Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-01-2013, 9:28 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Default funny gunshop story about a broomhandle

this happened recently -- I was at a gunstore to do a PPT with another calgunner. I was basically hanging about waiting for the buyer to show up. At this particulary store they had a "Red 9" Broomhandle Mauser. Another customer comes in and asks to see the Mauser.

As he is inspecting it, clerk makes the comment "neat gun, but ammo is going to be super expensive!". I couldn't help it so I said "9mm is super expensive?"
Clerks laugh as if I made a joke. I then repeat myself "that's a red 9, it shoots 9mm".

young clerk is clearly confused and asks older clerk to come over, who has even more attitude. I basically explain the history of the red 9, why they put a big ole red "9" on the grips. but to be safe I mention that they would have to confirm that the grips are original to the gun, but if they were then the gun does indeed shoot 9mm.

older clerk gets argumentative. Not wanting to cause an issue (and because I still needed to do the ppt), I basically drop the issue with a final comment of look it up, just google "red 9 and broomhandle mauser".

Customer shows renewed interest, makes the comment "now that I know that it shoots 9mm I can easily find ammo. probably not +P though"

older clerk says "why not? I would shoot +P in that all day long! Mauser, strongest handgun in the world. sure you can shoot +P. the thing has lasted 100 years, it will last another 100 years!"

Because I still had to do that PPT I bit my tongue, but under my breath to the customer I basically whispered "don't shoot +P in that".

For those of you unfamiliar with the broomhandle, there is only a little piece of metal that keeps the bolt from flying back in your face. This bolt stop has been known to crack with age.

Gotta love those gun store know it alls
Old 03-01-2013, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
this happened recently -- I was at a gunstore to do a PPT with another calgunner. I was basically hanging about waiting for the buyer to show up. At this particulary store they had a "Red 9" Broomhandle Mauser. Another customer comes in and asks to see the Mauser.

As he is inspecting it, clerk makes the comment "neat gun, but ammo is going to be super expensive!". I couldn't help it so I said "9mm is super expensive?"
Clerks laugh as if I made a joke. I then repeat myself "that's a red 9, it shoots 9mm".

young clerk is clearly confused and asks older clerk to come over, who has even more attitude. I basically explain the history of the red 9, why they put a big ole red "9" on the grips. but to be safe I mention that they would have to confirm that the grips are original to the gun, but if they were then the gun does indeed shoot 9mm.

older clerk gets argumentative. Not wanting to cause an issue (and because I still needed to do the ppt), I basically drop the issue with a final comment of look it up, just google "red 9 and broomhandle mauser".

Customer shows renewed interest, makes the comment "now that I know that it shoots 9mm I can easily find ammo. probably not +P though"

older clerk says "why not? I would shoot +P in that all day long! Mauser, strongest handgun in the world. sure you can shoot +P. the thing has lasted 100 years, it will last another 100 years!"

Because I still had to do that PPT I bit my tongue, but under my breath to the customer I basically whispered "don't shoot +P in that".

For those of you unfamiliar with the broomhandle, there is only a little piece of metal that keeps the bolt from flying back in your face. This bolt stop has been known to crack with age.

So, which Turners was this?

JK
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 PM

I don't understand why the sales guys don't just admit they don't know everything. First the older one doesn't know what a Red 9 is, then he says the 100 year old gun can handle +P that wasn't even around back when the C96 was designed? And the younger one should know what the Red 9 is because it was in one of the Resident Evil video games!
Old 03-02-2013, 1:47 AM

I once had a gun store salesman tell me that if a gun has a magazine disconnect then all you have to do is pull the magazine and the gun is totally safe... and then continued to state that since it also has an LCI then you dont have to pull back the slide to make sure the chamber is empty... hmmm... faulty mag disconnect + crud obscuring the red on the LCI= negligent discharge...
Old 03-02-2013, 6:36 AM

Gun store folks are no different than any other profession. Its a sign of the times. I see this kind of ineptitude in every industry. What blows my mind are two things. The ease of which one can gain knowledge these days, and the ability of these inept people to still make a living which is way over the standard of living in the world.

I had to get rude at a car dealership, because the lady kept reading from the internet site to explain to me what a specific feature was on one of their cars. I said lady, I know how to read just as well as you do, and I've already read the website, I'm asking you what the mechanism actually does, physicaly. She goes and gets the service manager..and he doesnt know.

what was it? it was some fancy phrasing for an electric anti-roll bar disconnect.
Old 03-02-2013, 7:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Seems you find the guy behind the counter at the gun store is either:
1. Ex Navy SEAL
2. Ex Army Special Forces, or
3. Ex law enforcement reserve

Years ago at one of the Turner's, one of the clerks made it a point to old west style finger twirl the handguns he was showing. Sometimes the entertainment value is worth the price of admission.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 03-02-2013, 7:20 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post

Let me guess....was the know it all clerk wearing BDU's, a drop leg, and a tactical beard? There is a lot to learn from gun store operators.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 AM

PWNAGE! Sweet!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Let me guess....was the know it all clerk wearing BDU's, a drop leg, and a tactical beard? There is a lot to learn from gun store operators.
LOL! I know that guy.

GREATER SACRAMENTO AREA REALTOR
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth.
Buy or sell with me and get a free gun!
BRE:#01443195 Realty First REO
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Never argue gun history with beetle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM

which gun store and how much was that red 9? i always want a C96 style of pistol, LOL....
Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezle56 View Post
I once had a gun store salesman tell me that if a gun has a magazine disconnect then all you have to do is pull the magazine and the gun is totally safe... and then continued to state that since it also has an LCI then you dont have to pull back the slide to make sure the chamber is empty... hmmm... faulty mag disconnect + crud obscuring the red on the LCI= negligent discharge...
I have a Star pistol where the LCI is always showing loaded despite chamber being empty so there goes that idea...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I went in to a LGS to do a PPT once and set the pistol case on the counter and unlocked it. The clerk unzipped one of the side pockets and saw a handful of 9mm FMJ in the pocket and tells me "you realize you are transporting a loaded pistol right?" I'm like "what? It's a Python that takes .357 MAG and no, it's not loaded". He says "Oh yeah it is, since you have ammo in the same container it's a loaded weapon, even though it isn't the right ammo for the gun". LOL
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle Bailey View Post
And the younger one should know what the Red 9 is because it was in one of the Resident Evil video games!
^^^ That right there is funny...