Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 02-24-2013, 4:30 PM

Default Yolo Sportsmen's Range experience

i just got back from shooting at yolo sportsmen's and i have to say this place is the best range ive ever been to. the staff is etremely friendly and helpful. fellow shooters were the same. the place is kept clean. the range officers even helped me to drift my front sight on my mosin and spot my shots to get it sighted in. anyone looking for a shooting range in the north bay area/ sac area should go here!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I loved shooting at Yolo. Cheap memberships, pretty empty, and friendly people.
Old 02-24-2013, 4:51 PM
40 ounce sipper
CGN Contributor

Old 02-24-2013, 5:15 PM

yolo
Old 03-14-2013, 9:35 AM

Yeah I enjoy that range. It can get pretty breezy sometimes (my wife hates wind) but it doesn't bother me much. Very cheap annual memberships, and there are some good eats in Davis right down the road.
I think I would go with a Telecaster. The bolt on neck would be the strongest to deal with terrorist zombies. I know most folks will say Strat, but I think the trem system is unreliable.
I mean, who needs to dive bomb when SHTF? That only happens in movies.
CERTIFIABLE RIMFIRE JUNKIE.

Alpinestars Track Pants for sale!
Old 03-14-2013, 9:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I agree!
Old 03-14-2013, 4:00 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

I can't wait to see what it is like with dry ground this weekend!!

Scott
Old 03-15-2013, 8:08 PM

I've been a family member at YSA for a number of years now, love it. Great folks to deal with.
Old 03-15-2013, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russt View Post
i just got back from shooting at yolo sportsmen's and i have to say this place is the best range ive ever been to. the staff is etremely friendly and helpful. fellow shooters were the same. the place is kept clean. the range officers even helped me to drift my front sight on my mosin and spot my shots to get it sighted in. anyone looking for a shooting range in the north bay area/ sac area should go here!!!
Yeah the crew there is top notch. It's my daily driver (I'm there pretty much everyday before work on the 50 yard line). Blake (the CRO) is super helpful and overall a great guy with advice and good conversation.

At $3/visit for members and an annual membership cost of only $50 it can't be beat for the area.

Regarding the breeze/wind: Avoid the 11:15-3:45pm time if the forecast is for a breeze that day. I don't know if it's voodoo or what but we joke about it at the line, the wind will just stop at 3:45pm for the rest of the day. You can almost set your clock to it.

Plus at that hour the line looks like this:

Old 03-31-2013, 1:33 PM

I don't like YSA.
Stuck in the past, can't even be bothered to get a credit card reader. I almost never carry cash, so when I go out there and hand them a CC, they just look at me funny. At this point, its easy to get a cheap, or even free CC reader. Why restrict your ability to take people's money???

Their website is old and out dated. How hard would it be to have somebody update it, even once a month? I have been out there several times to sign up for classes, only to be told, "That class is full". Certainly they have a club member that is internet savvy enough to update their website.

I live in Yolo County, and would like to use the place more, even become a YSA member, but their unwillingness to join the modern world turns me off.
Old 04-08-2013, 7:12 PM

I enjoy YSA. The people are helpful and friendly, and the range is clean. I have taken classes there and have nothing bad to say about the place. I am a member so the range fees can't be beat.
Old 04-14-2013, 6:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was just there today. Usually go about twice a month.
YSA
Old 04-14-2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
I don't like YSA.
Stuck in the past, can't even be bothered to get a credit card reader. I almost never carry cash, so when I go out there and hand them a CC, they just look at me funny. At this point, its easy to get a cheap, or even free CC reader.
Physical limitation of location. I've brought it up several times and the answer is the same every time. Due to their location off the street there's no infrastructure from AT&T to run a line to their office to provide a reliable and secure phone line to allow the CC to run.

Same with Internet connectivity (I proposed a Square-like solution).

Plus, they've been a cash only shop for years and it's always busy just the same. If you've been there before and you know it's cash only there's no excuse to purposefully go to the range and not have cash.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Never been to a range that takes credit cards and I've been competing for 35 years now.Most will take checks.