Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 5:22 PM

Default two IDPA events near San Diego this weekend

On the 23rd is an IDPA shoot at Pala.
On the 24th is an IDPA qualifier over at Iron Sights in Oceanside.

I may not be making it to the 24th, as I don't have my membership packet yet and I might not be able to get my times recorded. Also, there's the Jr Pistol shoot that they need coaches for on the 24th at E

Anyone making it to either IDPA events? It would be interesting to see Calgunners there!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 PM
CGSSA Associate

I usually try to get to IS for the IDPA, but I don't think I'd advance in the qualifier yet (currently MM). I recommend it to anyone interested in IDPA. They are a great bunch of people who aren't going to give you any attitude. And if you need to shoot the qualifier, it's all about learning the COF and practice, practice.
Old 02-23-2013, 1:49 PM

short report: the Pala match was a LOT of fun. I recommend it for any gun owner who wants to test himself and figure out where he needs to improve. Not sure if I'm going to make it to the qualifier tomorrow since I really feel like I have to be one of the coaches at the Jr Pistol shoot at EFGA.
Old 02-23-2013, 5:27 PM

Long report, same as what I posted to facebook:

Today, we had six stages for IDPA. Unfortunately, we did not get to use the Kill House stage, which I am told is the most fun. I don't have my scores yet, but I generally know how I did in each.

First stage consists of 2 targets with 1 target in between them designated as the "no shoot" target, about 5 yards away. Fire two shots into the body of each designated target, then into the head of each. This one is fairly standard; we didn't have to move or get behind cover. It starts with your hands up, draw your weapon, and execute the course of fire. This is the one where I drop the magazine. Twice in a row. Seriously embarrassing. This is the easiest stage, and I managed to get through it without any procedural errors or misses either technical or overt misses.

The second stage starts out with you carrying a briefcase. At the beep, start walking and when you get to within 2 yards of the briefcase target, throw the briefcase at it. It's just sticks sticking up out of a target stand; you have to hit the sticks in order to not get a procedure error. When you've thrown the briefcase, draw your weapon, and fire into the downed target that's about 3 yards away, two to the body, one to the head. Walk past the first barricade and without stopping, fire at the popper target in the gap between barricades, knocking it down. Continue walking past the second barricade and fire at the second popper target, knocking it down, without stopping. Stop at the third barricade, remain behind cover fire at two targets that are behind cover, hitting 2 in the body and 1 in the head for each target. This is where I get my first technical miss. I'm so intent on doing head shots, since I had been training ONLY head shots, that I MISS 1 body shot and hit the head twice on the last two targets. I also hesitate in stepping on the first popper target and got deducted some points, but started immediately moving again when told.

The third stage has 3 targets. The first target is one where you have to shoot through a very small opening in head portion of the target. Shooting below the hole means you have killed the hostage and shooting above the hole means you've failed to neutralize the target and he kills the hostage. You get more points deducted if you kill the hostage yourself. So, what happens is you're standing with your back to the target, step forward, pivot around to face the target, draw your weapon, and fire once. Start stepping backwards, and while moving, shoot 2 in the body and 1 in the head into the next two targets. On this stage when I pivot and fire, I see the white index card fly off and thought, wow, I hit it, but in reality, I shot above it and the muzzle blast blew it off. Fail to neutralize target, hostage killed by target.

The targets at most are 7 yards away in the third stage.

The fourth stage starts with you walking slowly backwards, shooting at 3 targets with 2 rounds in the body and 1 in the head. When you're done with that, move to behind cover and move backwards until you see the next target. Stay behind cover and put two rounds into the body. The next target represents the target you just shot falling down. Put two rounds into the body and 1 to the head. Move to the behind the last barrel and fire at the furthest target you can see, put two rounds to the body and 1 to the head. This one, I didn't get called out for not moving or for not being behind cover, but did get deducted and called out for a procedural error by forgetting to shoot the downed target, which I did when it was pointed out. No misses here. The closest targets were 5 yards away and the furthest target was 15 yards away.

