Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-01-2013, 2:25 PM

I reload so i am able to shoot every week. I saw the "storm of stupidity" on the horizon back in November and stocked up on components. But if you look hard you can still find them. I have 1k of 9mm coming from Xtreme Bullets. 1500 .40 S & W from Berrys on the way. I was in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. I walked into a small gun store and they had powder on the shelf so i bought some. I didn't really need any of these because i have plenty but i figure at least i will use them. I'm not going to turn around and sell them here at triple the price. If you look you'll find the components out there.
Old 03-01-2013, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypriss32 View Post
If you have ammo you are called a hoarder. If you don't you are a dumb ***! Now I don't have much ammo prolly 1 to 3 k per gun BUT reloading components galore. I have decided to keep it simple less calibers allow me to buy more components in bulk to save money. I just use 6 powders for all my guns.
IMO: here's the gist: HOARDER > DUMB@#$
Old 03-01-2013, 3:03 PM
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonzin View Post
Except try finding powder, primers and some types of bullets.

$10 says I can find the components to any common load, not including brass, within a week
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Old 03-01-2013, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I've suspended competition shooting unless I can find ammo for the match, rather than cutting into my inventory.
Old 03-01-2013, 3:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
I began stockpiling, when saw the writing on the wall with the election, back duirng the summer...
... of '92.

Consequently, I'm engaging in a little eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil capitalism at the moment (before Der Kommissar Obamassar outlaws THAT, too... ), but I still have more than I'll ever be able to shoot
Further proof that all this retarded hoarding does is raise the prices for all of us in the long run. The bans on its way people, obviously it just takes 21+ years to get here!

Oh well, one of the perks about living where I do is that there isn't 250 of you city rats piling on top of each other to buy up all the ammo before it hits the shelves. I have a steady supply.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood

Last edited by Meety Peety; 03-01-2013 at 3:41 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Loco View Post
fiochi 7.62x39 for $16 a box.
serious? how did you willingly pay around .75 a round?
Old 03-02-2013, 5:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Better shoot up the evil hollow point ammo......lol.
Old 03-02-2013, 6:07 AM

Quote:
kinda make me wish i had a backup hobby, i should of bought a dirt bike again, oh wells theres always the bb gun
Wise words.

I'm taking the kids out tomorrow.
A second (3rd,4th, etc) hobby is healthy and a good way not to obsess over a particular problem with any distraction (hobby).
Old 03-02-2013, 7:35 AM

I shoot my airsoft guns.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 PM

I finish my rifle to try my hand at 3gun...one day after sandyhook.
"This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree besides the river of truth, and tell the whole world-- --No you move."
Old 03-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmrevolver View Post
Single stage reloading keeps me busy. I shoot once every month or two
Same.
Going out tomorrow for the first shoot in months.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've bought ammo here and there over the course of a few years. The current shortage is affecting me but not as badly as some people.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM

I've switched to shooting range reloads instead of my good stuff. Haven't had a problem yet. For my SKS I use WPA steel case ammo and it still seems to be available, of course everything costs a little more. -_-
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Just remember this next time these things are available. I was ordering ammo 7K to 7.5k at a time and people I work with said I was crazy. I told them it wasn't going to get cheaper. Ammo wasn't going to go bad. Those same people want me to sell mine. Not a chance. I can still shoot and have a load of reloading supplies as well.

Next time the shelves are stocked, pick some up. Each Wal-mart trip a box of 550 rounds of 22 wont be noticed in the total. You will turn around and have 40k rounds of the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAcHog View Post
I have read that...Serioulsy....check it out online.
Old 03-02-2013, 3:45 PM
Veteran Member

I cut back on ammo I shoot at the range, while I do a lot more of dry practice at home with Laser Ammo. Dry practice with this thing is fun since you and others can easily see where the bullet would have hit. I took a human torso and head-shaped Front Sight target and put reflective tape from the Home Depot over the cranio-ocular cavity and the thoracic cavity, so when the laser hits the correct locations, it flashes much more brightly than if I miss. Indoors, even during the day, it is easy to see the laser flash.
Old 03-02-2013, 3:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xingu View Post
Just remember this next time these things are available. I was ordering ammo 7K to 7.5k at a time and people I work with said I was crazy. I told them it wasn't going to get cheaper. Ammo wasn't going to go bad. Those same people want me to sell mine. Not a chance. I can still shoot and have a load of reloading supplies as well.

