Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 PM

Default Jailed a Marlin XT-22 today...time to buy a few things for it :)

Today, I jailed a Marlin XT-22 at Entreprise Arms in Irwindale. I wanted a tube fed model originally but after a couple months of calling around and visiting local shops and checking online with no luck, I gave up and decided to settle for the magazine fed model. I plan on using this gun for pest/rodent control as well as a cheap range toy. The main reason I wanted a tube fed model was to be able to shoot 22 shorts and longs. I'll still be able shoot CB shorts and longs out of the magazine fed model, I'll just have to load them one by one, which brings me to my first question. Does anybody know where I can purchase a single-shot sled to slide in place of a magazine so I can single shot the rifle?

And I plan on using iron sights only on this rifle. I plan on purchasing Tech Sights for it. My question is do the Tech Sights screw directly into the receiver or do I need to buy a rail and attach it to the rail?

My next question is aftermarket stocks, Does anybody know a company that manufactures aftermarket stocks for the Marlin XT series rimfire rifles?

My final question is, what websites sell aftermarket parts/accessories for it? I've already checked Midway USA and signed up to be notified when the 7 and 10 round magazines come back in stock but want to see what aftermarket parts are out there for this gun.

I picked up this rifle mostly because of the good reviews on its accuracy as well as its price. I compared it to a Savage that was around the same price and I wasn't too happy with the synthetic stock that came on the Savage (even though I plan on seeing what aftermarket stocks are out there and changing it out to something better) and the fact that the Marlin also came with an adjustable trigger (Pro-Fire vs. Accutrigger).

Thanks for the help, and yes, pictures and range report will follow as soon as I get the gun and will do a accuracy test between federal bulk, CCI mini-mags, Velocitors, and whatever other ammo I can get my hands on.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member

Single shot adapter: find the adapter from/for the Marlin XT-22YR. Might just call Marlin Parts Store. Shouldn't be too expensive. It's just a little block of plastic.

The rest should be answered here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=628597
Old 02-21-2013, 5:14 AM
Veteran Member

I just picked up my XT-22 yesterday from Turner's. I mounted a Pentex 4x12 by 40mm scope on it. I used these mounts. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/299...-base-12-gloss Midway was out of them but GRABAGUN had them for $6.50 each with free shipping. The trigger is decent on it but the stock is plastic and pretty cheap. If it shoots good I'll be happy. I'm going to shoot it saturday against my marlin 7000 and my bull barrel ruger 10/22 for comparison.
As for tech sights they look like they will screw right onto the receiver. The only thing I would worry about is if the barrel is canted in the receiver. I have read where some 795 rifles are that way. Being marlin rimfire sights are both on the barrel that isn't a problem. But if you have the front sight on the barrel and the rear on the receiver as with tech sights canting could be a problem.

Last edited by railroader; 02-21-2013 at 5:25 AM..
Old 02-21-2013, 5:59 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

For aftermarket stocks: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...=7334&cat=1217

I own 4 of their stocks, first rate, drop in fit, call or email them if you have questions.
Old 02-21-2013, 6:50 AM

Sweet! Thanks guys, I totally forgot about Williams fire sights too. Now I gotta decide between which sights I want. Those stock ones have got to go lol.

And roushstage2, awesome thread you started, very informative!
Old 02-21-2013, 7:46 AM
.22LR Riffle
CGN Contributor

good buy. i have the magazine fed XT-22 and love it. its my favorite one out of all my rimfires.

i want to get 2-3 XT-22 tube fed rifles in the future because you get to shoot the long and short ammo. and that it holds 20+ rounds from what i remember.

I went with a few airsoft stock conversions for my XT-22 like the M200 Cheytac Intervention and AICS
Old 02-21-2013, 3:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The tech sights, at least on a Marlin 795, grab the existing rail for the rear sight and replace the front sight.

I found using a scope easier actually, but I figured I'd keep the tech sights to teach the kids how to shoot with irons when the time comes.
Old 02-21-2013, 9:24 PM
Veteran Member

I put down a deposit for a Marlin XT-22 on the 13th, but they're on back order at Turners in Reseda. Have no idea when they're coming in. Hope I get it soon.

I'm digging those Firesights. Anyone have any first hand experience with those?

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 02-22-2013, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNunez23 View Post
I don't have Firesights on my Marlin, but I do have them on my Henry lever action. For me, they make the sights much easier to pick up, so I end up being more accurate. They are easy to install, although, on the Henry, they need a screw that wasn't supplied for the front sight (they assume it's already on the gun, but my new Henry had a plastic sight base).
Old 02-22-2013, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldude View Post
I don't have Firesights on my Marlin, but I do have them on my Henry lever action. For me, they make the sights much easier to pick up, so I end up being more accurate. They are easy to install, although, on the Henry, they need a screw that wasn't supplied for the front sight (they assume it's already on the gun, but my new Henry had a plastic sight base).
Very cool. Thanks for the input Caldude.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNunez23 View Post
I put down a deposit for a Marlin XT-22 on the 13th, but they're on back order at Turners in Reseda. Have no idea when they're coming in. Hope I get it soon.

I haven't even shot my XT-22 with the stock iron sights on them yet, but am going to order a set of fire sights for them and I'll post up my experience with them ASAP.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 PM

I would suggest shoot it first and figure out what you need. The cash could go to another mod that might he needed first. That being said i have purchased upgrades for my guns without shooting them either because 10 days are reaaaallly long lol.
Old 03-21-2013, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RDGEARGRNDRR View Post
I would suggest shoot it first and figure out what you need. The cash could go to another mod that might he needed first. That being said i have purchased upgrades for my guns without shooting them either because 10 days are reaaaallly long lol.
I've never been a fan of black front sight posts mainly because I shoot at paper targets and I have difficulty seeing the front sights against a black bullseye, that's why I prefer colored or fiber optic sights over regular black iron sights.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 PM

Boyds has a nice thumbhole stock
check out my thread regarding the "Marlin XT-22RO stock swap"
Old 03-22-2013, 9:05 AM
Patient@GunAddictWard
CGN Contributor

COngrats!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh2oguy View Post
Boyds has a nice thumbhole stock
check out my thread regarding the "Marlin XT-22RO stock swap"
As of right now, I'm going to stick to the stock it came with, but I know for sure I will be changing it out in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.