Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM

Default AAR - Frank Proctor Performance Pistol - Feb. 23 & 24, 2013

Frank Proctor – Performance Pistol
Hosted by Valor Resource Group

Overview: This was an advanced pistol course geared toward the competitive shooter, with frequent comparison and analysis about the operational/law enforcement viability of the competitive techniques. The emphasis was on efficiency, with a focus on seeing quickly, processing quickly and acting on that information. There was also an emphasis on feeling and seeing what the gun was telling you. Each evolution was designed to re-enforce the math of target plus sights equals trigger with no delay.

Course Dates: February 23 and 24, 2013

Teaching Approach: The course approach was a crawl, walk, run model. All courses of fire were fully explained, then demonstrated. Each shooter was able to get multiple reps of an evolution before pressure was applied through either use of a shot timer or man on man competition – Thunderdome style.

Rounds Fired: Round count was approximately 1400 to 1600 pistol rounds. Winners in the bracketed challenges shot a bit more. There was also plenty of "free time" at lunch and dinner breaks to practice various elements.

Range to Targets: Ranges varied from five yards to twenty-five yards.
Target Types: Targets included five inch blacked out bullseyes, IPSC paper silhouettes, 3x5 cards to simulate the size of an IPSC A Zone at 25 yards, IPSC "A" zones, IPSC A, B, C zone steel and 5" round steel. Most evolutions incorporated steel for instant feedback.

Class Size: Class size was approximately ten students, allowing for lots of personalized instruction, analysis and advice. Shooters ranged from intermediate to advanced. Ammo prices are causing student attendance to drop in these types of courses, which translates into great instructor to student ratio for those who still attend. Maybe there is a silver lining.
Weapons and Class Participants: Most common were Glock 17s and 34/35s (with one G19). Also present were one several M&P 9s, and one STI 2011 in 9mm. Very few malfunctions were observed, and those appeared to be ammunition related. We also got to play with a sweet Taran Butler customized G24, an amazing CZ Custom Shadow and some killer full house 2011s. Class participants included avid IPSC competitors, law enforcement officers and dedicated shooting enthusiasts.

Facility: The facility was Burro Canyon, north of Los Angeles. Weather conditions ranged from 35 degrees to 65 degrees, breezy to windy and sunny.

Overall Impression. This was a great course given by an instructor who clearly likes what he is doing and loves the sport. It is also clear that the instructor questions everything in his search for efficiency and is always evolving in his own technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkgSM...l2d0mN-Un5_X-w

Much of the video from this trailer was shot during this class.

Rough Course Outline (provided to give overview of skills learned - may be out of order and incomplete)

1. Safety Brief and Medical Plan.

2. Course Focus – Performance Shooting, defined as applying the correct ratio of speed and accuracy for a given situation.

3. Principles of Performance Shooting

a. There are only a handful of things we are doing when shooting, including:

i. Controlling the gun – this includes managing recoil and manipulating the trigger.

ii. Seeing – seeing is a big deal, and includes seeing quickly, processing the information quickly, judging distance and gauging how much sight alignment and sight picture is required for a given target, and sight tracking.

iii. Mechanics of putting it all together; and

iv. Movement, or the act of moving whether transitioning from target to target or actually moving through a course of fire.

b. Recoil Management

i. Grip is key in recoil management

1. To maximize the efficiency of grip, use a high, thumbs forward grip

ii. Recoil management drill

1. Five rounds, from the holster, in under 2.5 seconds on a 5" black bullseye.

2. Multiple strings of five.

c. Isoscilism – also key in recoil management

i. Isoscilism means arms are generally in an isosceles triangle, with two somewhat equal sides

ii. Elbow position, down at 45 degrees, and slightly unlocked. Locked elbows transmit the recoil straight through the skeletal system, and prevent the arms from acting as shock absorbers.

d. Sight Tracking

i. Sight Tracking Drill

1. Five rounds on black bullseye, try to focus equally on all three of the rear sight, front sight and target. Fire at a pace of about half a second per round, and work on seeing what is going on with the sights. Just get used to relaxing and seeing what is happening. Start at 5 then push back to 15 yards.

e. Focus vs. Awareness

i. When you focus intently on something, your awareness of what is going on at the edge/periphery of your vision drops. Work to balance focus with awareness.

f. Sight Alignment Experiment

i. At different yardages experiment by maintaining center sight picture, but pushing sight alignment right, left, up and down, by aligning the front sight with the right, left, top and bottom of the rear sight channel. You can get away with varying amounts of imperfect sight alignment at different distances. Be aware, at greater distances, imperfect sight alignment with off center sight picture will result in a miss.

g. Trigger Management Experiment

i. You also don't always need a perfect press to the rear. Experiment at different distances to see how much imperfection in trigger management you can get away with.

h. Draw Efficiency

i. From the draw, the pistol should immediately move to parallel to the ground (oriented toward the target) and move up like an escalator.

i. Shooting on the Move

i. Use your legs to absorb the impact of your feet hitting the ground

ii. Unlock elbows a bit more

iii. Shorten your height, to permit the legs more vertical travel for shock absorbtion

iv. Shorten the stride to minimize the shock caused by feet hitting the ground

v. Several courses of fire confirmed that it is actually faster to shoot on the move than to sprint from position to position, lock up and shoot. It certainly feels faster to sprint then shoot. Shooting while moving was also faster than shooting all targets from the start point.