The fifth stage is the "running man" stage. This is because you have 5 targets, the furthest at 15 yards, which get progressively closer and are placed to the left or right. This represents a person running at you. To mix things up a bit, there is another target, a hostage at 20 yards away. Do not hit the hostage. So, you would start at the furthest target, putting 1 in that, 1 in the next, two in the next, two in the next, then 2 in the body and 1 in the head in the last target. No technical or overt misses in this one, and I didn't hit the hostage. Although, I see by the taped up holes, a few people in the previous squads managed to hit the edges of the hostage target. This is an interesting one. The way that I worked this one was to move to the right and shoot an an angle at the first target, missing the hostage, the move to the left, hitting all the other targets, also missing the hostage.

The sixth and most interesting stage is the "kill town" stage. This one is composed of a bunch of facades of buildings, with targets hiding behind them and a street between the facades. There are open doorways, gaps between the buildings, fences and open windows to fire through. In all, there are 9 targets, 3 on the left side and 6 on the right. So what you do is you walk down the 'street', looking left and right for targets to appear, and when they do, engage them with 2 rounds to the body. I know that I need to fire to the right, left, right, left, and then veer into the right wall, fire left, then find and fire at the rest of the targets on the right. All in all, I didn't get any technical or overt misses, there were no procedure errors and I didn't hit any of the facades or barricades. From the way I was positioning myself, the targets where anywhere from 3 yards to 10 yards.

The feeling and flavor from this match is the same as when I spar. I'm nervous right before my turn, but the second I start to fire, the second I start throwing punches, it's the same, and things come into sharp relief and focus. When that buzzer rings, there's a mental click and everything that I've been rehearsing in my head starts to execute one by one. One thing that I notice is that for some reason, I *don't* need to bring the bill of my cap down to occlude my left eye and keep both eyes open while shooting. What's going on here? I'm focusing on the front sight and lining it up with the rear sights and aligning it with the middle of the target, but I've got both eyes open and my sight picture is clear.

The conclusion? From looking at the holes made and looking at what everyone else is doing, I fall in the middle of the scores, when taking into account the amount of time used, procedure errors and accuracy. I didn't kill any hostages, and throughout the entire thing, for all six stages, my handling of my firearm was safely done. While this in no way makes me the next "urban commando", it does test the skills I've been training for a while, and they've started paying off, since I tend to be more accurate with my shots than the average person in mine and other squads.

I encourage ALL my gun owner friends to compete in IDPA, steel combat shoots, USPSA and IPSC. You will be tested on what you know and it will let you plan how you will tackle the skills you need to improve.

For me, the skills that need improving are: drawing from concealment quickly, being able to do mozambiques reliably instead of just firing at the head all of the time, walking forward/backwards/sideways and shooting, and staying behind cover when multiple targets present themselves.

What's next? X3 multi-gun! For that, I will need a shotgun, which are fairly cheap and is possibly the only firearm to have ammo available to be purchased.
Old 02-25-2013, 5:17 PM

if you live in SD and are into IDPA i seem to be at one every saturday, fwiw.

1st and 3rd saturdays i shoot at lemon grove gun club out at alpine.
2nd and 4th saturdays i shoot at pala.
one thursday a month i hit the man vs man or fun steel at oceanside/iron sights
about every other month i also go up to chino for a prado idpa match.

i'm fairly serious about idpa, so if you want to practice or get into it, just let me know......

USPSA- Production Master, L-10 A
IDPA- ESP, SSP Master
Old 02-25-2013, 7:58 PM

Cool! I won't be at the one on March 9th (gunshow and all that), but I'll be at Pala (hopefully) shooting 3gun on the 10th with my brother. On the 23rd, I'll be at Pala for IDPA and maybe shooting the classifier on the 24th (if they have one) at Iron Sights. Which club does the one in Alpine? Is there a match on the 16th and 30th?

This is great fun to do, and I hope to do it at least twice a month.
Old 02-25-2013, 8:25 PM

in alpine HERE

first saturday is 'action hand gun' and third saturday is an idpa match. they also do some 3 gun there as well.

hopefully i'll be able to join that club in the coming year. its much closer than pala to my house. i'll be there this sat the 2nd.

san diego tactical shooters will have idpa matches at Pala on saturdays the 16th and 30th yes.

USPSA- Production Master, L-10 A
IDPA- ESP, SSP Master