Next time the shelves are stocked, pick some up. Each Wal-mart trip a box of 550 rounds of 22 wont be noticed in the total. You will turn around and have 40k rounds of the stuff.
The only two items I buy at Walmart are birdseed and ammo. Every time I went to WM for a sack of wild bird food a box or two of ammo came home with me. That is one reason why I'll be able to shoot for another 10 years withough buying another round or reloading component.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 03-02-2013, 4:30 PM

Take up clay shooting? I still see 12 gauge in stock at stores and online.

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 03-02-2013, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
$10 says I can find the components to any common load, not including brass, within a week
O'really........Lol...........Find 500rds of .224 55gr, cfe223 or h335, 500 sr primers. Oh, and you got a budget of only $80.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 03-02-2013, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Even if you "bought it cheap and stacked it deep". You can't help thinking about how much the ammo is worth now before a range trip.

Last edited by chickenfried; 03-02-2013 at 7:03 PM..
Old 03-02-2013, 7:17 PM

It has occured to me that the opposition knows they can't win this issue, so they're simply threatening doom and gloom at this point, inciting panic and raising prices, driving down availability.

It's more or less caused exactly what they're trying to accomplish. Cut off supply, nobody doing any shooting, or decreasing shooting because of the scarcity of ammo.

The panic has caused a de facto ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernher von Browning View Post
I just checked. Change is all I've got left, they took all the folding money.
Quote:
A people whose only powers, liberties & remedies are those strictly defined by the State is not a free people at all.
Wanted: pre-war Colt Detective Special and commercial 1911.
Old 03-02-2013, 7:18 PM

Yea this stuff is ridiculous. I haven't been shooting in a while and didn't have the money to stock up. My brother in law and i are trying to go shooting st pattys weekend and now I can't find .40 s&w ammo. Nobody in the ammo sale section wants to ship ammo and they want .50 cents a round. Needless to say I've learned my lesson and am going to stock up when I'm able.
Old 03-03-2013, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
Take up clay shooting? I still see 12 gauge in stock at stores and online.
Don't know where you're shopping at. All the bulk priced 12ga target loads at Walmart and Turners are gone. The premium stuff is still available at almost $1/shell but that can be said about all sorts of ammo.

If you're shooting 20ga or 410, I guess you're still okay for now.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Dirt Road Superstar
CGN Contributor

Sadly even when I shoot my .22LR I hear cha-ching each time I fire.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post
Even if you "bought it cheap and stacked it deep". You can't help thinking about how much the ammo is worth now before a range trip.
Even if you stocked 10,000 rounds of...whatever, at some point you'll run out if you're not replacing what you're shooting. I hear some guys shoot 500 rounds per range trip, some 1,000 or more. Suddenly, 10,000 rounds of anything doesn't seem so much anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectric03 View Post
Yea this stuff is ridiculous. I haven't been shooting in a while and didn't have the money to stock up. My brother in law and i are trying to go shooting st pattys weekend and now I can't find .40 s&w ammo. Nobody in the ammo sale section wants to ship ammo and they want .50 cents a round. Needless to say I've learned my lesson and am going to stock up when I'm able.
If you're looking for .40 I almost always see them in my local Wal*Marts; where are you at? There are many "Wal*Mart ammo availability" threads about the boards...
Old 03-04-2013, 7:53 AM
Vietnam Vet
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I use to shoot weekly. I am now down to about once a month. I have some stock pile ammo but like most of you I don't want to shoot what I can't replace.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 03-04-2013, 8:32 AM

i do not reload and a friend who did for me is running low on components. i shoot some sort of competitive pistol match every week, if not two.

i have been just paying panic prices and doing parking lot deals from the classifieds section here.

i really want to shoot at the idpa national championships and i really want to make master class. so i bite it and pay the $$ to accomplish my goal.

i do spend more time dry firing than the substantial amount i even did before.

i get down to 2k rounds and i start to panic. and for matches i have to fly to, they have told me to bring my own as they have nothing in their towns either.

USPSA- Production Master, L-10 A
IDPA- ESP, SSP Master
Old 03-04-2013, 6:47 PM

For my 25th wedding anniversary I gave my wife 5 gallons of gas and a Chocolate box filled with polished up rounds of various hard to find ammo in it.

It took me a few months to gather and almost sent me to the poor house, but I have been reaping the benefits from that thoughtful gift ever since. So actually I did use it for fun!

Who would have known that Ammo and Gas are a girls best friend!

I am already planning for our 30th. to move from Kaiser medical coverage to possibly a real HMO. That is if I can refinance my house first to get enough cash to make it happen.

You just got to love America!!! Lol.

