Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 PM

Default My first 03 Purchase - M1 carbine

About a week ago I bought my first rifle since getting my 03. It is an Inland with a 6 million range S/N. Barrel is also Inland 12-44 which would be consistent with S/N. I'm no expert but I am learning. I tore it down and looked for markings hoping for help determining the manufacturers. Looks like the stock has been sanded and refinished, no markings whatsoever.

Front sight: N stamped to rear of blade
Barrel Band: JM
Slide: circled U (Underwood?)
Hammer: AMB
Sear: RI
Trigger housing N with 9 below it.

I figure I may need to strip it down again to look at the actual trigger and bolt, but I didn't see marikings. Also is the rear flip sight period correct. I am debating if I am going to try to get it back to 1944-45 era as issued state and replace the mixed parts.

Any ideas about value would be appreciated too. I think I did ok on this deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(1).JPG (24.6 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg photo(2).JPG (26.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg photo(3).JPG (33.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg photo(4).JPG (29.6 KB, 108 views)
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle
Old 02-27-2013, 12:42 PM

"6 million range s/n" really isn't enough information - exact serial number is needed to determine what is correct.

Flip rear sight doesn't seem correct for this high of a serial number, should have a Type 2 or Type 3 rear sight with the sliding aperture.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
"6 million range s/n" really isn't enough information - exact serial number is needed to determine what is correct.

Flip rear sight doesn't seem correct for this high of a serial number, should have a Type 2 or Type 3 rear sight with the sliding aperture.
Thanks

S/N = 6707xxx, I was hoping that the later sight would be correct, as that is first thing I wanted to change out. Is there a good reference sight or book that lists all the changes and when they were implemented?
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Old 02-27-2013, 1:02 PM
Super Moderator

Is there stack marks on the rear sight dove. I`m pretty sure by that serial number they had stopped using the flip and went to the type 2.

I`ll look in my book to see the part makers.
Old 02-27-2013, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big103 View Post
Is there stack marks on the rear sight dove. I`m pretty sure by that serial number they had stopped using the flip and went to the type 2.

I`ll look in my book to see the part makers.
Without removing the sight (I don't have a tool), I see absolutely no marks. What book? I love these rifles and may add more to my collection. But I figured I would learn as much as possible about the one in hand first to educate myself.

Old 02-27-2013, 1:26 PM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Gunner View Post
Thanks

S/N = 6707xxx, I was hoping that the later sight would be correct, as that is first thing I wanted to change out. Is there a good reference sight or book that lists all the changes and when they were implemented?
These are must-have books for M1 Carbine collectors:

War Baby Vol 1

War Baby Vol 2

In volume 1, see pages 95-96 for a detailed history on the rear sight changes over at Inland. The newer T21 rear sight (which you don't have) was approved for usage on all carbines on Nov 25, 1944. Per page 25 in The M1 Carbine Owner's Guide by Ruth & Duff (another must-own book) the carbine with your serial number was built at Inland in January-March 1945.

Old 02-27-2013, 2:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I believe that Inland went to the Type II sight around serial #5 mil. and the Type III sight around 6.2 mil.

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 02-27-2013, 4:12 PM

i just bought my first m1 carbine the other week its a national postal meter the barrel is marlin manufactured ann a lot of the parts are mixmatched so if you have any npm parts you want to get rid of let me know
Old 02-27-2013, 5:02 PM

Larry Ruth and Scott Duff combined in about 1999 to write a paperback book called "The M1 Carbine Owner's Guide". Search on the internet for Scott A. Duff Publications of Export, PA. You could start with that as it is less expensive than "War Baby". "Owner's Guide" has a ton of info about makers, serial numbers vs. date of manufacture, markings, disassembly, re-assembly, etc. Pretty nice for starters. I think Fulton Armory also sells it.

Now that I actually own a WWII M1 Carbine, I've ordered "War Baby I" to add to my library. It's costing me $60.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 03-01-2013, 8:02 AM

I have 2 Fulton M1 Carbine rebuilds (Winchester receivers) with the Ultimak forward mounts.

The mounts are something that give you a few more options for the old platform. Allows for a scout scope (I use a Leupold Scout) or red dot mount. It also stiffens the barrel and acts like a heat sink.

With handloads and this setup the platform returns <1.5" groups at 100 yards. With bulk (just about anything) it is still well under 2".

If you want to get just a little bit more out of the old platform check the Ultimak mounts out.

