Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Default Classic Firearms vs Wideners: You Decide!

I feel compelled to share the following information and the juxtaposition that occurs when the two transactions are compared side by side. Approved FFL03 and customer information already on file with both companies prior to transactions.

Wideners
01/27/13 Mosin Nagant M44 ordered via C&R (In stock)

01/27/13 Email confirmation of order from Wideners. 14-24 days advised for processing and shipping

02/19/13 Email from me inquiring status of order.

02/22/13 Reply Email from Wideners. "Shipments are now delayed 15-25 days. Firearms even longer...the firearms market is completely overwhelmed". Email is polite but appears to be a generic form letter and does not include any shipping ETA.

Classic Firearms
02/21/13 Mosin Nagant M38 ordered via C&R (In Stock)

02/21/13 Confirmation email from Classic

02/21/13 Email from Classic that order cleared FFL requirements and is processing for shipping

02/22/13 Email from Classic that order has shipped. UPS Tracking number provided. Delivery date scheduled for 03/01/13

There is really no comparison between the level of customer service between the two companies. In both cases the items were advertised as in stock. Apologetic emails about the firearms market being "completely overwhelmed" (from Wideners email) don't really hold water when Classic is flipping and shipping the same product in 24 hours or less.

I just thought you FFL03's would find this information useful.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Oh, and I should add: Shipping from Classic was about $19. Wideners shipping was about $26.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 AM

To be fair to wideners in the shipping time, they do deal in a wider product range, and most of their orders are probably reloading related.

Classic also had a very long wait time last month, and like widener's they just give you a general time frame (they were up to 4 weeks at one point IIRC). They probably ship faster now perhaps becuase they sell less than widener's now due to having a smaller catalog and a lot of their items being out of stock.

Of the two, I do prefer classic, but I prefer AIM and j&g over both.
Old 02-24-2013, 1:13 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-B-Man View Post
To be fair to wideners in the shipping time, they do deal in a wider product range, and most of their orders are probably reloading related.

Classic also had a very long wait time last month, and like widener's they just give you a general time frame (they were up to 4 weeks at one point IIRC). They probably ship faster now perhaps becuase they sell less than widener's now due to having a smaller catalog and a lot of their items being out of stock.

Of the two, I do prefer classic, but I prefer AIM and j&g over both.
I have used all of the above and would continue to, especially given the variety of product and random nature in which C&R rifles appear for sale. It just seems like Classic tries a little harder to get orders out the door in a timely manner.
Old 02-24-2013, 3:47 AM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

i don't like the fact Wideners charges your card then takes weeks it appears to ship. I know they charged mine 2 days after order.

Never ordered a firearm from Wideners. Will have to see what arrives.

-178S
Old 02-24-2013, 5:47 AM

Have ordered firearms from both without problems before. In fact, I ordered a CZ 82 from classic firearms just last month and it took three weeks to finally ship and there weren't much communication at all, but I was expecting this given all the madness.
Old 02-24-2013, 6:57 AM

Wideners is good (in my past experience) just not very fast. But when you order it, you definitely receive it. I have never ordered from Classic.

Southern Ohio Gun is quite fast also, I ordered 2 Chinese T53s recently and hand them in hand in just over a week from ordering them. And the rifles were very nice too.

WTB: Colt Trooper 357, Webley 45, S&W Victory 38 in NorCal: Link

Please use PMs only, do not use Chat as I cannot receive chat messages on a mobile device, thanks!
Old 02-24-2013, 8:30 AM

When I was in the market for a K31 two years ago, I called Wideners and actually spoke to the guy who looked in the crate and talked about the condition of the rifles. I haven't had this experience with any other vendor.

When I ordered by M44 from them mid-December, yes, the experience was slow, but yes, all this insanity began then too.

