Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-15-2013, 1:58 PM

Default Rifle Scope for M700 XCR Tactical Long Range 300 Win Mag

Ordered my first rifle and need help choosing a scope. After doing research in store and all over the web I decided to put the money into the glass and not the rifle. I'll get a precision rifle when I can shoot precision shots. I do need a high quality scope to get there and need your help to narrow down the list.

I found one scope I really liked, it is the Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II/LP/MTC. The dealer tells me I cannot go wrong, but this scope is $3,700. I phoned Nightforce and they recommend the Atacr. I am sure each factory will recommend something nice, but I would prefer recommendations. Still waiting for a call back from USO.

Since I am a new to shooting long range I want to be sure a scope will work from 100 yrds to 1000 yrds. I would like it to be easy to use and acquire very quickly. I prefer First Focal Plane. My rifle is a M700 XCR Long Range Tactical chambered in 300 Win Mag.

Questions;

Are there high quality scopes under $3000?
How long can I expect a scope to last?
Are all the scopes as this price range rugged?
What other scopes should I look at?

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.
Old 02-15-2013, 5:18 PM
Banned in Amsterdam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I just bought one of these from Leupold: http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...iflescope.html

The H58 reticle offers some quick ranging and adjustments for elevation / wind, easier and more precisely than a strict mil-dot.

From what I've read, having lower magnifications available can be helpful in tracking your shot and reading the winds.

And... I'm just a Leupold fan. I have several of their scopes, and never had an issue.

The only problem being the scope is $3,099, so not under your $3k cap.

I was going to purchase the Schmidt & Bender scope, but couldn't convince myself that the extra cost was worth it over the Leupold. It's one of those value trade offs that I chose to decline, others may (and clearly do) feel differently.

"Shot placement trumps all."

Old 02-15-2013, 5:32 PM

I think you will be happier in the long run with something that has under 6x power at the low end. Take a look at this Leupold:

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scop...-18x44mm-34mm/

3-18x would be a very suitable range for shooting out to and beyond 1000 yards IMHO while still offering wide field of view at shorter ranges.

When shooting extreme long ranges you should be using a combination of binoculars and a high powered spotting scope for detailed scouting of the area, not the rifle scope itself.
Old 02-15-2013, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

You can't go wrong with that Schmidt you mentioned. I do own that exact scope but I also own a Premier 5-25x56mm... I prefer the Premier... I think the overall picture is superior... the clicks are just a tad better, and I love the reticle.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 02-15-2013, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

Oh I should mention, I prefer the zoom ring and parallax knob on the S&B.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 02-15-2013, 7:09 PM

USO 3.2-17x will easily get you to 1000yds and keep you under $3k
The USO 5-25x starts under $3k, but as soon as you start making changes from the standard configuration it puts you over $3k but not by too much.

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 02-15-2013, 7:12 PM
Veteran Member

I'd go with a Bushnell HDMR in either the H59 or G2DMR reticle. They have gained a pretty decent reputation for tracking, durability and glass quality over the last year or so. The 3.5-21 magnification range and FFP design should allow for a very broad range of use.
Old 02-16-2013, 6:41 AM
Veteran Member

I really need to look through one of these bushies someday. Everyone talking bout them.
Old 02-16-2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payshunce View Post
Ordered my first rifle and need help choosing a scope.
Since I am a new to shooting long range I want to be sure a scope will work from 100 yrds to 1000 yrds. I prefer First Focal Plane.

Are there high quality scopes under $3000?
How long can I expect a scope to last?
Are all the scopes as this price range rugged?
What other scopes should I look at?
You are so far out of your league that the head spins. A .300 Win mag is a BAD choice for a first rifle. You have no idea that you "prefer" First Focal Plane. And there are high quality scopes under $500, let alone $3k.

You should find yourself a local mentor who knows his ***** from a hole in the ground, and start with a .223 or .308, with a $300-500 scope, and learn to walk before you develop a lifelong flinch and an empty wallet. Pardon the candor, but what you're contemplating is friggin' crazy.
Old 02-16-2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haler View Post
You are so far out of your league that the head spins. A .300 Win mag is a BAD choice for a first rifle. You have no idea that you "prefer" First Focal Plane. And there are high quality scopes under $500, let alone $3k.

You should find yourself a local mentor who knows his ***** from a hole in the ground, and start with a .223 or .308, with a $300-500 scope, and learn to walk before you develop a lifelong flinch and an empty wallet. Pardon the candor, but what you're contemplating is friggin' crazy.
You are definitely correct about the .300 Win Mag being a flincher of the first magnitude! Never shot one before, don't have a muzzle brake on it, don't have a sissy pad on the stock, you will learn a very hard lesson your first couple of shots, especially if you shoot them prone

I also agree about .308 as a great choice for first rifle if you want to shoot LD.

The .300 WM is definitely a pocket buster ammo cost-wise compared to .308, especially if you do not reload.
Old 02-16-2013, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe he loves pain? I just noticed the OP said its his "first rifle".

300 winmag... without the proper training, it wont matter what scope you get... you won't be hitting much with any real precision. :P
Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 PM

If he buys a Savage 110 BA in .300 mag he wont have to worry about recoil, since mine with scope weighs almost 18 lbs, But what he will experiance is a horrendous muzzle blast , specially if he is shooting under an awning. I put in over 3500 rounds of .308 thru a 13 pound Savage before I got the .300 mag. I agree that a .300 is a poor place to start, specially since most of the .300 mags do not weigh as much as mine. Oh, I have an IOR 6x24x56 scope on the .300, which is great for long range. Its sells for around 2K. I had a much less expensive scope on the .308, and it did just fine for the learning curve.
Old 02-26-2013, 7:51 PM

might help us out if you post your location. I have a nightforce, and sightrons, but I started with a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x. Its $199 at midway and will help you determine what you want in future scopes. Id spend money now on ammo - figuring out what your gun likes to shoot is very important to accuracy; setup: bipod, rear bag, rangefinder, weather meter, ballistic calculator, spotting scope, shooting mat, long range targets, ect... and a course at a long range shooting school.

Once you have spent some trigger time behind the gun, and had the chance to see what scopes other people are using, you will have a much better idea of what kind of scope you want.

Last edited by calshipbuilder; 02-26-2013 at 8:13 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 9:26 PM

The Dude made 1 post, then split

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
The Dude made 1 post, then split
He may have fired it once and is still recoiling from it