To note, I generally choose to shoot just the irons since it is so much fun but having the options there is nice too.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 AM

So I am looking to get an Inland Type 3 rear sight for my rifle. Is the stamp IR CO 7160060 correct? I have books on order, but they aren't here yet. I couldn't find IR in my searches and ebay seller doesn't know. I would like to know before I bid. Thanks

Old 03-02-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundoc View Post
i just bought my first m1 carbine the other week its a national postal meter the barrel is marlin manufactured ann a lot of the parts are mixmatched so if you have any npm parts you want to get rid of let me know
I haven't fournd any NPM parts on it. Likewise though if you have any Inland parts I would be interested. My project to restore it to more or less all period correct Inland parts may take me a while.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Any parts that were put on the Carbine, going thru arsenal rebuilds are "correct". Later parts, installed, were deemed superior to the early replaced parts, either because of strength issues, or for things like bayonets or a more versatile rear sight.

The rear sight you mention above is indeed correct for a late war/ post war rebuild.

Last edited by ccandgc; 03-02-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccandgc View Post
Any parts that were put on the Carbine, going thru arsenal rebuilds are "correct". Later parts, installed, were deemed superior to the early replaced parts, either because of strength issues, or for things like bayonets or a more versatile rear sight.
Fair enough, maybe I should have said correct as-issued configuration, but based on S/N the type I flip sight would have never appeared on this rifle, meaning most likely that previous owner either swapped it out, or mistakenly replaced Type III with older Type I. So that is most definitely not correct for this one. I have already bought an new manufacture Type III, but would like to replace the mix master stuff with Inland just for the hell of it.

I get 1/2 my fun from shooting and the other 1/2 from tinkering.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yup! Someone along the line added an old sight. No big deal, easy to swap out.
Carbines are awesome. At one point, I had 18 of them. Yes, OCD has its perks . Tinkering with them, researching them and shooting them is the best.
I believe I have some Inland parts still, PM me if interested....
Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccandgc View Post
Yup! Someone along the line added an old sight. No big deal, easy to swap out.
Carbines are awesome. At one point, I had 18 of them. Yes, OCD has its perks . Tinkering with them, researching them and shooting them is the best.
I believe I have some Inland parts still, PM me if interested....
PM will be coming. I hear you. My interest comes because my uncle's carbine was the first thing over a .22LR I ever shot. I bought my first two weeks ago. I am off to the range for the first time now.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have fun!
Old 03-04-2013, 2:17 AM

i think i might have some parts for your inland im new to the m1 carbine i'll try to post some pics and maybe some of you can help me identify the parts
Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

lundoc and Irish Gunner, click here for a discussion that might help you identify your M1 Carbine parts by manufacturer markings. It's pretty comprehensive.

I'm just learning about the mysterious ways of the Carbine myself, having acquired a NPM and Inland over the past year; the research is half the fun. The other half is shooting them!

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 03-04-2013 at 11:08 AM..
Old 03-04-2013, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundoc View Post
i think i might have some parts for your inland im new to the m1 carbine i'll try to post some pics and maybe some of you can help me identify the parts
This is my first M1 Carbine, would definitely be willing to trade/buy parts.

Old 03-05-2013, 4:27 PM

Well your hammer is from a IBM. Your trigger housing is from a National Postal Meter,Sear is Inland. I would be interested in buying your sight if I could close up pics of it. I need a flip sight. You have a typical mixmaster rebuild. I cannot see much detail of the stock but it may be a post war stock of some kind..Thanks and have fun,they are nice little rifles..PM if interested in selling the rear sight..
Old 03-06-2013, 8:16 AM

I had a chance to take it to the range and I was a little disappointed. With only 30 rounds, I had 3 FTE where the spent cartridge was jammed between the slide and the front of the receiver. I am thinking (hoping) that a detail strip and clean will help.

Anyway, I have ordered an Inland type 3 rear sight and will swap that out first.

During the detail strip I found the following parts.

Inland: Rec, Barrel, Front Sight, Sear, Mag Release (Type 4)
Underwood: Slide (Type 1)
IBM: Hammer (Type 3)
NPM: Trigger housing
Qual Hardware: Bolt (Round Type 3)
Other unknown post war: Barrel band (Type 3) marked JM, Safety (rotary) marked N.

If I do a complete spring replacement I will find out who made the extractor and firing pin.

Old 03-06-2013, 6:54 PM

That sounds like maybe a weak operating slide spring problem or possibly a weak ejector spring. Try a good cleaning first as you are going to try.

Also what type of ammo were you using? The bolts can be tricky to take apart and clean, and if you do not have the disassembly tool for the job I would suggest soaking it real good and spay it out the best you can with maybe some non chlorinated Brake cleaner..

Goodluck and let us know how it goes..
Old 03-06-2013, 7:33 PM

Remington UMC green box ammo.

If the cleaning doesn't solve the problem I will buy the bolt tool, and a complete spring kit and just tune it all the way up.

Old 03-06-2013, 8:00 PM

Well I have never had any trouble with that ammo in any of mine, so it is more likely not your problem. Heres a pretty good price on the tool. About as cheap as you will find one..

Not sure if GI but ask if you call. Looks to be GI to me however..
http://www.aaarmory.com/index.php?ma...products_id=63