Wideners is a good outfit, but they are more of a shooting store than an online retailer. I think all this panic buying has overwhelmed them, and that they are expecting it to calm down at some point. Of course, if it doesn't, they'll have to upgrade their systems or get beaten out by places like Classic.
Old 02-24-2013, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
... when Classic is flipping and shipping the same product in 24 hours or less.
I have never bought from Wideners, but I think you got lucky on this batch from classic. They posted on another forum about the M38s they just sold,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicFirearms
We ship first come first serve. Since this gun is very popular even a few hours in could have put you behind 100's of customers.

Early birds(i.e. first 50) managed to get their orders shipped the next day.
I ordered mine the 21st, and it hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully it will Monday or Tuesday, but considering they sold over 900 rifles in about 48 hours, and mine was in the 700 neighborhood, I am expecting it to be a few days.
Old 02-24-2013, 8:58 AM

Never had any issues with classicarms, they are my go to online company for c&r firearms. The online ordering system they've been using for the last year is excellent (their old one was kind of crappy).

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

I ordered a M44 from Wideners a few days before SHTF, I had a few questions via email and they responded within minutes. My shipment went out soon and I received my order the week everthing started to go crazy. After that everthing went on delay. Some places were better prepared no question. My point being if things were normal, shipping communications etc would be normal as well. Things still arent back to normal

I think your juxtaposition is a little bit apples and oranges. Classic's primary focus is selling surplus arms. ( they have their own delays and the M38's i orders 3 days ago still havent shipped)

Wideners is a reloading/ammo supply that sells a few firearms on the side. Demand for reloading stuff is astronomical right now.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

This thread was meant as information only. I will continue to patronize Wideners when they have something I want. The M44 I got there a month ago is matching and flawless, almost too pretty to shoot (almost).
Old 02-25-2013, 3:58 AM

Thanks for the post. We just recently recovered from the avalanche of orders in late December/January.

Now we are back on track to 1-2 day turn around for shipments.
Old 02-25-2013, 7:21 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Good to know Bobby. I have bought from Wideners, they took about 45 days to ship my M44. I will try Classic next time.
Old 02-25-2013, 8:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
I ordered mine the 21st, and it hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully it will Monday or Tuesday, but considering they sold over 900 rifles in about 48 hours, and mine was in the 700 neighborhood, I am expecting it to be a few days.
Got the tracking number this morning. I placed my order after their business hours Thursday, so shipped 2 days later, can't complain about that at all.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Way to go Classic Arms!
I bought a Laminate 91-30 (which is beautiful rifle;btw and no I don't want to sell it) from Classic Arms a coupe of years ago. The whole process was much easier and faster than some other companies I've dealt with, no mus-no fus. Shipping time was pretty quick too
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 02-25-2013, 6:59 PM

I bought a Yugo SKS from Wideners and, while I am extremely happy with the rifle so far (finally received it today) their customer service sucks to put it bluntly.

First of all their website effed up and didnt process my order so I had to call to place it, and the lady on the phone told me that "they are getting caught up on firearm shipments and your rifle will be going out by the end of next week."

I call the following friday to get a tracking number (since I needed to make sure someone was home to sign for it) only to find out that their phone is completely turned off . I email and wait for a reply.

I get a reply a day later stating "Your order will be shipped out by the end of the week." and continue to get this exact copy and pasted response for the next 3 weeks!

I dont really have a problem with them being backed up but dont keep telling me that its going to ship out this week. It just seems ****ty from a customer service standpoint.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Nothing beats buying in person from other Calgunners.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM

Looks like they are sold out of M44 again .. Ordered mine on 2/13, doesn't look like it shipped yet, hopefully soon
Old 02-26-2013, 5:15 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicFirearms View Post
Thanks for the post. We just recently recovered from the avalanche of orders in late December/January.

Now we are back on track to 1-2 day turn around for shipments.
I am a certified Classic Firearms fan. All of the surplus Chinese SKS I received from Classic were all WIN. I'm sure the M38 will be more of the same.
Old 03-01-2013, 4:49 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

And after all of that......

They both arrive on the same day.......