Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM

Default Prohibiting Misdemeanors

I know there are certain misdemeanors that can prevent you from having anything to do with firearms for 10 years but my question is, is there any misdemeanors that would prohibit someone from owning firearms for life, if so could someone provide a link and explain them a little bit.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

D.V.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 PM

Domestic Violence I assume, Is that the only one?
Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

See also http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Fi...s_prohibitions

Assault with a firearm ( 12021(a)(1), 12001.6(a).)
Shooting at an inhabited or occupied dwelling house, building, vehicle, aircraft, housecar or camper ( 246, 12021(a)(1), 12001.6(b).)
Brandishing a firearm in presence of a peace officer ( 417(c), 12001.6(d), 12021(a)(1).)
Two or more convictions of 417(a)(2) ( 12021(a)(2).)
A “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” ( 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(33)(A), 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(9).)

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-23-2013, 1:12 AM

i never knew D.V. was life. i thought it was 10 years.
Old 02-23-2013, 2:58 AM

Thank's guys, my brother in law will be relieved to see this, he was thinking P.C. 12020 A.1 which is a flopper from what I am told and can be charged as a felony or misdemeanor, ( he was only charged with a misdemeanors) would in fact be a lifetime ban, he originally thought it was a 10 year ban but I don't see it anywhere on the list of prohibited misdemeanors.
Old 02-23-2013, 5:16 AM

Good rule of thumb is anything violent is a 10 year ban. D.V charge is a federal lifetime ban; you could ask for a pardon, good luck there.
Old 02-23-2013, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
D.V.
Just curious, is it so difficult to write out domestic violence boss? I am picking on you right now, but more and more peeps have just gotten too lazy to type out 5 - 10 additional letters. Does this cause your arm to fall off or you to go into a seizure? Will the world end? Dogs and cats living together! Many acronyms are well known (lol, imo) but many different forums have the same acronyms for a different meaning.....peeps are getting so lazy that our paragraphs will look like this one day:

"YHJM GHJD DDF. TISCTIWTS. ICBTPCBSLCY? SSCTTTWHBSALSATNBTWOOS."

You better shape up if you want me to invite you to on my next Philippines donkey show trip.....because I know you are dying to go! Haha!

Sorry, thread jack over.
Old 02-23-2013, 7:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubb View Post
Just curious, is it so difficult to write out domestic violence boss? I am picking on you right now, but more and more peeps have just gotten too lazy to type out 5 - 10 additional letters. Does this cause your arm to fall off or you to go into a seizure? Will the world end? Dogs and cats living together! Many acronyms are well known (lol, imo) but many different forums have the same acronyms for a different meaning.....peeps are getting so lazy that our paragraphs will look like this one day:

You better shape up if you want me to invite you to on my next Philippines donkey show trip.....because I know you are dying to go! Haha!

Sorry, thread jack over.

WTF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_electron View Post
PE card? LOL! Any green kid out of engineering school can get that with a few years of experience.
Old 02-23-2013, 7:37 AM
Likes Puppy Chow or Ammo
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Sorry, thread jack over.
No offense to five five six. I knew what he meant, but this rant was F....ing funny.
Old 02-23-2013, 7:37 AM

Just a heads up, but one of the bills going through the legislature would apply a ten year ban for some non-violent misdemeanors too. Interfering with a police officer, or an official broadcast or something along those lines

here:

Quote:
AB 740, as introduced, Alejo. Firearms.
Existing law provides that certain prohibitions on the transfer of firearms do not apply if the transfer is among other things, infrequent. Existing law defines “infrequent” for these purposes as less than 6 transactions per calendar year for handguns, and occasional and without regularity for firearms other than handguns. Existing law defines “transaction” for these purposes as a single sale, lease, or transfer of any number of handguns.
This bill would define “infrequent” for purposes of these provisions as less than 5 firearms transactions per calendar year. The bill would revise the definition of “transaction” for these purposes to mean a single sale, lease, or transfer of any number of firearms.
By expanding the definitions of the underlying crimes affected by the definition of infrequent, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
Existing law, subject to exceptions, provides that any person who has been convicted of certain misdemeanors may not, within 10 years of the conviction, own, purchase, receive, possess, or have under his or her custody or control, any firearm. Violation of this prohibition is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison, by a fine not exceeding $1,000, or by both that imprisonment and fine.
This bill would add to the list of misdemeanors, the conviction for which is subject to those prohibitions, a violation of the above-described 10-year prohibition, as well as the misdemeanor offenses of interfering with a public official, peace officer, or emergency technician interfering with transmissions over a public safety radio frequency; a violation of the provision requiring a person to be a licensed firearms dealer in order to sell, lease, or transfer firearms; possession of ammunition by a person prohibited from possessing firearms; supplying, delivering, selling, or giving possession or control of ammunition to a person prohibited from possessing firearms; and carrying ammunition on school grounds, as specified.
By expanding the scope of an existing crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.
Old 02-23-2013, 8:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPro View Post
i never knew D.V. was life. i thought it was 10 years.

It was 10 years but then they changed it to life. It really sucks for people that"took the deal" back when it was only 10 years. I know one such person who had a bla bla bla with his GF back in his early 20's. He is 50 now, a model citizen and prohibited for life.
Old 02-23-2013, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Sorry, thread jack over.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It was 10 years but then they changed it to life. It really sucks for people that"took the deal" back when it was only 10 years. I know one such person who had a bla bla bla with his GF back in his early 20's. He is 50 now, a model citizen and prohibited for life.
When was this changed?
Old 02-23-2013, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPro View Post
When was this changed?