Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
obiwan obiwan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanish Springs, NV
Posts: 676
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default 1 rifle 2 scopes

I recently acquired a Remington 700 R5 in 308, I would like to use the rifle for double duty, game hunting and long range bench shooting.

I'm leaning towards the Bushnell Tactical 6-24X50 for bench work and a Nikon Buckmaster 3.9X40 BDC for hunting.

I have not shot with a scope in decades, forgotten more than I probably learned, does this seem like a reasonable set up and are the scopes well matched to the objectives?

TIA
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-27-2013, 1:22 PM
skkeeter's Avatar
skkeeter skkeeter is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Lost Coast
Posts: 2,704
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Yes, they will work just fine. But are there better options, absolutely. What your optics budget?
__________________
Billy Goat Machine
07 FFL Rifle Builder
www.billygoatmachine.com
.

.
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!

We'll shoot at flat-hatters and gang bangers!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2013, 1:39 PM
obiwan obiwan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanish Springs, NV
Posts: 676
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Currently have around $1500 to spend on an optic, I would be content with purchasing 1 at this time and saving for another a few months down the road.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2013, 1:55 PM
GeoffLinder's Avatar
GeoffLinder GeoffLinder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 2,425
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Allow $1100 for the target optic and $400 for the hunting scope and you will be able to get pretty decent glass for both uses.

The Leupold VX-3L series will do a decent job for target usage.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...l-riflescopes/

The Redfield Revolution line will work well for hunting:
http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2013, 2:04 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,598
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

You could compromise and go with the Bushnell 3-12X44 FFP. 12X magnification should be good for long range shooting at steel out to 1000 yards or more. At 3X, the reticle on these ends up looking like a fine duplex, so even close range hunting in brush would be possible.

I'm currently running one of these on an SPR. With the G2DMR reticle it is extremely well suited to the multi use requirements of that rifle. I can shoot accurately out to 800 yards or more without even dialing the adjustment on the scope just by using holdover points on the reticle. Transitioning between targets at various ranges is extremely fast and easy once you get used to using the reticle to compensate.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2013, 2:19 PM
obiwan obiwan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanish Springs, NV
Posts: 676
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
You could compromise and go with the Bushnell 3-12X44 FFP. 12X magnification should be good for long range shooting at steel out to 1000 yards or more. At 3X, the reticle on these ends up looking like a fine duplex, so even close range hunting in brush would be possible.

I'm currently running one of these on an SPR. With the G2DMR reticle it is extremely well suited to the multi use requirements of that rifle. I can shoot accurately out to 800 yards or more without even dialing the adjustment on the scope just by using holdover points on the reticle. Transitioning between targets at various ranges is extremely fast and easy once you get used to using the reticle to compensate.
This one?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2013, 5:45 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,598
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
This one?
Wow, I didn't know they had an illuminated version. It's not listed on their website. Thats pretty cool if it actually is. I got the non illuminated version of the scope here for quite a bit less:

http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/BUS-E...G_p_18051.html
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2013, 6:41 PM
obiwan obiwan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanish Springs, NV
Posts: 676
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

It is listed here http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-s...inated-mil-dot
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2013, 6:43 PM
snorky snorky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 454
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Make sure you get a high quality scope mount for both so your scopes will hold their zero throughout multiple mountings and removals. If you haven't already, I'd suggest watching Art of the Precision Rifle.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2013, 6:46 PM
KaTooM's Avatar
KaTooM KaTooM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,023
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Two Girls...one cup.
__________________
NRA life member
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-27-2013, 7:33 PM
obiwan obiwan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanish Springs, NV
Posts: 676
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorky View Post
Make sure you get a high quality scope mount for both so your scopes will hold their zero throughout multiple mountings and removals. If you haven't already, I'd suggest watching Art of the Precision Rifle.
Are one piece mounts a better choice if mounting/dismounting is a factor?

Do one piece mounts place the optic higher on the rail than a pair of rings?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-27-2013, 8:01 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,598
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
Only the mil dot and BTR-mil reticles are illuminated. The description isn't written very well, but only those two are listed as having illumination. I'd contact the seller on Amazon and see if you can get a model number for that scope you originally posted. If it's the same as the standard non-illuminated G2DMR scope I woul shop somewhere else as that price is quite high.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-27-2013, 8:42 PM
GeoffLinder's Avatar
GeoffLinder GeoffLinder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 2,425
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
Are one piece mounts a better choice if mounting/dismounting is a factor?

Do one piece mounts place the optic higher on the rail than a pair of rings?
One piece mounts give same rise as rings depending on which ones you choose. The Armalite one piece mounts are known to RTZ (return to zero). You would get one for each scope, then zero each scope/mount combo and then you can switch out as needed. You need to have a piece of contiguous rail on top of the receiver to use this type of mount.

http://www.armalite.com/Categories.a...5-6586ae8e163f
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-27-2013, 9:18 PM
snorky snorky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 454
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
Are one piece mounts a better choice if mounting/dismounting is a factor?

Do one piece mounts place the optic higher on the rail than a pair of rings?
If I were to be removing my scope and putting it back on, I would choose a LaRue one piece QD mount because I know it will be torqued down the same amount EVERY time I mount it. With rings, it might vary, throwing off your zero.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-05-2013, 1:03 PM
obiwan obiwan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanish Springs, NV
Posts: 676
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

After contacting Amazon customer service and they verify that it was in fact illuminated I ordered, only to be dissapointed today when it arrived and find it is not illuminated. Now I have to wait to return and get the refund only to order from another vendor...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-05-2013, 1:07 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,598
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
After contacting Amazon customer service and they verify that it was in fact illuminated I ordered, only to be dissapointed today when it arrived and find it is not illuminated. Now I have to wait to return and get the refund only to order from another vendor...
That sucks. Note to self: Do not trust Amazon C/S to know anything about rifle scopes On a positive note though, you'll really like that scope once you pick one up at a better price.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-05-2013, 3:08 PM
freonr22's Avatar
freonr22 freonr22 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose
Posts: 11,821
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-45-1...-B-P61812.aspx

or others

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx
__________________
<img src=http://calgunsfoundation.org/images/stories/San-Benito.jpg border=0 alt= />[IMG]file:///C:/Users/PCMECH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/PCMECH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisianagirl View Post
Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-05-2013, 4:40 PM
negolien's Avatar
negolien negolien is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,649
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default humm

As a suggestion you might want to go with a Nikon Buckmaster in the 4.5 or higher mag for long range and a red dot or Nikon M223 for hunting. Nikon has very good value for what you pay.
__________________
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Whiterabbit Whiterabbit is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,407
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
I recently acquired a Remington 700 R5 in 308, I would like to use the rifle for double duty, game hunting and long range bench shooting.

I'm leaning towards the Bushnell Tactical 6-24X50 for bench work and a Nikon Buckmaster 3.9X40 BDC for hunting.

I have not shot with a scope in decades, forgotten more than I probably learned, does this seem like a reasonable set up and are the scopes well matched to the objectives?

TIA
OR, as an alternative suggestion, you get both and pick up something *like* the Votex viper PST 2.5-10. You'll be set at LEAST from pointblank offhand to 1000 yards bench. At least.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:31 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.