Last edited by joepamjohn; 03-04-2013 at 6:53 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 6:52 PM
CGSSA Leader

You can find ammo you just have to patient. Just today I got 100rds of .223 for $35, 100rds of 9m $21 and 550rds of 22lr for $20

Insight Shooting Range Monthly Shoot Dec 17th
Old 03-04-2013, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
I have ammo. I've stocked some just only before everything went nuts. However, how much is enough? From what it looks like, this shortage may not let up for quite some time. Given that, I don't want to use any of my stock unless its for a good reason.(ie HD or zeroing a new scope). Was hoping to get into shooting sports this year like 3-Gun but ammo is just too precious right now to use for the sake of fun.

How are all you competitive shooters dealing with the current ammo shortage?
Don't know what to tell you. Ammo is out there, in small quantities and maybe at prices you don't like but it is out there. Hell, I was in a Cabelas and there were 10 boxes of blazer brass sitting on the shelf for normal price. And we are having the same ammo issues here as everywhere.

Match season is just starting and I fully intend to use some ammo for those matches. 2 reasons. It's fun and I need the practice. That and I have plenty of ammo. I'll replace it over the next year and am going to start reloading to cover IDPA and USPSA uses. But, reloading won't help this year. This year it will all be factory ammo that I bought over the last 10 years when times were good.
Old 03-04-2013, 7:34 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
I have ammo. I've stocked some just only before everything went nuts. However, how much is enough? From what it looks like, this shortage may not let up for quite some time. Given that, I don't want to use any of my stock unless its for a good reason.(ie HD or zeroing a new scope). Was hoping to get into shooting sports this year like 3-Gun but ammo is just too precious right now to use for the sake of fun.
Proficiency is a perishable skill. This fact was reinforced to me after shooting for the first time in over a year last month. For the time being, i plan to shoot monthly until fire season and then shoot only my HD piece at ranges until it is over.

I now load my 30rd mag. 5 or 10 at a time and spend more time talking to others between reloads than I ever have previously.

I wont stop shooting monthly but I have become more judicious with my habits. I continue to buy (as recently as last week) from a supplier that continues to offer ammo at a fair price. It might not be $0.09/rd. as it was in the distant past, but it was less than $0.25.

For me competency is worth the price.

YMMV.

Last edited by musick; 03-04-2013 at 7:37 PM.. Reason: distant
Old 03-05-2013, 4:54 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Funny how some people like to post that they still shoot a lot. They know all the insider deals. They have plenty of reloading supplies. This severe ammo shortage is a minor footnote. They have been stockpiling for years. They are older and wiser and offer a condescending head shake at all of you silly people that are scrambling for ammo. They are above the fray and not subject to or injured whatsoever by these troubled times.
Old 03-05-2013, 5:21 AM

While I have enough ammo to shoot and components to reload, I now only shoot once a month instead of weekly and decided not to buy a progressive press and stick with my RCBS single stage. Buy the way has anybody seen any 22lr?

Cheers,
W-W

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Old 03-05-2013, 5:57 AM

22LR...the holy grail. You can't reload it! lol!

Robert
Old 03-05-2013, 6:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by railgunner View Post
If you have too ask how much is enough, you don't have enough. If SHTF and you plan on staying in the house you will need alot more than if you are on foot. You can only carry so much. My goal is to have around 3,000 rounds of each cal. I am there on the 9MM. Still working on that goal for .223, 38, 357 & 12 ga. Extra mags important also.
No where near enough if you are a shooter

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 03-05-2013, 6:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
$10.00 says I can find any common load within a week

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 03-05-2013, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

Ammo and GAS; ain't got none.
Old 03-05-2013, 7:52 AM

shoot black powder
Old 03-05-2013, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

I only have one box of 9mm left but I need to get to the range a.s.a.p. to get my practice in. I'm used to firing 350+ rounds in a session but I shoot really poorly if I don't practice after 3 weeks or so.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 03-05-2013, 9:02 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Down to shooting once a month, 75 rounds of .22 LR and perhaps 50 rounds of 9mm for indoor trips. For outdoor trips, perhaps 50 rounds of 7.62x54R out of the M44.

I have a good stash but I agree, if you are shooting and not replenishing, it is going to run out. The ammo shortage will end eventually but here in the fascist state that we live in, obtaining ammo may be becoming extremely difficult and expensive.

Have been also stockpiling reloading supplies, that is my backup plan. I am done buying ammo, too many of the calibers I shoot are not easily reloadable, like .22 LR and all of my 7.62x54R is Russian surplus. Going to begin loading for the pistol calibers, then will move to rifle and shotgun once I learn what I am doing.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading

Last edited by Capybara; 03-08-2013 at 7:23 AM..
Old 03-05-2013, 9:21 AM

I see ammo starting to trickle in at local WalMarts (all cals). Price about 3 cents a shell more than it was before panic. Picked up 750 rds of 9MM today (3 box limit).