Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 02-21-2013, 6:55 PM

Default PO Box on CDL as the SELLER in a PPT

Hello. I was planning to sell some rifles via PPT at an FFL. My California Drivers License just has my PO Box on it instead of my home address. I know this causes problems as a buyer, but will it cause problems if I am the seller? Will I need some other form of ID? What if I put the rifles on consignment with the FFL instead of doing a standard PPT. Any different? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 5:02 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't know of any issue with doing the PPT, but if the buyer is denied, then you would need a government document with your address on it in order to get the firearm back. I am not sure of what the requirements are with respect to the FDAS (secondhand dealer).

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-22-2013, 6:47 AM
Veteran Member

The DROS software will not allow a P.O. Box on either the seller or the buyer. I had this happen last week. I asked for the seller's address and hand entered it. If the buyer is denied, i will probably get some form of ID from the seller with his address on it before releasing the firearm back to him for my records.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post
The DROS software will not allow a P.O. Box on either the seller or the buyer. I had this happen last week. I asked for the seller's address and hand entered it.
Yes, but there is no documentation requirement that I know of.

Quote:
If the buyer is denied, i will probably get some form of ID from the seller with his address on it before releasing the firearm back to him for my records.
Since you need to fill out the 4473 for the return of the firearm, all the ID rules apply for the Feds.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
...but if the buyer is denied, then you would need a government document with your address on it in order to get the firearm back.
Would my CDL with a PO Box on it combined with a property tax bill with my name and physical address on it work? Or does the document with my actual address have to be a photo ID? My property tax bill is the only government "document" I have with my physical address on it.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

It has to be a government document, but it does not have to all be on the photo ID. I think that the tax bill would work, but Wes would be a better person to ask.

Old 02-23-2013, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by courteousgavin View Post
Would my CDL with a PO Box on it combined with a property tax bill with my name and physical address on it work? Or does the document with my actual address have to be a photo ID? My property tax bill is the only government "document" I have with my physical address on it.
This is exactly what I used for the handgun I picked up last week. CDL with a PO Box and a property tax bill. My FFL also told me that I could have my fire chief write a letter on department letter head stating that I live at my address if I could not find a property tax bill (lucky for me my wife is good about filing all of that stuff). Apparently he (my FFL) ran into a similar situation where a LEO was in the same situation but did not have a property tax bill because he was living with his GF and she owned the house. My FFL called BATFE and they said a letter from the chief would be sufficient.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

- Mark Twain

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 02-26-2013, 9:04 PM

Thanks for the info everybody.
Old 03-01-2013, 2:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sadly some FFLs flat out REFUSE to sell to a person with a PO Box on their DL, no matter what other documents you provide.

DMV will only publish the PO Box on my DL, not my physical address or both my PO and physical address; even though they have my physical address.

Such is life.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."- Ernest Hemingway
Old 03-01-2013, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Having a PO Box on your ID/DL is the same as having your old address on it, but there is nothing to stop someone from being stupid. I would like to see the justification from those FFLs as to why. The instructions on the 4473 make it clear what you need.