j. Eye Speed and Transitions

i. Move the eyes quickly

ii. Shooting cadence is also faster overall than double tapping each target.

k. When its Time to Move

i. If you are going more than a step, it is faster to break the gun free, keep it up high and move.

l. Dynamic Walk Back Drill

i. Shot at 5, 15 and 25 yards on steel

ii. From the holster, fire five shots, experimenting on how much sight picture, sight alignment and trigger control you need at different distances.

iii. Par at 5 yards is 2.5 seconds, at 15 yards, 3.5 seconds and at 25 yards, 4.5 seconds.

m. Strong Hand and Weak Hand Recoil Control

i. Same drill as Dynamic Walk Back Drill but with strong hand only and weak hand only

ii. Solid shooting position is required to shoot quickly

iii. Off hand must be secured.

Overall, it was a great weekend of shooting, experimenting and learning. There were lots of opportunities for repetition.

I am sure I missed some key parts in my haste to get this posted before a busy week starts. I hope others in the class will elaborate where necessary. It was great to shoot with Frank and many old and new friends.

I know Phong will have some awesome video up soon. In the mean time, there is a lot of good Frank Proctor stuff here: https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperSetCA

Last edited by SvenFrost; 03-02-2013 at 3:34 PM.. Reason: Video Link
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 PM

Outstanding AAR. As Frank complimented you continuously Mr. "Smooth".

We had a lot of great shooters and the ultimate instructor/shooter/student in Frank.

Reasoning, progression, efficiencies, demoes, one-on-one assists/instruction/coaching/diagnostics, competing, learning, adapting, self-critiquing, etc. are just some of what make Frank a Proctor

His love of shooting is a serious contagion that should be reported to the CDC.

This weekend I was the gimp having torn a meniscus in my only good remaining knee a fortnight ago (why do we have just two knees?!)...

Quote:
Zed: Bring out the Gimp.
Maynard: Gimp's sleeping.
Zed: Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
Outstanding AAR. As Frank complimented you continuously Mr. "Smooth".

We had a lot of great shooters and the ultimate instructor/shooter/student in Frank.

Reasoning, progression, efficiencies, demoes, one-on-one assists/instruction/coaching/diagnostics, competing, learning, adapting, self-critiquing, etc. are just some of what make Frank a Proctor

His love of shooting is a serious contagion that should be reported to the CDC.

This weekend I was the gimp having torn a meniscus in my only good remaining knee a fortnight ago (why do we have just two knees?!)...
Says the 'gimp' who won every shoot off!
Old 02-25-2013, 8:27 AM

Drats! Missed out on what seemed to be a great class Was this class announced here?

Edit: Nevermind. Found Phong's thread. I need to spend less time on the 2A forum.

Last edited by gesundheit; 02-25-2013 at 8:30 AM..
Old 02-25-2013, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
Drats! Missed out on what seemed to be a great class Was this class announced here?

Edit: Nevermind. Found Phong's thread. I need to spend less time on the 2A forum.
Nice AAR Sven!

I too missed this one as I was thinking it was only a one day class (Feb. 22nd) and more of a combined pistol/carbine.
Old 02-25-2013, 9:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post

Hey man,
The intro classes were the only public classes he taught. This AAR referenced a 2 day advanced pistol class that was not publicly announced since it was a custom class and the roster of shooters was already known.

Thank you for the outstanding AAR Steven!
After a very busy 2012 of traveling, Frank told me that the shooters in SoCal are the best group of guys he's ever trained with. You guys make the classes such a great experience for all involved.
Old 02-25-2013, 8:41 PM

He didn't win all the shoot offs!!!
I got the 7/15/25 on steel towards end of day 2 but I'm not saying anything!
Great AAR!
Old 02-25-2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenFrost View Post
Says the 'gimp' who won every shoot off!
Not so. Rob won the reload with a nice shirt from Frank. Gerard won the 7/15/25 yards with 5 rounds each. I'm sure others won as well. Lots of man on man competitions following courses of instruction and repetitions.
Old 02-25-2013, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin16 View Post
He didn't win all the shoot offs!!!
I got the 7/15/25 on steel towards end of day 2 but I'm not saying anything!
Great AAR!
Yes to all that. I'm glad you were able to drive down from NorCal since a lot of the instruction was perhaps even more geared towards a serious USPSA shooter like yourself.
Old 03-02-2013, 1:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkgSM...l2d0mN-Un5_X-w

Last edited by SvenFrost; 03-02-2013 at 1:11 PM..
Old 03-02-2013, 4:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice! Can't wait to see the entire video.

"Somewhere, Something Incredible is Waiting to be Known" -Carl Sagan

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 03-02-2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenFrost View Post

Nice.

Phong has shot a lot of video of Frank since his visit to Alabama a year ago including several days worth in California.

Lots of instruction, sizzle, substance and performances.
Old 03-03-2013, 1:07 AM

Looks like a training DVD is in the works.