgot which). I have completely built my AR. Only thing needed is a Bcm bcg and optics. I figured I would get the parts while they are still accessible as you never know what the politicians will do. Figure if the a holes come a knockin on my door I will just give them a stripped receiver and I will transfer all the parts to an 80% well actually 95% lower. Would be 100% if it wasnt for being a Rohg lower.
DID SOMEONE SAY ROHG! by all means please read! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=616613
Old 03-03-2013, 4:03 PM

I've been thinking the same thing regarding parts/accessories for my semis. It would be a waste to buy some nice optics or expensive goodies only to take them off later
Old 03-04-2013, 5:15 PM

The 1994 Federal AW ban required the rifle in question to have been "manufactured" with the banned features prior to the effective date of the ban. This wasn't a problem for most people because most people back then bought complete rifles.

However, for those who bought stripped lowers, to do everything by the book, you had to have "manufactured" a complete rifle with each lower having two banned features prior to the effective date of the ban.

Thus, folks kept receipts of their pre-ban parts purchases. Those who couldn't buy an upper for each lower would assemble a rifle with two banned features, take a photo of the rifle with the serial number, disassemble the rifle, assemble a rifle with the same parts but a different lower, take a photo, and so on. It was capped off with a photo of something that would establish the date (NBC nightly news on TV, for example). (This was back in the film days and you could tell the sequence of when a photo was taken by looking at the negative.)

Obviously, these folks were a bit paranoid. The Feds never ended up asking for proof that a complete rifle built from a stripped lower was manufactured prior to the effective date of the Federal AWB. The burden of proof is on the prosecutor -- and this was pretty tough to prove.

I mention all of this only because back then, you couldn't post on a forum and have that forum archived and searchable years later. And one couldn't then data mine a user name and associate it with a real live person. But you can now!

Last edited by SamIAm; 03-04-2013 at 5:17 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 2:34 PM

My opinion is build em now. Imho it's much more likely we'll be limited in what we can buy in the future in Kali as opposed to them taking away something we already own that was legal in March 13'.
Hopefully nothing will get worse in Kali but I find it very hard to believe they'll pass something that mandates some kind of confiscation; unless you committed a felony after you legally bought something.
Confiscation will be a very difficult and expensive process for the Kali state government.
Most of the panic is over. Yes; the top name AR's are still very high but all the others are returning to what they were.
If you put them together from different parts you save the 11% or whatever federal gun tax.
I (very stupidly) started Jan. 13'; I picked up a couple lowers in private party sales (yes; high prices but I'm still glad I got them), I shopped around quite a bit and picked up a bunch of 10 round mags and a couple bcg's and charging handles and a lpk. I ordered a barreled upper from PSA 3-14 and it was delivered yesterday, and I've got another different PSA barreled upper on order.
By the end of March I should have two AR's up and running at not too bad of prices in the middle of the panic. No; not the top names but I'm just a regular citizen.
To me the danger is much more that what you can buy in the future in Kali will be limited as opposed to them trying to take away something you already have.